3a Semifinal: Covington at Pearl Cohn

00Chargers

24 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

Good points and I didn't mean to sound like I was underestimating Giles. Here is my train of thought, Covington also plays a style of offense that eats clock and controls the ball and limits the opponents opportunities to score. Covington has been to the state title game the last two years and its defense is battle tested.

PC has only scored 40 points on one team that had a winning record this year. PC gave up 40 to Hillsboro, another team with a losing record.  PC only scored 14 and 28 points the two games it played against east Nashville this year.

I'm not saying Covington should win, I'm just saying I  doubt PC will score 42 on them. I could happen with some turnovers and special teams plays. But with the offense Covington runs, you have to hit more than a few big plays to put up 42.

I looked at Giles schedule, again not taking anything away from them, but I think the only team they played that made the quarter finals was PC.

You are right about the Covington defense. I've been to most Covington games since 1983 and I've never seen a Covington defense this strong. It's better that the last two years. The most points we gave up this season was 20 to South Gibson in a regular season loss. We were averaging 10 points given up per game before we shut out Wooddale last week.

That's why I told a poster earlier that if PC can score 28 on our defense, PC would probably win.

37 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

Good points and I didn't mean to sound like I was underestimating Giles. Here is my train of thought, Covington also plays a style of offense that eats clock and controls the ball and limits the opponents opportunities to score. Covington has been to the state title game the last two years and its defense is battle tested.

PC has only scored 40 points on one team that had a winning record this year. PC gave up 40 to Hillsboro, another team with a losing record.  PC only scored 14 and 28 points the two games it played against east Nashville this year.

I'm not saying Covington should win, I'm just saying I  doubt PC will score 42 on them. I could happen with some turnovers and special teams plays. But with the offense Covington runs, you have to hit more than a few big plays to put up 42.

I looked at Giles schedule, again not taking anything away from them, but I think the only team they played that made the quarter finals was PC.

Hillsboro was a different team when their RB got hurt in the second half of the season.

8 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

You are right about the Covington defense. I've been to most Covington games since 1983 and I've never seen a Covington defense this strong. It's better that the last two years. The most points we gave up this season was 20 to South Gibson in a regular season loss. We were averaging 10 points given up per game before we shut out Wooddale last week.

That's why I told a poster earlier that if PC can score 28 on our defense, PC would probably win.

Just to play devils advocate, Covington probably hasn't seen the team speed and athleticism that PC will bring to the table either.

But PC was more explosive in 17 and still didn't put 42 on Covington. Charger are so well coached and eat so much clock on offense, putting over 40 on them is a job unless you get some turnovers or special teams tds.

4 hours ago, 32hammer said:

PC only scored 28 vs Giles (twice) . You think they are scoring 42 on Covington?  Wow.

GIles scored 28 or less against EN, Strafford, page, Marshall County, Tullahoma, Fairview and Strafford (again)

You must think Covington has really dropped off on defense or the offense isn't  good enough this year to sustain drives or eat enough clock.

I believe Giles County, East Nashville, Stratford, and Fairview could have all competed with Covington this year.  Once again that's just my opinion and if the Chargers win this week you can all serve me my 42-14 helping of crow.  I'll gladly add it to my plate of leftovers this Turkey Day Weekend.  

16 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

McNasty put up 27 on us! But yea, I doubt anyone will put 42 on this Defense. My only hope is that we can put up more points than them! It’ll come down to special teams, turnovers, and key penalties.

Edited by 00Chargers

Just now, howdoitknow said:

I believe Giles County, East Nashville, Stratford, and Fairview could have all competed with Covington this year.  Once again that's just my opinion and if the Chargers win this week you can all serve me my 42-14 helping of crow.  I'll gladly add it to my plate of leftovers this Turkey Day Weekend.  

No need to eat crow over the bold. Its just a non abrasive opinion.  Its more than possible. Not a lot of common opponents between the two regions, so objective comparative information is hard to come by.

The style of play that Covington uses can keep games close if they are better than the team they are playing or not as good as the team they are playing. So The bold statement could very well be true.  By that same logic the 42-14 score is just as unlikely.

2 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

No need to eat crow over the bold. Its just a non abrasive opinion.  Its more than possible. Not a lot of common opponents between the two regions, so objective comparative information is hard to come by.

The style of play that Covington uses can keep games close if they are better than the team they are playing or not as good as the team they are playing. So The bold statement could very well be true.  By that same logic the 42-14 score is just as unlikely.

32Hammer knows his football!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

McNasty put up 27 on us! But yea, I doubt anyone will put 42 on this Defense.

Again, its hard to say definitively since there is very little cross region information to go on. My statement is based on the fact that Covington is usually very well coached, has a good game plan based on their opponent, has an offense that will eat lots of clock, has some talented players and will play hard.

Its difficult to put 42 on a team like that in the semis. But I've been wrong before.

1 minute ago, 32hammer said:

Again, its hard to say definitively since there is very little cross region information to go on. My statement is based on the fact that Covington is usually very well coached, has a good game plan based on their opponent, has an offense that will eat lots of clock, has some talented players and will play hard.

Its difficult to put 42 on a team like that in the semis. But I've been wrong before.

I’m sure you were at the game last year in Cookeville, as I was. Each team had less than 5 possessions totals I believe. Alcoa and Covington will clock manage you to sleep...lol. 

5 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

I’m sure you were at the game last year in Cookeville, as I was. Each team had less than 5 possessions totals I believe. Alcoa and Covington will clock manage you to sleep...lol. 

If I remember correctly, Alcoa had its 4th possession after the 4th quarter started. We had scored twice and had one fumble on the previous three. It was a strange game for sure.

1 hour ago, 32hammer said:

Look we don't care how many points we win by! It can be 10-9 or 14-13 along as we win. So all the comparisons to teams we played in the past, that will play no part whatsoever Friday night. 

Edited by FIREBIRD80