3a Semifinal: Covington at Pearl Cohn

00Chargers

35 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I appreciate the history on Pearl-Cohn. Is your coach the same guy who played QB at Ole Miss?

Looking at your list of wins, I decided to check them out in the Sonny_Moore power rankings. The latest ranking, BTW, shows Covington at 128 and PC at 127. Pretty even.

As far as the teams you beat this year, MBA is the only one who is up there in the power rankings (at 132). The rest are 122 or lower, so I'll give you props for that MBA win, but according to this list, anyway, none of your other wins rated as high as Covington.

If it makes you feel better to project a 42-14 win, that's fine with me. All I can say is that Covington will show up and we'll play the best we can. Let's see what the score is after the game.

QB that played for Ole Miss is his nephew!!!

Just now, BCsportsfan said:

What did 'ol sonny Moore poll say about Alcoa's chance?

Sonny says - do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

Seriously, y'all are ranked 143, so that's what, about 15 points higher than Covington or PC.  But, sometimes that pointy ball takes funny bounces. That's why they play these games. Otherwise, we could stay home and let the computer tell us who won.

I'd rather play for the Gold Ball and go home with the Silver Ball than to never get a chance to be there at all. plus, I can get Ralph's donuts in Cookeville.

16 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

While we are talking history, let's look at data from the TSSAA website comparing the football history of the two schools:

Pearl-Cohn

Playoff record - 43-19

22 appearances in the playoffs

Finals - 2015, 1997, 1996

Championships 1997, 1996

Covington

Playoff record - 46-22

23 appearances in the playoffs

Finals - 2018, 2017, 2012, 2003, 2000, 1971

Championships None

What I get out of this is that the two schools have remarkably similar records in TSSAA playoffs. PC has two championships, and Covington has never won one. On the other hand, Covington has been in the finals 6 times to PC's 3. Still, PC gets bragging rights for two Gold Balls back 20-odd years ago.

I think that each school deserves respect. I'm not going to beat my chest and proclaim Covington the winner right now. I'll wait to see who is ahead after the final whistle.  

That's alot of silver tho!!! Pearl Cohn wasn't even around in 71...lol

1 minute ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Sonny says - do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

Seriously, y'all are ranked 143, so that's what, about 15 points higher than Covington or PC.  But, sometimes that pointy ball takes funny bounces. That's why they play these games. Otherwise, we could stay home and let the computer tell us who won.

I'd rather play for the Gold Ball and go home with the Silver Ball than to never get a chance to be there at all. plus, I can get Ralph's donuts in Cookeville.

Ha! You either go by it or not?! You used it to compare PC to Covington, but not for #1 Alcoa?

Probably a good choice.  Never could figure out that polls logistics. Now, the other you used, TSSAA historical playoff and Championships would be better. Those are facts. Like the 17 state Championships won by Alcoa!:thumb:

2 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

Ha! You either go by it or not?! You used it to compare PC to Covington, but not for #1 Alcoa?

Probably a good choice.  Never could figure out that polls logistics. Now, the other you used, TSSAA historical playoff and Championships would be better. Those are facts. Like the 17 state Championships won by Alcoa!:thumb:

Nah, you didn't take my comments the way I intended. Alcoa would be the heavy favorite if Covington made it to Cookeville. By Sonny_Moore or any other ranking you would be picked to win. Y'all are in another thread, so I didn't comment on you here.

But, as y'all found out last year, our little West Tennessee guys are fairly tough. As I recall, y'all scored in the last two minutes to take the lead and win the game. It wasn't a blow-out and we enjoyed the competition. 

No doubt, y'all can probably get an 18th state title. But if you play us, we won't lay down and just roll over.   

9 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Nah, you didn't take my comments the way I intended. Alcoa would be the heavy favorite if Covington made it to Cookeville. By Sonny_Moore or any other ranking you would be picked to win. Y'all are in another thread, so I didn't comment on you here.

But, as y'all found out last year, our little West Tennessee guys are fairly tough. As I recall, y'all scored in the last two minutes to take the lead and win the game. It wasn't a blow-out and we enjoyed the competition. 

No doubt, y'all can probably get an 18th state title. But if you play us, we won't lay down and just roll over.   

Yeh, same here, that was my point too......i wouldn't read into that poll! Alcoa knows that the games in Cookeville will be a war!

Makes for fun games to watch and yap about!B)