1A State Semi Finals South Pittsburg @ Greenback

orngnblk

2 minutes ago, jake said:

Morning to ALL...I hope everyone is set to have a very Happy Thanksgiving!!  When we choose to focus on how many blessings we have been given, we all have a lot to be thankful for!!

The game:  most scenarios have been discussed as to what needs to happen for both teams.  From what I have seen, I agree with O&B, GB will have to play their best game of the year to have a shot in this one.  I was at the game in SP in 2016 and watched SP jump out to a quick lead, it took some time for GB to get adjusted to their speed. I think GB will have to do the same thing Friday night as SP is by far the fastest team they have seen, GB needs to adjust quickly.  SP will send more than GB can block to get pressure on QB, can GB hit some hot routes and make them pay for doing that?  If SP can get pressure with their defensive front without having to send LB's, GB is in trouble.  GB will stack the box to stop the run, can the SP QB make them pay?  Obviously, SP will try to keep 23 from beating them, will the other GB receivers step up and make clutch plays when the ball has to come their way?  GB will have to be able to run the football efficiently enough to keep the defense honest.  Then the ugly questions for a big game:  1. Which team can settle down and execute their game plan first without letting the emotions of this game to negatively effect their game plan with a bunch of stupid penalties and altercations.  2. and finally, who wins the turnover battle?

GB needs to be in the lead heading into the 4th quarter to have a shot as the depth of SP will come into play.  I believe this game will be a good one and I hope everyone has safe travels to and from the game and hope the game will be played with sportsmanship by the players and the fans the way it should be.

Good post jake and have a happy Thanksgiving!

William Blount is a 6A school that shares a zoning border with GB. Some kids zoned for WB actually have a GB address. Why are kids not transferring to WB? Instead you have WB kids begging their parents to move their families so they can attend GB.

Just now, pujo said:

Because they are not located around a bunch of big schools. Put Cloudland in Johnson City and they would have 50 state Championships.

If that were true than Johnson City would have all the championships instead of Maryville 6A and Alcoa 3A.

Alcoa has won 12 of the last 15 state championships, Maryville has had a historic run in 6A, missing maybe two state championship games in 18 years.

Yet Blount county doesn't have the population or big schools of Kingsport, Nashville, Memphis or Knoxville. So you argument is invalid.

Maybe Blount County ( which in this discussion includes GB), simply has better athletes, better coaching and/ or harder working kids ? While that statement may be subjective and open to debate, the argument that its because of being around a bunch of big schools can not be valid based on the success of Maryville/Alcoa over all of the other schools in the larger metro areas.

• Like 1

Just now, jake said:

Morning to ALL...I hope everyone is set to have a very Happy Thanksgiving!!  When we choose to focus on how many blessings we have been given, we all have a lot to be thankful for!!

The game:  most scenarios have been discussed as to what needs to happen for both teams.  From what I have seen, I agree with O&B, GB will have to play their best game of the year to have a shot in this one.  I was at the game in SP in 2016 and watched SP jump out to a quick lead, it took some time for GB to get adjusted to their speed. I think GB will have to do the same thing Friday night as SP is by far the fastest team they have seen, GB needs to adjust quickly.  SP will send more than GB can block to get pressure on QB, can GB hit some hot routes and make them pay for doing that?  If SP can get pressure with their defensive front without having to send LB's, GB is in trouble.  GB will stack the box to stop the run, can the SP QB make them pay?  Obviously, SP will try to keep 23 from beating them, will the other GB receivers step up and make clutch plays when the ball has to come their way?  GB will have to be able to run the football efficiently enough to keep the defense honest.  Then the ugly questions for a big game:  1. Which team can settle down and execute their game plan first without letting the emotions of this game to negatively effect their game plan with a bunch of stupid penalties and altercations.  2. and finally, who wins the turnover battle?

GB needs to be in the lead heading into the 4th quarter to have a shot as the depth of SP will come into play.  I believe this game will be a good one and I hope everyone has safe travels to and from the game and hope the game will be played with sportsmanship by the players and the fans the way it should be.

Great post.

Just now, 32hammer said:

William Blount is a 6A school that shares a zoning border with GB. Some kids zoned for WB actually have a GB address. Why are kids not transferring to WB? Instead you have WB kids begging their parents to move their families so they can attend GB.

If that were true than Johnson City would have all the championships instead of Maryville 6A and Alcoa 3A.

Alcoa has won 12 of the last 15 state championships, Maryville has had a historic run in 6A, missing maybe two state championship games in 18 years.

Yet Blount county doesn't have the population or big schools of Kingsport, Nashville, Memphis or Knoxville. So you argument is invalid.

Maybe Blount County ( which in this discussion includes GB), simply has better athletes, better coaching and/ or harder working kids ? While that statement may be subjective and open to debate, the argument that its because of being around a bunch of big schools can not be valid based on the success of Maryville/Alcoa over all of the other schools in the larger metro areas.

You and everyone else knows the deal, Its not all that hard .

6 minutes ago, jake said:

Nice pregame synopsis....

Just now, 32hammer said:

Local talented kids, great schools, community support, amazing coaching staffs and a relentless hard working off season program that produces championships

All state and Mr football Transfers, that simple enough for you. Think I'm talking to a rock.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, CaptainJackRackam said:

Appreciate that reaction! Haven’t been in this type of playoff type atmosphere in a while! Brings back the goosebumps I had in 08 at Boyd! I can bet one thing though, it will not be nowhere near as cold this Friday night as it was at your place in 08! I believe I had 6 layers of clothes on that night! Brrrrr

That night was so cold. At least we had some good, hard hitting football to keep our minds off our frozen limbs. :thumb: I'll definitely be keeping track of this one. 

3 minutes ago, pujo said:

All state and Mr football Transfers, that simple enough for you. Think I'm talking to a rock.

Which one of them was an All-State player last year or a mister football candidate last year I'm kind of lost on that comment? The linebacker from Tellico but he won't win all State playing for us.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, pujo said:

Were they all state or MR. football before they transferred? Again why aren't other talented kids from bigger schools transferring to other 1A schools?

It comes back to a culture they want to be involved in, coaches they want be coached by, a school they want to attend and a community they want to play for and that supports them.

Its always interesting to hear other folks opinions, but I think objective evidence prevails

• Upvote 1