Classification Change 2020

HitEmLow

7 hours ago, dragonrider said:

I don't necessarily think everything should be left up to numbers.  Too many schools "fix" the numbers.  Teams that dominate a certain class should be MADE to play up (eg. Alcoa).  

So  smaller schools who excel (Alcoa) should be punished because your school cant beat them?  Thats all I see when I read your post 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, dragonrider said:

I don't necessarily think everything should be left up to numbers.  Too many schools "fix" the numbers.  Teams that dominate a certain class should be MADE to play up (eg. Alcoa).  

We would have 3 yrs ago if people didn’t run to 5a and cause us to travel to Johnson city or Chattanooga for our district 

oh By the way the last 2yrs the top 4-5 teams in 3a would beat 9 out of 10 4-5-6a teams

Pearl snack a few in middle Tn this past yr just to prove my point.

We are good and we would smack everyone in 4-5-6a also till you get to the top 4 teams in each division. 

Schools recruit/schools fix numbers/blah blah blah

• Upvote 1

you all are missing the point I was making.  Geography should be looked at as much as numbers. There are too many rural schools having to drive forever to play region games.  Alcoa has nothing to do with it.  Why I brought Alcoa into the topic is there are many states who require teams to play up if they win multiple championships in the division they are playing in.  By the way there were no other 3A schools that would come close to competing in 5 or 6A (besides Alcoa).  

On 4/20/2020 at 2:21 PM, Swipes said:

How would you do it then if it's not up to numbers? Thats the most fair way to do it when playing similar in size. (Maybe teams need to learn to get better instead of complaining).  It wouldn't matter if Alcoa was bumped up to 4a or 5a they would still dominate......

Finally someone that knows what their talking about

you all are missing the point I was making.  Geography should be looked at as much as numbers. There are too many rural schools having to drive forever to play region games.  Alcoa has nothing to do with it.  Why I brought Alcoa into the topic is there are many states who require teams to play up if they win multiple championships in the division they are playing in.  By the way there were no other 3A schools that would come close to competing in 5 or 6A (besides Alcoa).  

What states do that

Just Look at Pearl Cohns record last yr and who they played

On 4/21/2020 at 6:21 PM, TornadoLeadRecruiter said:

Finally someone that knows what their talking about

Maryville plays up a class. I would love and hate to see Alcoa move up a class or two. It would be great to see them play better teams but would be bad if we had to play them. But I would love to see how many teams try to run from them.

Any move-ups should be approved by the TSSAA, based on wanting more competition or for travel reasons, not fleeing competition. That would solve many problems. 

Classifications based on a combination of enrollment-averaged over the previous five years except for new schools, and success rate would be reasonable. Limit any moves up or down to only two classes unless by choice for going up. 

23 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

3A is more challenging than 4A honestly.  

Overall I can't say I agree.  Yes you have the Alcoa, PC, and Covington that have been the top dogs in 3a.  Alcoa would have a tougher road against Greeneville, Betsy, and AC in 4a than any team they play up to the championship game in 3a.  Austin East gave Alcoa the best game in the play-offs up until the championship game and that same AE team got blown out by Greeneville who only made it to the Quarters last year in 4a