Classification Change 2020

HitEmLow

On 4/23/2020 at 10:12 AM, Djohnson said:

Maryville plays up a class. I would love and hate to see Alcoa move up a class or two. It would be great to see them play better teams but would be bad if we had to play them. But I would love to see how many teams try to run from them.

No they don’t. They have about 1700-1750 students. They are getting so big they had to move the freshman out of the hs and into the JR high and build another middle school 

-your allowed by rule in the state to go up one class. We tried 3 yrs ago to go to 4a and 3 schools ran to 5a which would have been in our district. We would have been in a district in Chattanooga or Johnson city. So the administration decided to stay in 3a due to cost and travel for fans

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Swipes said:

Overall I can't say I agree.  Yes you have the Alcoa, PC, and Covington that have been the top dogs in 3a.  Alcoa would have a tougher road against Greeneville, Betsy, and AC in 4a than any team they play up to the championship game in 3a.  Austin East gave Alcoa the best game in the play-offs up until the championship game and that same AE team got blown out by Greeneville who only made it to the Quarters last year in 4a

AE would not have been blown out by Greenville late in the yr. they get better every yr late in the season. Half the kids at AE play other sports in summer Or don’t show up till school starts and they always start off slow and get much much much better as the Yr goes on. We rolled them 2nd game and then in playoffs had to deal with them for 3 qts till we pulled away

On 4/23/2020 at 11:46 AM, howdoitknow said:

3A is more challenging than 4A honestly.  

It might be the toughest class in the state (pound for pound). In 3A the schools aren't so big to where you only get 1 year or so to start. Most 3A schools I know of also have only 1 junior high so you build continuity from a young age. When you couple starting experience with team continuity it can be dangerous. Also in 3A you don't have the depth problem like you can see in a lot of  1-2A schools

On 4/23/2020 at 12:58 PM, Indian said:

Any move-ups should be approved by the TSSAA, based on wanting more competition or for travel reasons, not fleeing competition. That would solve many problems. 

Classifications based on a combination of enrollment-averaged over the previous five years except for new schools, and success rate would be reasonable. Limit any moves up or down to only two classes unless by choice for going up. 

Regular season Schedules are set for 2 yrs.

class changes happen every 4 yrs. 2021 is the next one. As far as i have heard

7 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

It might be the toughest class in the state (pound for pound). In 3A the schools aren't so big to where you only get 1 year or so to start. Most 3A schools I know of also have only 1 junior high so you build continuity from a young age. When you couple starting experience with team continuity it can be dangerous. Also in 3A you don't have the depth problem like you can see in a lot of  1-2A schools

Great points

11 hours ago, TornadoLeadRecruiter said:

AE would not have been blown out by Greenville late in the yr. they get better every yr late in the season. Half the kids at AE play other sports in summer Or don’t show up till school starts and they always start off slow and get much much much better as the Yr goes on. We rolled them 2nd game and then in playoffs had to deal with them for 3 qts till we pulled away

You are acting like all teams don't get better as the year goes along.  Greeneville had a running Clock on AE going into the 4th Quarter the 5th game of the year so it wasn't like AE didn't have games under their belt.  Do i think we would have blown AE out in the play-offs No, but we matched up will with AE. We also had the 4a state Champs down 13-0 in the first quarter at Betsy in the Quarters until our best lineman messed up his knee and played the rest of the game on a torn ligament and our starting RB didn't even play after being injured the week before who was avg. 9.7 yards a carry.  It's football so it's all a matter of opinion unless these teams meet on the field.  I still stick by my comment that Alcoa would have a tougher road in 4a out of the East against Betsy, Greeneville, and AC in the 2nd round, Quarters, and Semi's (Who ever is coming out of middle Tn) than GP, AE, and Loudon.  Betsy was the last team that even gave Alcoa a game in the 3a playoffs losing 17-14 in the Quarter Finals at Alcoa in 2016 just for them to Roll their next 2 opponents

8 hours ago, Swipes said:

You are acting like all teams don't get better as the year goes along.  Greeneville had a running Clock on AE going into the 4th Quarter the 5th game of the year so it wasn't like AE didn't have games under their belt.  Do i think we would have blown AE out in the play-offs No, but we matched up will with AE. We also had the 4a state Champs down 13-0 in the first quarter at Betsy in the Quarters until our best lineman messed up his knee and played the rest of the game on a torn ligament and our starting RB didn't even play after being injured the week before who was avg. 9.7 yards a carry.  It's football so it's all a matter of opinion unless these teams meet on the field.  I still stick by my comment that Alcoa would have a tougher road in 4a out of the East against Betsy, Greeneville, and AC in the 2nd round, Quarters, and Semi's (Who ever is coming out of middle Tn) than GP, AE, and Loudon.  Betsy was the last team that even gave Alcoa a game in the 3a playoffs losing 17-14 in the Quarter Finals at Alcoa in 2016 just for them to Roll their next 2 opponents

Never said that. But AE is a little different from Alcoa, Betsy, and Greenville. If you don’t understand why you just want i guess. 
Overall 3a top 10 is better than 4a. Sorry my opinion. Stop with AC. We would blast them the past 3 yrs. Betsy and the Devils ok ok

12 minutes ago, TornadoLeadRecruiter said:

Never said that. But AE is a little different from Alcoa, Betsy, and Greenville. If you don’t understand why you just want i guess. 
Overall 3a top 10 is better than 4a. Sorry my opinion. Stop with AC. We would blast them the past 3 yrs. Betsy and the Devils ok ok

Stay in 3A and dominate. I say AC would beat Alcoa the last 3 years (my opinion) I do know the last 3 years that AC has played 7 on 7 AC dominated them. I know it’s not real football but AC has gotten the best of Alcoa on 7on 7. In a real game we will never know because they like playing in 3A. Hopefully they’ll change it to just five classes next year

Just now, MavMan05 said:

Stay in 3A and dominate. I say AC would beat Alcoa the last 3 years (my opinion) I do know the last 3 years that AC has played 7 on 7 AC dominated them. I know it’s not real football but AC has gotten the best of Alcoa on 7on 7. In a real game we will never know because they like playing in 3A. Hopefully they’ll change it to just five classes next year

7v7

lol 

1 minute ago, MavMan05 said:

Like playing 3a. With 3 6a teams on schedule last yr that went to qt finals of playoffs. 
oh and a little 2a chatt tyner team that got to the qters to