SouthTowner: This That and the Other

Southtowner

The $400 million was a payment for military equipment made by the government of the Shah of Iran, prior to the 1979 uprising that topped him. The U.S. banned delivery of the jets and other weapons amid the hostage crisis, but froze the $400 million advance payment.

The final cost to American taxpayers was $1.7 billion.  The original $400 million plus $1.3 billion in interest.

Iran wanted $10 billion.   U.S. negotiators convinced Iran to move the dispute from arbitration to a private settlement.

A lot of folks act as if this was some sort of rogue payment.  

As Paul Harvey would say:  Now you know the rest of the story. 

Edited by Southtowner

1 minute ago, Southtowner said:

As for the $400 million to Iran:

The $400 million was a payment for military equipment made by the government of the Shah of Iran, prior to the 1979 uprising that topped him. The U.S. banned delivery of the jets and other weapons amid the hostage crisis, but froze the $400 million advance payment.

The final cost to American taxpayers was $1.7 billion.  The original $400 million plus $1.3 billion in interest. 

Iran was wanting $10 billion.   U.S. negotiators convinced Iran to move the dispute from arbitration to a private settlement.

A lot of folks act as if this was some sort of rogue payment.  

As Paul Harvey would say:  Now you know the rest of the story. 

I knew the whole story actually, however If i had owed a country like Germany money when Hitler was in power I'd probably have put it off a few more years. Try to give payment in humanitarian aid or something besides something that could be used to fund terror. Or hope for a regime change that wouldn't use it for bad things. That's just me though. Odd he did it on the way out and in secret. You'd think he didnt want anyone to confront him for it. Ir know about it until it was too late etc.:roll:

• Like 3

Just now, Imthayeti said:

I knew the whole story actually, however If i had owed a country like Germany money when Hitler was in power I'd probably have put it off a few more years. Try to give payment in humanitarian aid or something besides something that could be used to fund terror. Or hope for a regime change that wouldn't use it for bad things. That's just me though. Odd he did it on the way out and in secret. You'd think he didnt want anyone to confront him for it. Ir know about it until it was too late etc.:roll:

Actually,  $12 billion was originally froze including the $400 million.  In 1981 the hostage crisis was resolved.  The U.S. returned $3 billion to Iran and more of the funds went to pay creditors 

It just took 3 decades for whatever reasons to settle the $400 million the Shah gave the US for military hardware.

Actually,  $12 billion was originally froze including the $400 million.  In 1981 the hostage crisis was resolved.  The U.S. returned $3 billion to Iran and more of the funds went to pay creditors 

It just took 3 decades for whatever reasons to settle the $400 million the Shah gave the US for military hardware.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/08/19/why-the-new-iran-revelation-looks-bad-for-the-obama-administration/

Easy to find all the info is there man. Was shady no matter how you look at it how it went down.

1 minute ago, Imthayeti said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/08/19/why-the-new-iran-revelation-looks-bad-for-the-obama-administration/

Easy to find all the info is there man. Was shady no matter how you look at it how it went down.

I guess it would have been alright for Trump to settle the debt.  Afterall,  he does have a way about him.  What's the saying?  The Art of the Deal. 

I guess it would have been alright for Trump to settle the debt.  Afterall,  he does have a way about him.  What's the saying?  The Art of the Deal. 

When in doubt, attack Trump:roflol:

Seeing a common pattern from the liberals lately.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Imthayeti said:

When in doubt, attack Trump:roflol:

Seeing a common pattern from the liberals lately.

You're the one that said the payment should have been put off a bit longer.  "A few more years"  to be precise.  

I know exactly how this story would have been spun if Trump had been involved.  

Instead of the $10 billion Iran wanted and the $1.7 billion that was actually paid,  The Trump narrative would be he saved the American taxpayers $8.3 billion.  

1 hour ago, Imthayeti said:

Soft, and full of hate. Only thing you hear from them is how bad Trump is, or what hes done wrong, or how bad he is in some shape form of fashion... How about the real Christian's pray for him as he is the leader of your Country.

Romans 13:1 ASV

Let every soul be in subjection to the higher powers: for there is no power but of God; and the powers that be are ordained of God.

Agreed! God has really opened the eyes for many this year of 2020 and telling us it’s time we need to confess to him as our Lord and Savior. I remember when ol glory would give people chills standing up and saluting the flag, but now people makes comments that the national anthem is “worthless”. When the flag starts being worthless in some eyes then there is a problem 

2 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

You're the one that said the payment should have been put off a bit longer.  "A few more years"  to be precise.  

I know exactly how this story would have been spun if Trump had been involved.  

Instead of the $10 billion Iran wanted and the $1.7 billion that was actually paid,  The Trump narrative would be he saved the American taxpayers $8.3 billion.  

Trump didnt do it though did he.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Goldenpride said:

Agreed! God has really opened the eyes for many this year of 2020 and telling us it’s time we need to confess to him as our Lord and Savior. I remember when ol glory would give people chills standing up and saluting the flag, but now people makes comments that the national anthem is “worthless”. When the flag starts being worthless in some eyes then there is a problem 

Cant help what others say and do. But I'm thankful to everyone who served that I might have the freedoms that I get to enjoy. My father in law does the color guard for Meigs games and it's always an honor for me to see him out there. He loves his country and is proud to be out there. I'm just proud to be put into this mans life. That's the kind of man he is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goldenpride said:

When ou serve Flags You are in trouble. Most all Countries jump to attention over flag. I look a tad higher. Our Country has done some of the worst war crimes than nearly any other Country. We are not high and Mighty like some tend to think. Thing looks like a Golden Calf to me.

1 hour ago, Imthayeti said:

Cant help what others say and do. But I'm thankful to everyone who served that I might have the freedoms that I get to enjoy. My father in law does the color guard for Meigs games and it's always an honor for me to see him out there. He loves his country and is proud to be out there. I'm just proud to be put into this mans life. That's the kind of man he is.

Ever read the 10 commandments. Pretty good rules in there.