Who will be new coach at Shelbyville??

District12AA

11 hours ago, sportsguy22 said:

Doubtful as a head coach...too much baggage!! Trust me, they will dig into all the issues...many of them! A job as an assistant...yes.

There have been guys hired as a HC with far more baggage. If you can win at Shelbyville, your a heckuva coach. He'll be leading a program again soon

Edited by MidTennFootball

21 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

There have been guys hired as a HC with far more baggage. If you can win at Shelbyville, your a heckuva coach. He'll be leading a program again soon

We shall see. If administrators want someone like him leading their program, so be it. As for his success at Shelbyville, he was extremely blessed with likely the best class ever to come through the school, a generational-type class with very special players all over the place! That's the absolute truth. A very special group of young men and football players.

5 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

We shall see. If administrators want someone like him leading their program, so be it. As for his success at Shelbyville, he was extremely blessed with likely the best class ever to come through the school, a generational-type class with very special players all over the place! That's the absolute truth. A very special group of young men and football players.

Coaches are human like the rest of us, nobody leaves this world a saint. The fact they had a special group and still only made the quarters should tell you how difficult it is to win there. Doesn't matter how good of a coach you are, you still need talent to win

2 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Coaches are human like the rest of us, nobody leaves this world a saint. The fact they had a special group and still only made the quarters should tell you how difficult it is to win there. Doesn't matter how good of a coach you are, you still need talent to win

They had the talent to make it to Cookeville this last season. The Summit game was a disaster after the first quarter...the offense collapsed and the starting running back never touched the ball in the second half in a very close game. You need talent to win and good coaching.

Just now, sportsguy22 said:

They had the talent to make it to Cookeville this last season. The Summit game was a disaster after the first quarter...the offense collapsed and the starting running back never touched the ball in the second half in a very close game. You need talent to win and good coaching.

No argument that they were talented enough. Can't speak to the game but I think it's safe to say coaching wasn't a problem at Shelbyville

6 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

No argument that they were talented enough. Can't speak to the game but I think it's safe to say coaching wasn't a problem at Shelbyville

It was obviously not bad. You could clearly see, however, that the talent in recent years was overly impressive, but when the competition ramped up, they came down-to-earth and struggled much more. Became very pass-happy at times, which was his M.O. when they had the talent to run it a good bit more, especially when they really needed to. It's a coaching philosophy more than anything, but it certainly cost them some.

A lot of turnover in this region.  Why do you 2 think it is so hard to win there?   Surely there is more to this story.  Crazy the madness I. This region the last year!!  Coaches supposedly putting hands on players, DUI's, FC coach fired due to parents, White Co playing JV only, and now this.   This Region is like one heckuva Soap Opera!!

5 minutes ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

A lot of turnover in this region.  Why do you 2 think it is so hard to win there?   Surely there is more to this story.  Crazy the madness I. This region the last year!!  Coaches supposedly putting hands on players, DUI's, FC coach fired due to parents, White Co playing JV only, and now this.   This Region is like one heckuva Soap Opera!!

Agree...it is one big soap opera! Well said. Personally, I don’t necessarily think it’s hard to win there. The athletes are there and the program has done well the last decade. The region is usually very competitive and they seem to be in a good spot. If they stay 5A that is...if they bump to 6A, it could get very tough!

18 minutes ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

Maybe I used a bad choice of words, but there are obstacles at Shelbyville that you won't have at other big 5A programs that they would face in the playoffs. It's harder for them to sustain the kind of long term success that other teams in middle tn enjoy

11 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Maybe I used a bad choice of words, but there are obstacles at Shelbyville that you won't have at other big 5A programs that they would face in the playoffs. It's harder for them to sustain the kind of long term success that other teams in middle tn enjoy

I’d say with a solid booster club and a new field house, many of the obstacles have been overcome. They just fight against the pay differential from the county compared to counties like Rutherford and Williamson, but many counties fight that battle. The talent level is pretty consistent it seems even down to the grade school level.