2020 Class A Sectionals Discussion

TribalEmpire

13 hours ago, MrMiyagi said:

kwc

I know they have some good players - DAWGS - as you describe them, but you skirted around what I said. 
Those Memphis Mitchell teams would put a beat down on MAHS and handle BTW with ease.

I don't agree with the handle part. BTW is legit. They aren't MM from back in the day, but your favorite team/fan base can underestimate them at your/their own peril.

1 minute ago, kwc said:

I don't agree with the handle part. BTW is legit. They aren't MM from back in the day, but your favorite team/fan base can underestimate them at your/their own peril.

Don’t misunderstand, I have seen them play. They could very well win this thing. I just don’t think they could play with the old MM teams. Neither could the other teams in my opinion.

Small but quick guards that are streaky shooters. See & run the floor really well and not too selfish except for 1 guy. 
One post that is slightly above average for 1A but can only score at the rim and not a good free throw shooter. Since he can’t step out and knock down the outside shot, it clogs up the lane for their smaller guards. I think a few of the coaches will apply the hack-a-shak method on the big guy if they keep it close til the end.

5 minutes ago, MrMiyagi said:

Don’t misunderstand, I have seen them play. They could very well win this thing. I just don’t think they could play with the old MM teams. Neither could the other teams in my opinion.

Small but quick guards that are streaky shooters. See & run the floor really well and not too selfish except for 1 guy. 
One post that is slightly above average for 1A but can only score at the rim and not a good free throw shooter. Since he can’t step out and knock down the outside shot, it clogs up the lane for their smaller guards. I think a few of the coaches will apply the hack-a-shak method on the big guy if they keep it close til the end.

That's one line of thought. 

1 hour ago, MrMiyagi said:

If they match up against Clay County it should be a great game. Clay has size and speed ( not Memphis speed) but the point guard is quick and strong and the other guard (sophomore) will be a Mr Basketball finalist 6’3 and finishes above the rim. Now  mind you they don’t have another Tyreke Key (Mr Basketball and all time tournament scoring leader in TSSAA history) but they have a very solid team. 

Edited by UCSportsFan

8 great games last night Monday March 9, 2020! Congratulations to Hampton, Oneida, East Robertson, Loretto, Booker T. Washington, Memphis Academy of Health Sciences, D6A Clay County, and last but not least Monterey Tennessee's very own MHS Wildcats!

Looking forward to the tournament as well as broadcasting our Wildcat games!

5 hours ago, MrMiyagi said:

What’s your thoughts?

My scouting report way off and you think they will run away with it? 

I didn't mean anything cryptic or anything like that. BTW is a well oiled machine. They are a small ball squad with every guard being able to score. They play really good man-to-man defense and they have a pretty deep bench to spell their main guys. They will turn teams over and score easy baskets. They've played some stiff out-of-conference competition to prepare them for the post season. 

Yeah, they can be beat, but it is going to take a really talented and well coached team that plays 40 minutes with a low percentage of TOs to beat them. They are built for this. The game of basketball is a game of runs. They excell at creating runs for themselves. Speed kills, and they have serial killer speed.

Hack-a-shack on the guy in the post huh?

Like I said ... That's one line of thought.

Edited by kwc

Watched them play more than once.

Hard to turnover at least 2 of these teams. 2 of them can make one pass-length of the floor-type passes to take the top right off that pressure if they hang around the rebounder like they tend to do on missed shots.

The big guy runs the floor so it’s not just the guards that get easy buckets, they will get some easy buckets. The problem I seen was they cheat a ton on defense and get out of position free lancing, along with the big guys free throw shooting. 

Those 2 teams I mentioned are going to be tough to beat like BTW will be. But 8 wide open treys beats 8 uncontested layups. Pair that with hack-a-shak and it could be lop sided if they don’t get enough easy buckets.

With that said, I do think BTW is top 3 but no significant margin between the top 3.

2 minutes ago, MrMiyagi said:

Watched them play more than once.

Hard to turnover at least 2 of these teams. 2 of them can make one pass-length of the floor-type passes to take the top right off that pressure if they hang around the rebounder like they tend to do on missed shots.

The big guy runs the floor so it’s not just the guards that get easy buckets, they will get some easy buckets. The problem I seen was they cheat a ton on defense and get out of position free lancing, along with the big guys free throw shooting. 

Those 2 teams I mentioned are going to be tough to beat like BTW will be. But 8 wide open treys beats 8 uncontested layups. Pair that with hack-a-shak and it could be lop sided if they don’t get enough easy buckets.

With that said, I do think BTW is top 3 but no significant margin between the top 3.

Since BTW is aggressive, they tend to put the other team's wing defenders in foul trouble. When one tends to get beat off of the dribble, even when playing zone, one tends to reach and getr called for foulls, espescially as a teenager. However, there are 8 teams with good records in this tournament. There are no slouches. It's time to put up or shut up, as the old folks use to say.