THURSDAY NIGHT RIVALRY GAME: POWELL GOES TO ANDERSON COUNTY

keepitmoving

16 minutes ago, Mavericksinflight said:

Yeah this will really be exciting and fun game. I think if our Defense rush can get the QB then it's all over this year for Powell Thursday night. That what I think that should break the camel's back. The QB/ rec is the strongest area for Powell this year IMO.

That will be another interesting thing to watch in this game. As good as Beech has been in recent years, I was surprised that they couldn't generate any pass rush against Powell. It may have happened on a rollout or two, but I only remember Potts getting sacked (or hit) once or twice.

Edited by osunut2

13 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

That will be another interesting thing to watch in this game. As good as Beech has been in recent years, I was surprised that they couldn't generate any pass rush against Powell. It may have happened on a rollout or two, but I only remember Potts getting sacked (or hit) once or twice.

True Beech just could not get the QB and he (QB) is good enough to destroy the DB if given time....

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 11:53 AM, Mavericksinflight said:

Can't wait should be a good game. AC needs to work this week on there ground and pound. I think they can do more of this. This will be good test for AC run game. Powell is more versatile this year so AC defense will really have to be ready especially the DBs. The big deal is the AC defense must and I mean must get a strong rush on Powell QB. This is a necessity for the Mavs to pull this off.

I agree, but AC weapon will be #14 on the out side. He will have a good game. Big games like this is when they will need to get him the ball. I hear Powell is not as good as last years team at this point In the season. 

1 hour ago, Payton34 said:

I agree, but AC weapon will be #14 on the out side. He will have a good game. Big games like this is when they will need to get him the ball. I hear Powell is not as good as last years team at this point In the season. 

#14 Bryson is almost D1 ready and is really good but I look for him or Cam to return a kick or punt to the endzone.

3 hours ago, Mavericksinflight said:

#14 Bryson is almost D1 ready and is really good but I look for him or Cam to return a kick or punt to the endzone.

I wouldn’t go that far yet. Let’s see how he does against Powell. It will be hard to return one this game Powell has a lot more team speed than AC. But AC should get a lot more chances this game. I’m hoping for a good game. This game will show where we are.  Can’t go off the Clinton game they was awful. That had to be one of the worst Clinton teams I seen. Love games like this. This is when good football players should shine.

Edited by Payton34
  • Like 1

We've still got a couple of days, but I'll make my prediction.

This is a very talented AC squad, and they haven't forgotten last year's result. I learned very little about AC after their game with Clinton, but they took care of business as expected; no offense to the Dragons, but they just aren't very good right now. In a way, that game almost felt like a scrimmage.

Powell scrambled to find an opponent for last week, and they were lucky to beat Beech. That said, they certainly didn't play their best game. It'll be interesting to see how much Powell and AC improve after their openers because at this level, there is almost always marked improvement immediately following that first game.

This feels like it's going to be a nail-biter, and if so, this is an interesting stat - If you look at final margin, AC has only played in 1 one-score game since 2017 (35-31 playoff loss to Greeneville). On the flip side, Powell has played in 5 one-score games since the beginning of last season, and they won all 5 (Beech, Greeneville, West, OR, SD). AC just hasn't played in many close games, so I wonder how accustomed they are to being in those moments.

That said, I think AC wins a thriller, 31-28.

20 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

We've still got a couple of days, but I'll make my prediction.

This is a very talented AC squad, and they haven't forgotten last year's result. I learned very little about AC after their game with Clinton, but they took care of business as expected; no offense to the Dragons, but they just aren't very good right now. In a way, that game almost felt like a scrimmage.

Powell scrambled to find an opponent for last week, and they were lucky to beat Beech. That said, they certainly didn't play their best game. It'll be interesting to see how much Powell and AC improve after their openers because at this level, there is almost always marked improvement immediately following that first game.

This feels like it's going to be a nail-biter, and if so, this is an interesting stat - If you look at final margin, AC has only played in 1 one-score game since 2017 (35-31 playoff loss to Greeneville). On the flip side, Powell has played in 5 one-score games since the beginning of last season, and they won all 5 (Beech, Greeneville, West, OR, SD). AC just hasn't played in many close games, so I wonder how accustomed they are to being in those moments.

That said, I think AC wins a thriller, 31-28.

I think the game 100% hinges on if AC can develop some kind of run game, and If they can get pressure on Potts. Also you have to look at the fact AC rotates 14-16 players both ways with a couple of additional players that play one way. I know the Center is one way and one of the DL is one way from what I saw against Clinton. I think Powell has a depth advantage. 

Edited by haweanbula

3 hours ago, haweanbula said:

I think the game 100% hinges on if AC can develop some kind of run game, and If they can get pressure on Potts. Also you have to look at the fact AC rotates 14-16 players both ways with a couple of additional players that play one way. I know the Center is one way and one of the DL is one way from what I saw against Clinton. I think Powell has a depth advantage. 

The whole offensive line but the center plays both ways. I think that will help Powell’s DL late in the game. I just hope we can get are guys rest early.  

3 hours ago, osunut2 said:

I'd agree with that assessment.

kicking game: AC

Edited by Payton34