Classification

BooWhoWiseMan

1 minute ago, osunut2 said:

If what Gut says is true, this could be a challenging task, particularly in districts that have multiple high schools. Knox County didn't do it the way he described, but if there are counties that lumped every virtual student into the same pot, this won't be a simple bean counting exercise.

A) I don’t know how many districts we are dealing with...I don’t think it’s many. B ) At some point, like any other year, we have to trust the principals, administrations, and staff. It would be a major coverup for all of them to lie and, if they decided to, they should be hammered with long term penalties.

11 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

A) I don’t know how many districts we are dealing with...I don’t think it’s many. B ) At some point, like any other year, we have to trust the principals, administrations, and staff. It would be a major coverup for all of them to lie and, if they decided to, they should be hammered with long term penalties.

I have no idea how many districts are doing it differently; could be a few, could be many. In Knox County, this isn't going to be an issue. Each school can easily get a head count of their students, both virtual and in-person learners, but I'm sure there are districts that are providing virtual learning differently.

Even in Knox County, the individual schools aren't providing 100% of the content; it is being supplemented by a 3rd party, and they are even sharing content providers between schools. So I have to believe that there are school districts out there who are resource sharing in order to provide content to the students who have opted out. That may mean lumping all of the students together by grade, regardless of where they are zoned, due to resource limitations. But again, I don't know how every district state-wide is doing it.

Edited by osunut2

8 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I have no idea how many districts are doing it differently; could be a few, could be many. In Knox County, this isn't going to be an issue. Each school can easily get a head count of their students, both virtual and in-person learners, but I'm sure there are districts that are providing virtual learning differently.

Even in Knox County, the individual schools aren't providing 100% of the content; it is being supplemented by a 3rd party, and they are even sharing content providers between schools. So I have to believe that there are school districts out there who are resource sharing in order to provide content to the students who have opted out. That may mean lumping all of the students together by grade, regardless of where they are zoned, due to resource limitations. But again, I don't know how every district state-wide is doing it.

I would think the TSSAA Board of Control will figure it out in a fair way. There is too much at stake to not do so when reclassifying for a 4-year cycle. And I’m not one to defend them at all in many instances! In this case, I would think they’ll be on top of everything fully.

2 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

I would think the TSSAA Board of Control will figure it out in a fair way. There is too much at stake to not do so when reclassifying for a 4-year cycle. And I’m not one to defend them at all in many instances! In this case, I would think they’ll be on top of everything fully.

I certainly hope so. Although, I think they may table reclassification for another year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, guthook said:

District's aren't always honest.  It wouldn't be hard.  But it also wouldn't be hard to be deceptive.

Those same districts are not going to be honest in any classification year.  But every school gets federal funding based off numbers.  No way they sacrifice funding by fudging their enrollment numbers.  

20 hours ago, KennyPowers55 said:

When do you think they will post the new enrollment figures? 

Numbers will be posted on Monday 10/12 and the Regions for 2021 and 2022 will be announced on Thursday 11/12,  Teams will have a period of time to choose whether to play up in classification or to remain where their "number" puts them.  I am eager to see how much the COVID pandemic has effected numbers across the board.  

6 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Given the growth this state has been going through for some time, I'd like to see it made permanent

I think east TN could get away with a 4-year cycle, but with all of the growth you guys have seen in the mid-state, a 2-year cycle is probably a good idea.

8 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

Numbers will be posted on Monday 10/12 and the Regions for 2021 and 2022 will be announced on Thursday 11/12,  Teams will have a period of time to choose whether to play up in classification or to remain where their "number" puts them.  I am eager to see how much the COVID pandemic has effected numbers across the board.  

How would Covid affect the numbers?  Virtual students should be counted as enrollment. 

• Like 1