Betsy vs Greeneville

BetsyCyclones16

7 minutes ago, BVDevil said:

i do need to and have appologized for saying the things i said in my friday LIVE stream when Trenton was watching.....in my stream tonight at 8 im going to revisit that appology and make it again. Lawnman, i hope im still welcome at CB stadium if we make the 3rd round.

You are welcome and you will always be welcome to CB stadium.

2 hours ago, BVDevil said:

i do need to and have appologized for saying the things i said in my friday LIVE stream when Trenton was watching.....in my stream tonight at 8 im going to revisit that appology and make it again. Lawnman, i hope im still welcome at CB stadium if we make the 3rd round.

Always welcome to the bank bud.  I’ve never had an issue with anything you’ve said.  Just didn’t care for the above mentioned stuff and you owned up to it like a man and I respect that!  I’ll be the first to tell you-  Betsy is what it is today because of the standard Greeneville set this past decade or longer!  

As an outsider looking in.... I have only seen Greeneville play once this year, so bear that in mind.   Also we all know that it is very difficult for a team to keep winning state titles* year after year after year.   Greeneville had a great run for a while and has accomplished more in the last few years than my Boone Blazers will ever do in a lifetime of football.   So all that being said, Greeneville has not at the top of 4A for a couple of years, and I have seen a lot of speculation as to why.     One thing I have not seen mentioned, so I ask the GREENE fans, is it within the remotest sliver of possibility that the problem is coaching now that Ballard is gone?

(* disclaimer - Maryville and Alcoa exempt from the above remark)

54 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

As an outsider looking in.... I have only seen Greeneville play once this year, so bear that in mind.   Also we all know that it is very difficult for a team to keep winning state titles* year after year after year.   Greeneville had a great run for a while and has accomplished more in the last few years than my Boone Blazers will ever do in a lifetime of football.   So all that being said, Greeneville has not at the top of 4A for a couple of years, and I have seen a lot of speculation as to why.     One thing I have not seen mentioned, so I ask the GREENE fans, is it within the remotest sliver of possibility that the problem is coaching now that Ballard is gone?

(* disclaimer - Maryville and Alcoa exempt from the above remark)

Thats my guess. They are young but have talent. A number of greeneville faithful said the next coach would pick up where he left off and keep the same mentality and culture butbi have to wonder if Ballard is not as easily replaced as originally thought. EHS treaded water until Witten took over and Greeneville wasnt the dominating force it was until Ballard took over

Edited by EHSTrack06
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, EHSTrack06 said:

Thats my guess. They are young but have talent. A number of greeneville faithful said the next coach would pick up where he left off and keep the same mentality and culture butbi have to wonder if Ballard is not as easily replaced as originally thought. EHS treaded water until Witten took over and Greeneville wasnt the dominating force it was until Ballard took over

let's also not forget that coach Mccurry deserves a ton of credit for the "culture" change at greeneville. Ballard continued what McCurry brought. Ballard also coached under quarles at murvull...Spradlen will be just fine here if people will stay off his ars and let him work. ballard lost i beleive 4 games his first year with alot older and more talented team. There's a pretty big learning curve for any first time head coach dont ya think? Eddie will do a great job here, no doubt in my mind

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BVDevil said:

let's also not forget that coach Mccurry deserves a ton of credit for the "culture" change at greeneville. Ballard continued what McCurry brought. Ballard also coached under quarles at murvull...Spradlen will be just fine here if people will stay off his ars and let him work. ballard lost i beleive 4 games his first year with alot older and more talented team. There's a pretty big learning curve for any first time head coach dont ya think? Eddie will do a great job here, no doubt in my mind

Also, I seem to recall that Ballard took over when GHS changed classifications.  For many years, GHS always played in the largest state classifications.  I seem to recall that GHS was dropping to the correct classification when McCurry left.  Someone can confirm this.  I think that Ballard was a very good coach, but it is impossible to compare him to the other coaches at GHS that "played up".

1 hour ago, B-Ball Fan said:

Also, I seem to recall that Ballard took over when GHS changed classifications.  For many years, GHS always played in the largest state classifications.  I seem to recall that GHS was dropping to the correct classification when McCurry left.  Someone can confirm this.  I think that Ballard was a very good coach, but it is impossible to compare him to the other coaches at GHS that "played up".

Ballard did take over when the state went to 6 classifications in 2009 and Greeneville decided to play where the TSSAA put them instead of playing.  When McCurry came here in 2007 Greeneville was coming off a 4-6 record and a loss to David Crockett.  McCurry made the administration redo the weight room, implement a weight lifting period, started Devil Camp, Work outs became a way of life and not an option anymore.  The Greene Devils in 2007 went 10-3 getting put out in the Quarter's by Sullivan South and Curt Phillips a team they had beaten in the Regular Season.  Coaches that are still on Greeneville's Staff since that 2007 season are OLine Coach Bentley, Head Coach Spradlen, and OC Baugh.  Ballard had been the OC for Greeneville for a long time before Him and Zeller got into it about Offensive Philosophy.  As a former Greene Devils player (05-07) knew Ballard would be back as OC my Senior Year (07) since he had Promised us my Junior year he would come back and Coach Us.  Do I believe there were some Greeneville teams that could have won a State title if playing in the correct classification over the years? Yes I do instead of having to go through Maryville to to do.  Since McCurry was hired the weight room has been the huge difference compared to the past.  Greeneville has always had athletes but bigger, faster, stronger is always better and that's what Greeneville has done

Edited by Swipes

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

Ballard did take over when the state went to 6 classifications in 2009 and Greeneville decided to play where the TSSAA put them instead of playing.  When McCurry came here in 2007 Greeneville was coming off a 4-6 record and a loss to David Crockett.  McCurry made the administration redo the weight room, implement a weight lifting period, started Devil Camp, Work outs became a way of life and not an option anymore.  The Greene Devils in 2007 went 10-3 getting put out in the Quarter's by Sullivan South and Curt Phillips a team they had beaten in the Regular Season.  Coaches that are still on Greeneville's Staff since that 2007 season are OLine Coach Bentley, Head Coach Spradlen, and OC Baugh.  Ballard had been the OC for Greeneville for a long time before Him and Zeller got into it about Offensive Philosophy.  As a former Greene Devils player (05-07) knew Ballard would be back as OC my Senior Year (07) since he had Promised us my Junior year he would come back and Coach Us.  Do I believe there were some Greeneville teams that could have won a State title if playing in the correct classification over the years? Yes I do instead of having to go through Maryville to to do.  Since McCurry was hired the weight room has been the huge difference compared to the past.  Greeneville has always had athletes but bigger, faster, stronger is always better and that's what Greeneville has done

That's a great post Swipes.  I've always felt that McCurry would have been extremely successful if he had stayed. Unfortunately, we'll never know.  He gets too little credit for the long run of GHS success.

If you don't mind, what was the difference of opinion regarding offensive philosophy?

Edited by B-Ball Fan
addition

32 minutes ago, B-Ball Fan said:

That's a great post Swipes.  I've always felt that McCurry would have been extremely successful if he had stayed. Unfortunately, we'll never know.  He gets too little credit for the long run of GHS success.

If you don't mind, what was the difference of opinion regarding offensive philosophy?

I can’t speak from personal experience but I’d imagine Ballard wanted to open things up a little bit. If I remember correctly the offense under Zeller wasn’t much.