Kingsport vs Johnson City!!!..Or EASTMAN vs ETSU!!

14 hours ago, timcraw said:

Its insane to me that TURNING YOUR HEAD TO LOOK AT THE BALL is a problem that has taken 3+ years in counting to fix..

Ah, one of the great myths of football fandom surfaces again.  Fans sitting in the stands or watching from home watch a pass arrive that would have been broken up or intercepted if only the DB had turned his head at the right moment.  Frustrating!  But those last four words--at the right moment--are really, really important.  Because if a DB turns his head too early, even half a second or a second too early, it may lead to disaster--huge separation and a TD if the WR changes direction or speeds up while the DB is looking back, pass interference if the WR slows down and the DB (who can no longer see him) runs into him, etc.  And unlike the frustrated fans watching a play develop, a DB chasing a WR can't see the ball being thrown or know when it's going to arrive.  That is why most coaches either coach DBs NOT to turn their head when chasing a WR downfield, or to do so only under very specific circumstances.  I think most emphasize keying on the WR's hands, and then there is a split on whether to try to time reaching for their hands to break up the catch as the ball arrives without looking back, v. looking back once the DB believes the WR's hands are preparing to make a catch and trying to intercept or break up the pass while looking back.  I have no idea what HS coaches around here teach these days, but the notion that if a DB would simply look back for the ball more often it would vastly improve things is false--if anything the opposite is more likely true.  There is a reason you often see the same thing (not looking back) in the NFL every Sunday, and it's not because the coaches are all idiots.

11 minutes ago, Tribal said:

Ah, one of the great myths of football fandom surfaces again.  Fans sitting in the stands or watching from home watch a pass arrive that would have been broken up or intercepted if only the DB had turned his head at the right moment.  Frustrating!  But those last four words--at the right moment--are really, really important.  Because if a DB turns his head too early, even half a second or a second too early, it may lead to disaster--huge separation and a TD if the WR changes direction or speeds up while the DB is looking back, pass interference if the WR slows down and the DB (who can no longer see him) runs into him, etc.  And unlike the frustrated fans watching a play develop, a DB chasing a WR can't see the ball being thrown or know when it's going to arrive.  That is why most coaches either coach DBs NOT to turn their head when chasing a WR downfield, or to do so only under very specific circumstances.  I think most emphasize keying on the WR's hands, and then there is a split on whether to try to time reaching for their hands to break up the catch as the ball arrives without looking back, v. looking back once the DB believes the WR's hands are preparing to make a catch and trying to intercept or break up the pass while looking back.  I have no idea what HS coaches around here teach these days, but the notion that if a DB would simply look back for the ball more often it would vastly improve things is false--if anything the opposite is more likely true.  There is a reason you often see the same thing (not looking back) in the NFL every Sunday, and it's not because the coaches are all idiots.

Well that makes sense. but if thats the case then we have a different problem. Why are we ALWAYS chasing the WR? why are we getting beat off the ball so much?

30 minutes ago, Tribal said:

Also I played Defensive back in high school which wasnt too long ago. You are correct. turning ur head at the wrong time is like turning ur head in a track race. But We have got to stop letting people behind us.

I never played a down of  defensive back in my life but would absolutely love as a linebacker seeing someone catch a pass in front big me over the middle if I dropped back into a knowing pass situation. Before I lost the love of playing the game,I loved hitting people and I bet those players at safety really love bringing the hammer down on a poor wideout.Thats when you start to see those alligator arm catches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tribal said:

2 hours ago, Tribal said:

Great post.  In addition to everything above, the DB coaches are trying to instill help from safety, corner, anyone close that will yell “ball” at the exact moment the DB should lift  arms for the block.  Without a doubt, the toughest position to develop on the field.  Many times the player is moved to that position group in HS and that’s where development begins.  The other star player development is QB and RB and their development begins in pee wee.  Not many 8 yr olds slinging it 40 yards down field, so identifying DBs begins later.  There are some very knowledgeable members on this board and many great posts, but I lose my mind when I read Indians don’t coach this position.  Some of the best coaches in this area are working with this group and they don’t take a play off.  Tremendous improvement in this regard.  Another post correctly stated you gotta have the dudes, too.

2 minutes ago, Gradfan56 said:

Great post.  In addition to everything above, the DB coaches are trying to instill help from safety, corner, anyone close that will yell “ball” at the exact moment the DB should lift  arms for the block.  Without a doubt, the toughest position to develop on the field.  Many times the player is moved to that position group in HS and that’s where development begins.  The other star player development is QB and RB and their development begins in pee wee.  Not many 8 yr olds slinging it 40 yards down field, so identifying DBs begins later.  There are some very knowledgeable members on this board and many great posts, but I lose my mind when I read Indians don’t coach this position.  Some of the best coaches in this area are working with this group and they don’t take a play off.  Tremendous improvement in this regard.  Another post correctly stated you gotta have the dudes, too.

I dont know if you meant me but I didnt mean to imply that its poor coaching. Thats bad wording on my part. If you look at last year and compare it to this year, for sure it is improving. I guess I just get frustrated at the weaknesses on the field for DB because im nervous it is gonna cost us later on. Good post sir

1 hour ago, timcraw said:

I dont know if you meant me but I didnt mean to imply that its poor coaching. Thats bad wording on my part. If you look at last year and compare it to this year, for sure it is improving. I guess I just get frustrated at the weaknesses on the field for DB because im nervous it is gonna cost us later on. Good post sir

No worries, not directed at anyone in particular.  It’s been a running theme for years to be sure.  We all see the same thing, wish they’re weren’t any weaknesses but you have to address it best you can and they are.  FYI, new policy dealing with personal fouls, too.  We’ll see if that helps, lol.

5 hours ago, timcraw said:

Also I played Defensive back in high school which wasnt too long ago. You are correct. turning ur head at the wrong time is like turning ur head in a track race. But We have got to stop letting people behind us.

Totally agree. Not letting them get behind you makes a huge difference.