McNairy Central @ Covington

CHARGERFAN

Covington closes out the regular season this week vs. Mc Nairy Central. Covington is 6-2, having not played their week 10 matchup vs. Sheffield, since Shelby County did not play football this season. McNairy is 2-6 in games actually played, plus a forfeit win over Bolivar. 

The Chargers have lost two straight games - to Milan and to SGC. The loss of Carson Ruffin at QB in the first half of the Milan game changed the whole season for my team. In that Milan game, the backup QB, Tanner Stewart, led us to the tying score to put the game in OT. Then Tanner went down in OT with a season-ending leg injury. Coach Kirby was forced to play the injured Ruffin in OT ( basically on one leg), and Milan won in the 3rd OT.

The next game, at SGC, found us with only a freshman QB on the roster. Coach Kirby chose not to put him on the spot. Instead, the staff scrapped our Wing-t offense, prepared DB Jaylen Fayne to play QB for the first time ever, and installed a whole new offense during our off-week before SGC. Fayne played well. Our normal run-oriented offense threw 14 passes as we lost 22-21 on a last-second score by SGC.  

I don't expect to see Ruffin at QB this week. My sources tell me he's still in a walking boot. If I were a betting guy, I would bet on seeing the same offense we fielded vs. SGC.

That's all I know about Covington. I don't have any info on McNairy other than the W-L record. I'm hoping somebody else can fill me in on them.

7 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Covington closes out the regular season this week vs. Mc Nairy Central. Covington is 6-2, having not played their week 10 matchup vs. Sheffield, since Shelby County did not play football this season. McNairy is 2-6 in games actually played, plus a forfeit win over Bolivar. 

The Chargers have lost two straight games - to Milan and to SGC. The loss of Carson Ruffin at QB in the first half of the Milan game changed the whole season for my team. In that Milan game, the backup QB, Tanner Stewart, led us to the tying score to put the game in OT. Then Tanner went down in OT with a season-ending leg injury. Coach Kirby was forced to play the injured Ruffin in OT ( basically on one leg), and Milan won in the 3rd OT.

The next game, at SGC, found us with only a freshman QB on the roster. Coach Kirby chose not to put him on the spot. Instead, the staff scrapped our Wing-t offense, prepared DB Jaylen Fayne to play QB for the first time ever, and installed a whole new offense during our off-week before SGC. Fayne played well. Our normal run-oriented offense threw 14 passes as we lost 22-21 on a last-second score by SGC.  

I don't expect to see Ruffin at QB this week. My sources tell me he's still in a walking boot. If I were a betting guy, I would bet on seeing the same offense we fielded vs. SGC.

That's all I know about Covington. I don't have any info on McNairy other than the W-L record. I'm hoping somebody else can fill me in on them.

McNairy lost so many of there skill players from last year. There definitely in a rebuilding phase. We didn’t have our starting QB against Lexington hung in for a half with em then got blowed out in second half. Lexington used Mclaine sparingly as well. So Covington should win big. We actually used a linebacker and ran the wildcat against Lexington with little success. Don’t know if QB will be back for Friday or not. But McNairy will play hard

No disrespect to McNairy but, this is not even going to be close. I do not care what offense Covington fields it aint going to be pretty. Covington rolls big. 

I personally, have a ton of respect for the Covington program and, coach Kirby. They always seem to find a way to win. Installing a brand new offense that they have never used before and coming into the hornets nest and nearly beating us says a lot. They have the athletes, community support, and a good coaching staff. You DO NOT want to see Covington show up on your schedule. I do care what time of the year it is or, if they have their starting QB or not. 

I agree totally. Covington will be ready. You remember last year. We beat them in Covington. Our boys were ecstatic. In the playoffs at the Hornets nest. Covington made a few more adjustments than us and there playoff experience came out. 
Hope the shoe is on the other foot this year. 
Wonder how this Milan stuff will effect the region. 

12 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

No disrespect to McNairy but, this is not even going to be close. I do not care what offense Covington fields it aint going to be pretty. Covington rolls big. 

I personally, have a ton of respect for the Covington program and, coach Kirby. They always seem to find a way to win. Installing a brand new offense that they have never used before and coming into the hornets nest and nearly beating us says a lot. They have the athletes, community support, and a good coaching staff. You DO NOT want to see Covington show up on your schedule. I do care what time of the year it is or, if they have their starting QB or not. 

I agree ironically :lol: .. Covington is a great ball team with a great coaching staff. I did not know what to expect with injuries but Covington came out with great adjustments to keep it close.

However, I like our chances in the playoffs this year, our boys are hungry with last year still in their mind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SG4LIFE said:

I agree totally. Covington will be ready. You remember last year. We beat them in Covington. Our boys were ecstatic. In the playoffs at the Hornets nest. Covington made a few more adjustments than us and there playoff experience came out. 
Hope the shoe is on the other foot this year. 
Wonder how this Milan stuff will effect the region. 

Good point about the playoff experience. 

I hope Milan does not have to forfeit games or something crazy If they have to we would get to host Covington in the second round....

Who even knows if any of it is true. It is all just rumors at this point. I am just going to wait for the evidence and let it speak for itself. I highly doubt anything will come from it. Not really interested in jumping into a gossip ring with a bunch of clowns. 

10 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

I hope Milan does not have to forfeit games or something crazy If they have to we would get to host Covington in the second round....

Who even knows if any of it is true. It is all just rumors at this point. I am just going to wait for the evidence and let it speak for itself. I highly doubt anything will come from it. Not really interested in jumping into a gossip ring with a bunch of clowns. 

Cmon in. The water is warm. :)

1 hour ago, ManOfMillions said:

I don't want to get into that discussion either. If there is an issue, then the proper folks will handle it. If there is not an issue, then I don't want to engage in message board speculation. I want to concentrate to Friday's game.