II-AAA playoff picture

LouPickney

20 hours ago, TnTxn said:

BA is strong and is playing with a lot of confidence. Almost every game this year has been close, and they’ve won all of them. Semis v McCallie should be fantastic. 

I think all the close games this year helped in the Pope game as BA never seemed to panic.

14 hours ago, JRB said:

For reals!!  

What do you mean by "let"?  I ask because I genuinely don't know why he left for Oakland.

Would you just let arguably the best running back in Tennessee leave your school and football program mid week of 10th game. I believe I would have done some serious intervention to keep this young man at BA .

5 hours ago, fb247 said:

Would you just let arguably the best running back in Tennessee leave your school and football program mid week of 10th game. I believe I would have done some serious intervention to keep this young man at BA .

Right. So why did he leave BA?

6 minutes ago, JRB said:

Right. So why did he leave BA?

I have no idea. I just don't see the best back in Tennessee leaving for no reason. Especially mid week of what was a playoff game deciding game . I would hate to think that the school and coaches would not try to help that young man stay and try to meet his parents and him with a plan . I do know he would have benefited from the academics and they would benefit from his football skills.

4 minutes ago, fb247 said:

I have no idea. I just don't see the best back in Tennessee leaving for no reason. Especially mid week of what was a playoff game deciding game . I would hate to think that the school and coaches would not try to help that young man stay and try to meet his parents and him with a plan . I do know he would have benefited from the academics and they would benefit from his football skills.

I understand there are reasons for leaving, even with the academic benefit.  Often kids do not like the workload that many private schools demand.  However the timing of the decision to leave last year was puzzling.

4 hours ago, JRB said:

I understand there are reasons for leaving, even with the academic benefit.  Often kids do not like the workload that many private schools demand.  However the timing of the decision to leave last year was puzzling.

He was there in the 7th,8th, 9th and was in 10th when he left.

Great weekend, as expected in D2-AAA, setting up a great slate of games for the weekend.  I listened to the radio broadcast of JP2-BA.  I thought after the MBA-JP2 game earlier that Geisinger was the real deal.  Really good football coach; imaginative play caller.  He didn't disappoint Friday night.  Seemed like he emptied the playbook and when they recovered the onside kick and gave themselves a chance to go up 28-3, that maybe it was their time.  One question for anyone there--the radio announcer (Will Bolling who was excellent) was confused by what the penalty call was on 1st and 10 with 5:00 left after BA failed to convert on 4th down.  I watched the video posted above by Lou Pickney and those announcers don't know what it was either.  I don't see a false start or illegal shift in that video....maybe illegal formation, but I don't see that either?  Anyways, looked like they were going to take a shot to Roberts lined up out wide.  Bright future at JP2.

MBA-Baylor, congrats to both sides for figuring out a way to get the game played.  Baylor showed a lot of guts for not having practiced in 2 weeks.  Marcel Reed took the game over in the second half for MBA.  Career defining performance with his team's season on the line.  MBA finished the game with its 4th string RB, who made some key plays.  Remind your kids--always be ready because you never know when the team may need you.

on the MUS qb situation, against MBA earlier this year the starting MUS QB struggled early and was replaced by a Qb who did not struggle, and looked really good.  Talking to some MUS folks, seems like they've gone back to the original starter.  Interesting what we see this weekend.

4 hours ago, Navy21412 said:

Great weekend, as expected in D2-AAA, setting up a great slate of games for the weekend.  I listened to the radio broadcast of JP2-BA.  I thought after the MBA-JP2 game earlier that Geisinger was the real deal.  Really good football coach; imaginative play caller.  He didn't disappoint Friday night.  Seemed like he emptied the playbook and when they recovered the onside kick and gave themselves a chance to go up 28-3, that maybe it was their time.  One question for anyone there--the radio announcer (Will Bolling who was excellent) was confused by what the penalty call was on 1st and 10 with 5:00 left after BA failed to convert on 4th down.  I watched the video posted above by Lou Pickney and those announcers don't know what it was either.  I don't see a false start or illegal shift in that video....maybe illegal formation, but I don't see that either?  Anyways, looked like they were going to take a shot to Roberts lined up out wide.  Bright future at JP2.

I was at the game. The penalty was a false start on one of the wide-outs, perhaps difficult to see with one camera.  A very untimely penalty (not that any penalty is good) as it changed the play calling and took them out of field goal range.

Coach "Geis" has really matured in all aspects of coaching. 

• Like 1

Should be two really good games tonight.  All four teams are extremely well coached.  Both are repeats of games played very early in the season with MBA and BA each winning by 3 points.  I have no idea who will win, but there will be some great football tonight!

I know almost nothing about MUS this year other than the scores of their games.  I've just historically seen how they always improve tremendously throughout the year.  MBA is always fundamentally sound in every position.  They just don't make mistakes.  This will be a chess match between two great coaching staffs.

McCallie/BA seems to be very evenly matched.  Their game in early September was close and McCallie had a chance to win it in the final minute.  I don't think McCallie will be as successful in slowing down BA's running game like they were in the first matchup.  The BA QB had a lot of success throwing against their zone, so McCallie will likely change that up.

It is really hard to beat a fairly equally matched team twice in a year.  I think a lot of that is mental ("we beat them before, so we're better than them").  But, I'm going against conventional wisdom today and guessing that MBA and BA both win tight games.

• Like 1