II-AAA playoff picture

LouPickney

12 hours ago, oldwiseone said:

Surprised to see McCallie in the final, but E. Rivers makes a huge difference. 

Who knows about MUS? Strengths - Weaknesses?

It is a surprise- not that Mccallie won, but BA got outplayed. 

Don't know much about MUS. They can put up some points- look at their games vs. FR and MBA. Should be another fun one in cookeville . 

This should be a fantastic finale.  MUS will score and perhaps McCallie will turn this into a shootout.  BA would have been an entirely different team with Jordan James.  However, their offensive line play was not very impressive considering the talent they have.  I believe their program is a little on the decline.  It hard to say that considering their record, but it doesn't look like they are playing at the level their potential says it should.  With a stud back though, they run away with the gold ball.

On 11/20/2020 at 10:24 AM, TnTxn said:

Should be two really good games tonight.  All four teams are extremely well coached.  Both are repeats of games played very early in the season with MBA and BA each winning by 3 points.  I have no idea who will win, but there will be some great football tonight!

I know almost nothing about MUS this year other than the scores of their games.  I've just historically seen how they always improve tremendously throughout the year.  MBA is always fundamentally sound in every position.  They just don't make mistakes.  This will be a chess match between two great coaching staffs.

McCallie/BA seems to be very evenly matched.  Their game in early September was close and McCallie had a chance to win it in the final minute.  I don't think McCallie will be as successful in slowing down BA's running game like they were in the first matchup.  The BA QB had a lot of success throwing against their zone, so McCallie will likely change that up.

It is really hard to beat a fairly equally matched team twice in a year.  I think a lot of that is mental ("we beat them before, so we're better than them").  But, I'm going against conventional wisdom today and guessing that MBA and BA both win tight games.

You have a brilliant, well thought-out post here. Might have gone on a sentence too long. 

4 hours ago, plato said:

Thoughts on MUS vs McCallie? 

Strengths/Weaknesses? 

Unfortunately I did not see either play.  JP2 travelled to MUS and McCallie is in the other region.  MUS only scored 7 and 17 against CBHS and JP2 respectively and then went on to average 37 points in their remaining games.  I wonder if players got healthy or "something clicked".

On 11/30/2020 at 12:18 PM, plato said:

Thoughts on MUS vs McCallie? 

Strengths/Weaknesses? 

-MUS has a stout red zone defense, but McCallie has a special RB in #5. And presuming McCallie WR #11 is healthy, he will be a major challenge for MUS' secondary. I don't know if WR #11 can be overthrown.

-Likewise, McCallie's secondary will be tested by an Owls passing attack that seemed to really get clicking as the season progressed. MUS beat MBA 49-42 in the semifinals one week after MUS scored more points against Father Ryan (41) than any other team this season.

Here's a preview from the Memphis Commercial Appeal:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/12/01/blue-cross-bowl-preview-memphis-university-school-vs-mccallie-championship/6463928002/

Edited by LouPickney