Powell @ Walker Valley 1st Round

Rhea Co.

1 minute ago, gulloern74 said:

Never said West or Oak Ridge were low powered offenses. They are both great in their own right, and West should represent the East in Cookeville. However, I really think Walker Valley is poised to cause some issues in the playoffs. Even if they lose a tight one to Powell, it will show that Region 4 is not just a doormat for Region 3 and maybe some on here will respect WV. I am not a Mustang fan by any means, but I can appreciate a solid team when I see one.

Respect because you played a 3 seed close? Really?? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KnoxVil said:

Respect because you played a 3 seed close? Really?? 

Region 3-5A is the toughest region in the class with a legitimate three teams that could win it year in and year out. Powell is not your usual 3 seed. Pick any other region in 5A, and they are at least finishing 2nd if not first.

Edited by gulloern74

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

Offensively, I'd put Anderson County right there with SD. I think Powell knows that they aren't going to shut down an offense like WV. They just aren't good enough on the defensive line to disrupt an explosive offense like that. They've had to resort to outscoring teams, and that can be a dangerous game plan especially when turnovers/penalties come in to play.

WV is a very good team, no question. But outside of East Hamilton, WV hasn't played anyone since that Rhea County debacle.

The same strength of schedule argument is made every year about Clemson. That doesn’t mean a team isn’t for real though. I don’t disagree with your assessment overall.  Walker Valley did shut down a high powered East Hamilton offense that was averaging over 40 points a game. I guess I can see your comparison with Anderson County since they beat East Hamilton by almost same margin.

As a Walker Valley fan and parent of a player, it’s just exciting to be competitive!!! Coach Akins and staff have done amazing work. Walker Valley definitely respects the likes of Powell, West and Oak Ridge!! I firmly believe those are some of the best programs in the State and are programs that Walker Valley is working towards. 

Edited by Rockytopmojo7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rockytopmojo7 said:

The same strength of schedule argument is made every year about Clemson. That doesn’t mean a team isn’t for real though. I don’t disagree with your assessment overall.  Walker Valley did shut down a high powered East Hamilton offense that was averaging over 40 points a game. I guess I can see your comparison with Anderson County since they beat East Hamilton by almost same margin.

As a Walker Valley fan and parent of a player, it’s just exciting to be competitive!!! Coach Akins and staff have done amazing work. Walker Valley definitely respects the likes of Powell, West and Oak Ridge!! I firmly believe those are some of the best programs in the State and are programs that Walker Valley is working towards. 

Walker Valley is a good team and better than a lot of teams in the 5a playoffs.Its a tough draw in rd 1 but yall could win this game.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, STILLNUM1 said:

Walker Valley is a good team and better than a lot of teams in the 5a playoffs.Its a tough draw in rd 1 but yall could win this game.

We will agree to disagree! There are 3 teams in 3-5A. That’s it! We don’t count at all. Rhea beats us like a dang drum! Everybody else in this region wins BIG!!! 

3 hours ago, KnoxVil said:

We will agree to disagree! There are 3 teams in 3-5A. That’s it! We don’t count at all. Rhea beats us like a dang drum! Everybody else in this region wins BIG!!! 

Nothing wrong with disagreeing.And nothing against Rhea but I wish yall could find a way to win so we could be at home if we beat Soddy

• Upvote 1

On 10/31/2020 at 9:54 PM, KnoxVil said:

I think the end of the year woke Powell up. Again, should be a good game the way you describe it. Maybe WV can pull the upset like they did a few years ago in the 1st round against OR.

That was an amazing game, WV defeating #1 seed Oak Ridge with Tee Higgins & crew.