Recruting

aggiefan

Pujo, i just didnt think it was appropriate for you to belittle the young man. You can say you werent, but you wouldnt get on here and post about him if you werent. Im sure you are close to everyone in East Tennessee and the Vols program so you would know. He will be sucessful whereever he goes and im not sure its TN but it will be a good school and he will get a free education so im sure hes not that concerned about it. Also about your posts in this debate, you are seeing it with tunnel vision. This is not just about small rural 1A schools its gonna affect every school in the state of Tennessee. There will be re-classification, new regions, and new problems to face for many schools around the state.

VIC, thanks for your honest reply. I have never seen you say you dont think they recruit but you have said you dont know, which is a honest answer. False accusations have only made this debate worse and have added absolutely nothing but animosity towards people from public schools.

I think the fact of the matter that everyone is hinting at but few actually say is other places where families get money. These are the places i have heard of

1) Other Students Families

2) Churches---Ones that are attached to schools.

3) From the school themselves

Can anyone say that they do or do not do this...well no, noone can deny that it could happen but is it happening. One of main arguments has been that you are accusing deacons and pastors of cheating, which i doubt is happening but they want to win like anyone else. Im afraid that the alleged cheating cannot be proved either way. The only proof the public schools really have to offer is the win/loss record of their teams vs privates. I cant say for a fact that i know why, but i can say that is more than just one reason. Maybe that one player made a difference, maybe they do work harder or smarter, maybe they do have better coaches, but it all comes down to wins and losses and the majority.

The schools will part paths in 2006 and it will be a sad day for Tennessee high school athletics. It will have a negative affect on both sides. Private schools will lose the number of people they compete with. Although im not sure having more opponents is bettter than having quality opponents. For public schools i think it sends a bad message that in some way, recruiting or not, that kids at private schools think they are better than them and just might be.

It is very sad that there cant be some kind of agreement met but everyone is so hard headed and politically correct these days it will never happen. As much as small public schools feel like they are the minority they are not not. Private schools are the minority and are being treated like it.

PS- I heard an interview on NPR the other day that people are introducing legislation that opens the door for school vouchers and school choice. If anyone has information on this i would love to know.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have nothing against anyone. I really hope he does well and I get to watch him on the big screen. Its the system that I have a gripe with,its not fair and everyone can see it. The only reason I single out this case is I have heard on several ocasions that something underhanded has been done. One of the rumors came directly from a assistant coach at UT. I only want fairness and if any of these schools are in violation,I hope they get caught and get penalized to the fullest extent. Another thing,all church goer,s are not christians,.More injustice has been done in the name of christiantity than anyting else in our history.Check the scoreboard.

If there is one issue that I would like to address on this thread it is the assumption made by people hundreds of miles away that (insert student's name here) was recruited or "slid under the rug into such and such school" etc...

There is NO excuse and NO possible good can come from such. I personally know the families and circumstances of three such students (in two different cities, 120 miles apart) and the events that led to the kids ending up at private 1A schools. COMPLETELY above board and athletics were not even in the equation. If there was proof of wrongdoing then that proof needs to go to TSSAA , not on some public forum further smeering the names of KIDS (you know- minors, teenagers, someones precious child you are talking about ) But you know what? It won't happen because it's much easier to sit behind a keyboard (or in the stands) and spread the ficticious poop in order to downgrade another program (maybe so yours won't look quite so bad?) I stand by my earlier statements but it appears that some of my fellow posters are standing IN their statements.