Haywood vs Dyersburg round 2

Kruger77

This game is interesting...does Haywood have any rust from the time off? Can they stop Dyersburg's O? Can Dyersburg stop Haywood's O? Haywood is the more experienced and more athletic team. I think they still have a lot to prove with the short amount of games they've played this year, but I think Dyersburg could win this game. Taking Haywood by 2 scores in a good game!:thumb:

• Like 1

I think this game is going to be better than most might think. Dyersburg was in a rebuild last year and gave Haywood fits in their regular season meeting. Not playing in the regular season might be in Dyersburg's favor, but it is hard to ignore the size and athleticism of Haywood. I believe this game will be a great one, and if I had to pick a winner I say Haywood only because I believe they are capable of getting some stops.  

On 11/8/2020 at 10:24 AM, Trojan said:

Y’all have done a good job of summing up this game. Dyersburg can score but defense is very young. Sophomore heavy. 

I agree with the sum up as well. DYERSBURG can score with the best of them but often times have trouble stopping a nose bleed. I think the game will come down to who can get a couple key stops. The one thing I disagree with about DYERSBURG is not playing their best athletes on defense and special teams. I’m all for getting the younger players some reps to help develop the future but Dburg not deep enough to platoon as much as they do. The D could be greatly improved if they played more athletes in D. 

On 11/8/2020 at 2:01 PM, reddyrebel6 said:

I lean more towards it not being very close

We shall see. Haywood is absolutely capable of blowing anyone out. I think all the down time will hurt the Tomcats against an explosive offense like Dyersburg's.  I'm also factoring in Dyersburg will not back down or be intimidated as some teams do and are against Haywood.

Good luck to both teams. Hope it's injury free and as exciting as I expect!

The game is in Brownsville, but Haywood is 0-2 at home this year. Dyersburg is 3-2 on the road.  Haywood (7-3) is actually 3-3 on the field.  Dyersburg (7-4) is actually  6-2 on the field.

In on the field competition, Haywood is 1-3 against teams playing in Round 2.  Dyersburg is 3-2 against teams playing in Round 2.

Haywood has only played 1 game over the past 5 weeks defeating South Side 57-13 on Oct. 22. Dyersburg has played 5 games over the past 5 weeks winning 4 and losing 1.  

Haywood is averaging 35 points per game while giving up 18.7.  Dyersburg is averaging 45.5 points per game while giving up 19.9.

I think the power ratings have been way off base this year, but Haywood is ranked 38th in the power ratings with a PR of 134.88 and a SOS of 119.14.  Dyersburg is ranked 44th in the power ratings with a PR of 132.58 and a SOS of 107.62.

The Massey Ratings have been revised since a previous post of mine, but once again for what it's worth, the Massey Ratings now give Haywood a 71% chance of winning by a most likely score of 41-28.

The Tomcats and Trojans have 2 opponents in common.  Haywood defeated Liberty 52-0 and Ripley 35-0.  Dyersburg defeated Liberty 43-6 while  the Trojans lost to Ripley 51-44.

I don't have any stats concerning turnovers and penalties, but as is the case in any game, they will play a huge factor.  

I know that I said in a previous post that you can throw out the stats when these two play, but the stats do tell an interesting story.  I will have to say that I was surprised to see how close the two teams were in average points allowed. I think game experience and discipline favor Dyersburg, but IF Haywood can hold down the senseless penalties and play as well as they did against Ripley and South Side, the Cats should win.  I do expect a close high scoring game.

Last year's results:  Haywood defeated Dyersburg 28-21 in Brownsville.  (Haywood and Dyersburg were scheduled to play in Dyersburg on September 18th of this year, but Dyersburg cancelled due to Covid.)

The Trojans and Tomcats have played 89 games.  Haywood has won 56.  Dyersburg has won 33.

Go Tomcats!