South Pittsburg at Gordonsville

powerp

23 minutes ago, croz6110 said:

2.3%

Too high lol

In all seriousness...SP has the advantage all over but just like the boys have been told that doesn't matter. Gordonsville has the tradition and will come out and hit you over and over again in the mouth. Our guys know they have to bring it from the start.

Edited by powerp

9 hours ago, piratetom said:

Man I remember that game way too well. The memory still haunts me. That was one of the toughest on the field losses I ever had to endure. Coming off two straight State Championship appearances that was tough to swallow. I knew we were in for a long night when on the very first play I pulled from the guard position to block the linebacker and when I squared him up, he didn't budge. 

piratetom here I thought I was the only one to have played in that one. Let me tell ya after 86 we had hoped for that rematch. Its good some of us old guys are still around to talk football! Coach Grider  said a few words to us outside the locker room and although you could tell he wasn’t happy he was a class act. Always respected the man after that night.

13 hours ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

In 1987 everyone was anxiously waiting on the semifinal matchup between South Pittsburg and Greenback. Gordonsville was just the final bump in the road. It was the quarterfinals and we were traveling up there. Everyone was expecting a Pirate victory and our quarterback was asked about it when the Chattanooga news stations came down to conduct interviews about the game. He knew what could happen and made the quote "On any given night...." 

That Friday night at Turney Ford Field was one of the coldest nights that I can remember. Gordonsville went on to demolish us 36-0 proving the old adage "Any given night."

That was a cold night! Hope you boys are looking forward to Coalfield or OZ with his week! Safe travels up out of the Balley!

Just now, MainStreetBengal said:

That was a cold night! Hope you boys are looking forward to Coalfield or OZ with his week! Safe travels up out of the Balley!

I learned that night not to take anyone for granted. 

When the lights came on and you guys were jumping around on the field I thought "Oh crap, this isn't good."

Then it got worse.

5 minutes ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

I learned that night not to take anyone for granted. 

When the lights came on and you guys were jumping around on the field I thought "Oh crap, this isn't good."

Then it got worse.

Lol That was spur of the moment and it was perfect! The thing I remember was the confidence you guys had then we went off the field and came back it got real serious in a hurry!  Seriously we knew how good y’all were and it would be foolish to say we’d racetrack you every time like we did that night. Unfortunately we laid an egg against A good Greenback team the next week and the rest is history!

21 minutes ago, MainStreetBengal said:

Lol That was spur of the moment and it was perfect! The thing I remember was the confidence you guys had then we went off the field and came back it got real serious in a hurry!  Seriously we knew how good y’all were and it would be foolish to say we’d racetrack you every time like we did that night. Unfortunately we laid an egg against A good Greenback team the next week and the rest is history!

That was a good Greenback team. They have a state title to prove it. There were 3 teams in the east better than Richland. 

50 minutes ago, MainStreetBengal said:

piratetom here I thought I was the only one to have played in that one. Let me tell ya after 86 we had hoped for that rematch. Its good some of us old guys are still around to talk football! Coach Grider  said a few words to us outside the locker room and although you could tell he wasn’t happy he was a class act. Always respected the man after that night.

There are a few others on here that played in the game as well. But they won’t compromise their identities.

Edited by piratetom