Coaching openings

Mooreboy3

21 hours ago, TheAmbassador said:

I was looking at some dates just now. Whitwell and Marion  average a new head coach every 2 seasons for the past 20 years. That’s what can’t happen here. 

This is what I was getting at when I made the post that went into great detail about how SP has been able to win the majority of the games against Marion County since 2006. The talent gap has not been that lopsided. Yes, SP has probably had a couple of more athletes than Marion more times than Marion has had the talent advantage. The fall from grace can happen quick. Also, hiring from within doesn't always equate to success. I feel like SP could promote from within with a couple of guys and still be a very successful team year in and year out due to the consistent stream of talent and being in 1A never hurts either when it comes to playoff time (before anybody says anything yes I know you don't have any control over it and you have had success against teams in higher classifications most of time). Having a solid youth and middle school program doesn't hurt either. 

Edited by oldfaithful
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, oldfaithful said:

This is what I was getting at when I made the post that went into great detail about how SP has been able to win the majority of the games against Marion County since 2006. The talent gap has not been that lopsided. Yes, SP has probably had a couple of more athletes than Marion more times than Marion has had the talent advantage. The fall from grace can happen quick. Also, hiring from within doesn't always equate to success. I feel like SP could promote from within with a couple of guys and still be a very successful team year in and year out due to the consistent stream of talent and being in 1A never hurts either when it comes to playoff time (before anybody says anything yes I know you don't have any control over it and you have had success against teams in higher classifications most of time). Having a solid youth and middle school program doesn't hurt either. 

I agree with you once again. If Coach Grider leaves who all from within our program wants it though. That’s my only question. 

5 hours ago, rlh said:

That's Jasper's wishful thinking so many of them can come out of The Fiery Gizzard or Ridley's basement.

Careful rlh, it is easy to think that your program would never find itself in that position but money talks. Take a look at your old playoff rival TC. A tradition rich program who has the 4th most state championships in TN and has always had the talent with the exception of a couple of years. The fans are not the ones who are doing the hiring, it is out of your hands. You have to put faith in the administration and hope they make the right choice. SP dodged this once by not hiring Ross. Who would have been a homerun hire but Ross is a guy who is always looking for that next opportunity. Finding a young successful driven coach that wants to stay in the small town setting is extremely hard to come by these days. SP is lucky to have Vic for as long as they have. In about 3 to 4 years maybe Tyner will be sorry that they forced Wayne out the door. As for Marion County, I like Dale as a coach and person. However, as the late Harvey Updyke would say, I believe Dale just has "too much bama in him". I hope we are able to hang on to him for a long time, but it wouldn't surprise me if Dale goes back home again. 

2 minutes ago, oldfaithful said:

As for Marion County, I like Dale as a coach and person. However, as the late Harvey Updyke would say, I believe Dale just has "too much bama in him". I hope we are able to hang on to him for a long time, but it wouldn't surprise me if Dale goes back home again. 

If he leaves again that would be an old fool me once shame on me fool me twice.. however that saying goes. 

10 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

If he leaves again that would be an old fool me once shame on me fool me twice.. however that saying goes. 

He will be here for 2021, but after that who knows. That is just my two cents. I'm not as plugged in as PP68, Truth, or even probably Bushog for that matter. Would like hear there thoughts on the matter. 

I think Shawn would have been a decent replacement for Vic if he was still on the staff. Don't believe he would be as good as Vic but I think he would have been in it for the long haul. He has had a taste of the GA money and probably wouldn't come back now. Also believe that Wes would be a solid HC.

5 minutes ago, oldfaithful said:

He will be here for 2021, but after that who knows. That is just my two cents. I'm not as plugged in as PP68, Truth, or even probably Bushog for that matter. Would like hear there thoughts on the matter. 

I think Shawn would have been a decent replacement for Vic if he was still on the staff. Don't believe he would be as good as Vic but I think he would have been in it for the long haul. He has had a taste of the GA money and probably wouldn't come back now. Also believe that Wes would be a solid HC.

I wouldn't say plugged in lol. I do hear things that 9 times out of 10 do pan out. Coach Pruitt is in his 3rd yr as a teacher in the state of TN. I believe you have to do 5 to be vested. Most knew that he would be short term. You never know though. There are a lot of good kids coming up and if they pan out, or stay, it could be some very successful years in the future. 

12 minutes ago, oldfaithful said:

Those guys would be pretty good, but I believe the newest coach on the staff would also be interested since he’s been a head coach before. He’s not from here like a few others, but I guess it’s nice to have some options. 

6 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

Those guys would be pretty good, but I believe the newest coach on the staff would also be interested since he’s been a head coach before. He’s not from here like a few others, but I guess it’s nice to have some options. 

Question is will the South Pittsburg faithful get behind a coach not name Grider when he does retire?

Just now, jimmycrackedthatcorn said:

Are you talking about Coach Wagg? 

Yes, that’s him. There are several on staff that are qualified to take it. Several have been mentioned already. Grider, Stone, Dawkins, and Waggoner. I’m not sure if all or any of them want it though. Maybe Coach Grider stays around awhile longer and we don’t have to worry about it though.