Fayetteville looks to be a 1A power for a while

DealLawyer

When I saw their name I didn’t recognize it and had to look it up to make sure it was in Lincoln county. What’s the story there? You don’t see many new 1A schools come online like that with a bigger county school a few miles away. Gotta be a political story somewhere. city was dissatisfied with county school? 

anyway, with the freshman RB and TV broadcast mentioned several transfers from former big school power Lincoln County, seems like they are set up very well to have success at the 1A level. Maybe they can battle Peabody for the next few years.  

and what happened to Lincoln county? A power in the 80s and early 90s but seem to have fallen off big time. 

26 minutes ago, DealLawyer said:

When I saw their name I didn’t recognize it and had to look it up to make sure it was in Lincoln county. What’s the story there? You don’t see many new 1A schools come online like that with a bigger county school a few miles away. Gotta be a political story somewhere. city was dissatisfied with county school? 

anyway, with the freshman RB and TV broadcast mentioned several transfers from former big school power Lincoln County, seems like they are set up very well to have success at the 1A level. Maybe they can battle Peabody for the next few years.  

and what happened to Lincoln county? A power in the 80s and early 90s but seem to have fallen off big time. 

I can't speak to Fayetteville, but what happened to LC is Louis got old and middle tn underwent a population explosion. Doesn't help that Fayetteville got a big chunk of the talent

Edited by MidTennFootball

14 minutes ago, DealLawyer said:

Been varsity since '13 and made the playoffs several times with what ammounted to good talent and lack of coaching, Now they got the coach to match the talent. 

Edited by Snowballschance
  • Like 1

I'm sure others could give you a much longer version, but there had been some that had wanted a high school for the City schools for a long time. A long-time superintendent had been staunchly opposed, and there was never enough push from others to give it any traction. A decade back, there was a different school board and a different director of schools who were supporters of the idea, and it happened fairly fast. The argument I've heard is that a lot of the kids that the City schools serve were falling through the cracks once they got to the high school. Sports weren't a driving factor as far as I can tell, but I do remember talk they'd be a force in basketball (the old junior high basketball program was dominant in the region for decades) and football, as they were "playing 1A football with 5A talent." It took several years for that to happen in football in particular, though.

Lincoln County stared sliding in the mid '90s, with a couple peaks again in the early 2000s. It appeared from the outside that the program got stale, and there were also other schools in their class that were getting far bigger. Fayeteville native O'Connor from Giles County High had agreed to come back to try to revive LCHS, but then he backed out when City announced its plans to open a high school. LCHS took a big hit in speed and athleticism when that happened, and it's become even bigger now that City's football program is good enough that no one is leaving after middle school to go to LCHS, which still happened some until really last year. Truth be told, if the schools were still merged LCHS would have a good chance at winning 5A next year, as they have a few very good players returning and would be the biggest school in that class.

There was a lot of bad blood for years, particularly from the LCHS side and probably mostly from older administrators and boosters. I don't know if it's still the case, but for years LCHS refused to play City in any sport. That's a shame, as it'd be a fun game to watch and would draw huge crowds. It'd be like the old City v. Central (the former big County junior high) junior high rivalry on steroids. The kids and fans looked forward to those games all year.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info.  Hopefully sports was not a driving factor. But it’s certainly a good formula for success at 1A with a pretty good talent base and ability to steal kids from bigger county school that used to be a power. As the 1A school has success more kids will want to play there. Pretty unique situation 

25 minutes ago, GG22 said:

I'm sure others could give you a much longer version, but there had been some that had wanted a high school for the City schools for a long time. A long-time superintendent had been staunchly opposed, and there was never enough push from others to give it any traction. A decade back, there was a different school board and a different director of schools who were supporters of the idea, and it happened fairly fast. The argument I've heard is that a lot of the kids that the City schools serve were falling through the cracks once they got to the high school. Sports weren't a driving factor as far as I can tell, but I do remember talk they'd be a force in basketball (the old junior high basketball program was dominant in the region for decades) and football, as they were "playing 1A football with 5A talent." It took several years for that to happen in football in particular, though.

Lincoln County stared sliding in the mid '90s, with a couple peaks again in the early 2000s. It appeared from the outside that the program got stale, and there were also other schools in their class that were getting far bigger. Fayeteville native O'Connor from Giles County High had agreed to come back to try to revive LCHS, but then he backed out when City announced its plans to open a high school. LCHS took a big hit in speed and athleticism when that happened, and it's become even bigger now that City's football program is good enough that no one is leaving after middle school to go to LCHS, which still happened some until really last year. Truth be told, if the schools were still merged LCHS would have a good chance at winning 5A next year, as they have a few very good players returning and would be the biggest school in that class.

There was a lot of bad blood for years, particularly from the LCHS side and probably mostly from older administrators and boosters. I don't know if it's still the case, but for years LCHS refused to play City in any sport. That's a shame, as it'd be a fun game to watch and would draw huge crowds. It'd be like the old City v. Central (the former big County junior high) junior high rivalry on steroids. The kids and fans looked forward to those games all year.

The city team last year could have played against lake county 

11 minutes ago, DealLawyer said:

Thanks for all the info.  Hopefully sports was not a driving factor. But it’s certainly a good formula for success at 1A with a pretty good talent base and ability to steal kids from bigger county school that used to be a power. As the 1A school has success more kids will want to play there. Pretty unique situation 

Yeah, that could definitely happen moving forward, but so far it really hasn't been the case. Almost all of the City kids have been kids that grew up in City schools. Both City and County schools are open zoned, though, so it's not at all unusual for a City kid to grow up in a County school of vice versa, as long as they don't need to ride the bus. It's been that way for at least 40-50 years at the elementary and junior high/middle school level; it just carries over to high school now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snowballschance said:

The city team last year could have played against lake county 

No they could have not. Enjoy your state title. It was great and I am happy for City. The City team this year didn't just blow Lake County away. City is a good team and deserved the title this year but the City from last year could not hang. 

2 minutes ago, TheTruthPrevails said:

Too bad Peabody is coming down to 1a.  Fc should petition to move to the east and they can play the tide in the finals.

They’d get McKenzie in round 3 and McKenzie has already penciled in a rematch with us in the semis so no, I believe they will beat McKenzie next year if everything plays out good for them. 

long road still for us. It’ll be us and the Falcons on our side of the deal I believe