Best Pound 4 Pound Wrestlers in Tennessee - DII

615Wrestling

18 hours ago, durdon said:

You left both Corday and Dendy off your list. Both are nationally ranked by Flo, have placed at 32 and Fargo.  Both have a ton of wins against nationally ranked kids.  
if we go by Flo’s current rankings for 20/21 then it would go like this. 

#9 James Howard 

#10 Alex Whitworth 

#13 Nick Corday 

#14 Garrison Dendy 

#19 David Harper 

Since Howard is having to sit out this season to rehab his knee I would put the top 5 like this. 

1. whitworth - ranked 10th by Flo at 170. 4th at 32. 2 time placer at Preps. 

2. dendy- ranked #14 at 145 by Flo.  8th at 32.  Has a ton of wins against top 20 kids.  Double Fargo AA.  prep national placer. 

3. Corday - ranked #13 at 113 by Flo. Fargo  AA. A ton of wins against top 20 kids. 

4. Harper - ranked 19th by Flo at 195. Double Fargo AA twice. Prep national placer.  

5. Roller - not ranked by Flo but should be. 6th at super32. Prep national placer.  

It’s a really strong year in D2 this year.  I would guess it’s one of the strongest groups ever especially when you add in Dalrymple, Cagle, Ivy, Taylor, Dalon  you have 10 kids that are going to wrestle D1 in college in this junior and Senior Class. And,  of course both Howard and Peterson could wrestle D1 if they weren’t going to play D1 football instead. 

I agree that DII is very strong this year!!

I missed Dendy’s Super32 placement.  He is great but finished 4th at Regional tournament last month.

Corday is solid at 106/113 but he’s 106/113.  Let’s see how he does when he gets bigger.

Flo Rankings are a mess right now.  They even admit that.  Especially at the upper weights because they have no recent National competition to go off of.  Huge number of football guys that didn’t participate at Super32 or duals in Georgia.

I love this kind of discussion around wrestling in Tennessee.  I can’t wait to watch all these guys at state.

53 minutes ago, knoxvball said:

I missed Dendy’s Super32 placement.  He is great but finished 4th at Regional tournament last month.

Corday is solid at 106/113 but he’s 106/113.  Let’s see how he does when he gets bigger.

Flo Rankings are a mess right now.  They even admit that.  Especially at the upper weights because they have no recent National competition to go off of.  Huge number of football guys that didn’t participate at Super32 or duals in Georgia.

I love this kind of discussion around wrestling in Tennessee.  I can’t wait to watch all these guys at state.

Quality high school football players hardly ever participate at Super 32!  That is the main reason it is so easy for a decent 285lb kid that has been training for wrestling to place at Super 32.  Let's be honest and say that most kids that wrestle 170lb and up are usually some of the better players on their high school football team.  IMO, everyone needs to encourage these young wrestlers to continue being multi sport athletes.  Gray Simons has always said that he would much rather recruit a strong multi sport athlete than someone that only focused on wrestling.  His feelings were that he could teach them how to wrestle but he could not make them a great athlete.  

32 minutes ago, cbg said:

Quality high school football players hardly ever participate at Super 32!  That is the main reason it is so easy for a decent 285lb kid that has been training for wrestling to place at Super 32.  Let's be honest and say that most kids that wrestle 170lb and up are usually some of the better players on their high school football team.  IMO, everyone needs to encourage these young wrestlers to continue being multi sport athletes.  Gray Simons has always said that he would much rather recruit a strong multi sport athlete than someone that only focused on wrestling.  His feelings were that he could teach them how to wrestle but he could not make them a great athlete.  

Having a football player that wrestles I agree so much with this statement.  

8 hours ago, knoxvball said:

Dendy just beat Taylor 4-3

9 hours ago, knoxvball said:

The regional tourney that Garrison Dendy finished 4th at was knockout.  He lost to the number #6 ranked kid Tom Crook - NC State commit who is great and #7 ranked kid Caden Mccary UNC commit who also won super32 this year. And in the semis,  Caden lost to Jaekus Hines the number 17 ranked kid who Crook beat in the finals.  So this regional tourney had 4 big board ranked kids in the semis so Garrison 4th place finish was extremely respectable. 

When you are talking about mythical P4P, I don’t see how you can say one weight class isn’t as important as another weight class.  You have to look at the body of work of the kids against the kids that they wrestle against.  Corday has an absolute ton of big time wins at his weight class, probably more than any other TN kid.  If Roller were to drop to 13 which he can I personally would think that Roller wins a head to head match up against Corday but in a P4P ranking I think you have to put Corday above Roller simply because he has a better body of work than Roller currently has because he had to sit out last  years high school season and covid. 

I also don’t see how you can diminish Corday by saying let’s see how he does when he gets bigger when he is a 6/13 but then say Roller is 2nd best in your ranking when he is a 13/20.  They are both lightweights.  

Edited by durdon
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, durdon said:

The regional tourney that Garrison Dendy finished 4th at was knockout.  He lost to the number #6 ranked kid Tom Crook - NC State commit who is great and #7 ranked kid Caden Mccary UNC commit who also won super32 this year. And in the semis,  Caden lost to Jaekus Hines the number 17 ranked kid who Crook beat in the finals.  So this regional tourney had 4 big board ranked kids in the semis so Garrison 4th place finish was extremely respectable. 

When you are talking about mythical P4P, I don’t see how you can say one weight class isn’t as important as another weight class.  You have to look at the body of work of the kids against the kids that they wrestle against.  Corday has an absolute ton of big time wins at his weight class, probably more than any other TN kid.  If Roller were to drop to 13 which he can I personally would think that Roller wins a head to head match up against Corday but in a P4P ranking I think you have to put Corday above Roller simply because he has a better body of work than Roller currently has because he had to sit out last  years high school season and covid. 

I also don’t see how you can diminish Corday by saying let’s see how he does when he gets bigger when he is a 6/13 but then say Roller is 2nd best in your ranking when he is a 13/20.  They are both lightweights.  

I hadn’t seen Crook committed to the Pack.  When did that happen?

1 hour ago, durdon said:

I agree Corday is a great wrestler.  The reality is, the lightest weights have younger, less developed kids.  Also, very few of those kids would be big time college recruits because they aren’t big enough yet.  There are several great 106/113 kids that develop into outstanding 120/126 pounders  but many don’t.  

In my opinion, kids that prove themselves across multiple weight classes get my vote over a nationally ranked 106/113 pounder.  Also, anyone who proves themselves in the meat grinder weight classes (126-160) gets my pick over 106/113.  Finally, multi-sport athletes that are successful on National stage get my vote over the light kids.

You have to admit, if Corday (or ANY ranked 106/113) wants to wrestle D1 he has to be successful at 120/126 down the road.  

Again, there is no right answer....this is all just to stir up interest before my favorite high school sporting event.

4 hours ago, knoxvball said:

I agree Corday is a great wrestler.  The reality is, the lightest weights have younger, less developed kids.  Also, very few of those kids would be big time college recruits because they aren’t big enough yet.  There are several great 106/113 kids that develop into outstanding 120/126 pounders  but many don’t.  

In my opinion, kids that prove themselves across multiple weight classes get my vote over a nationally ranked 106/113 pounder.  Also, anyone who proves themselves in the meat grinder weight classes (126-160) gets my pick over 106/113.  Finally, multi-sport athletes that are successful on National stage get my vote over the light kids.

You have to admit, if Corday (or ANY ranked 106/113) wants to wrestle D1 he has to be successful at 120/126 down the road.  

Again, there is no right answer....this is all just to stir up interest before my favorite high school sporting event.

I was curious about your theory so I just looked up Flo’s top 10 D1 ranked 125p and 4 of the 10 wrestled 113p their Junior year exactly the same as Corday.  I would suspect that if I was to check the 11-20 that it would be even higher percentage than 50%. And looking at the high school stats of those guys, Corday has better achievements than most of them did.  So, it looks like Corday is right on track to be a very successful D1 wrestler once he gets to West Point. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, durdon said:

I was curious about your theory so I just looked up Flo’s top 10 D1 ranked 125p and 4 of the 10 wrestled 113p their Junior year exactly the same as Corday.  I would suspect that if I was to check the 11-20 that it would be even higher percentage than 50%. And looking at the high school stats of those guys, Corday has better achievements than most of them did.  So, it looks like Corday is right on track to be a very successful D1 wrestler once he gets to West Point. 

I have never understood why a college coach would recruit someone that wrestles 126lb as a senior to be a 125lb in college.  Even if the kid is only cutting 10lb we all know that if their body grows and matures any at all they will never make 125/lb more than one season.  Yes, there are a very few exceptions to everything.  Why not recruit a tough 120lb high school senior and put them on a great strength training program and allow their bodies to grow.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cbg said:

I have never understood why a college coach would recruit someone that wrestles 126lb as a senior to be a 125lb in college.  Even if the kid is only cutting 10lb we all know that if their body grows and matures any at all they will never make 125/lb more than one season.  Yes, there are a very few exceptions to everything.  Why not recruit a tough 120lb high school senior and put them on a great strength training program and allow their bodies to grow.  

Exactly!  Spencer was the only 125 in the top 10 that wrestled above 126 in HS and I think there was only one other one that wrestled above 120.  Most of them wrestled 120 their senior year.