Milan Bulldawgs 2021

9 hours ago, stacmot said:

The powers to be think our facilities are quite adequate.  They say there is no money for turf, better stands, or a track that doesn't encroach on the field, and that's probably true.  A lot of people would rather invest their money in paying tuition to the Jackson privates. 

Although there is some money here, Haywood County is one of the poorest counties in the state.  There's no major company or industry to help support the program in any significant way.  There are few, if any, big time boosters.  As more and more people move out of Brownsville and as more businesses close because of the pandemic, the situation is only going to get worse.

As you know, running a football program costs a lot of money.  Haywood was only able to play 2 regular season games at home in 2020.  We were at home for 3 playoff games, but the T$$AA kept a major share of that.  With ticket sales limited to one-third capacity, i know the program. like other programs across Tennessee and other states, had to suffer financially. Haywood sought donations from the community to make the trip to Cookeville, but I'm sure other communities did that as well.

As more and more communities like Milan invest in their youth and athletic programs, I fear what might happen to Haywood's football program in the future.  It will definitely hamper our ability to attract and keep good coaches like we have now.

I could say more, but I'd rather not say it here.

I really appreciate this response. There are a ton of Cats, Lions, Eagles, Bears, and ( dawgs )  but there is only 1 Tomcat. That would be the Haywood Tomcats. The Haywood program as long been respected, and feared in west TN. 

The thing I appreciate most about the response is just the honest answer. I knew some of this, but not all of it. 

Haywood might be caught in a bit of a money crunch from this past season, but I believe they will rebound. Y'all have a great coaching staff there. I am a fan of your head coach. He is a really smart guy, does it the right way, and has honor about him. 

Like you stated, Haywood is not going to be the only school that is going to have some issues with money. The Covid thing is going to have ripples that effect all of our communities for years to come. 

I have not been to a high school home game when Covid was not a factor. Does Haywood normally fill the stands up on most Friday night home games? 

Edited by ManOfMillions

16 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

I really appreciate this response. There are a ton of Cats, Lions, Eagles, Bears, and ( dawgs )  but there is only 1 Tomcat. That would be the Haywood Tomcats. The Haywood program as long been respected, and feared in west TN. 

The thing I appreciate most about the response is just the honest answer. I knew some of this, but not all of it. 

Haywood might be caught in a bit of a money crunch from this past season, but I believe they will rebound. Y'all have a great coaching staff there. I am a fan of your head coach. He is a really smart guy, does it the right way, and has honor about him. 

Like you stated, Haywood is not going to be the only school that is going to have some issues with money. The Covid thing is going to have ripples that effect all of our communities for years to come. 

I have not been to a high school home game when Covid was not a factor. Does Haywood normally fill the stands up on most Friday night home games? 

I know this post is probably better suited for the Region 7-4A thread.  I  really don't know if it's possible to move a post from one thread to another, so I'll apologize and continue.

Thanks for the kind words Man Of Millions.

Haywood's stadium really isn't that bad, but it (like a lot of other stadiums) definitely pales in comparison to Johnnie Hale.  What did you think of our facilities when you broadcast the SGC-Haywood game back in September?

We generally pack the home stands for big ball games (especially if we're playing a big rival), and there are a lot of people who tend to prefer to stand along the fence. I hope fans who didn't attend games in 2020 will come back once the Covid threat is over.  Who knows if or when that will be!

I don't think Haywood fans travel as well as they should.  I don't believe we packed the visitor's stands at SGC for the big game we played in 2019.

I've never met our coaches, but I like what I've read, heard, and seen.  I hope they hang around for a while.  

To sort of get back on topic, let's team up and put a little juju on BPM and his Dawgs!

There is no doubt that Milan is the preseason favorite in 7-4A.  Will the Hornets, Tomcats, Cavaliers, Rebels, or Indians be able to stop them?  SGC and Haywood are Milan's first two region opponents.  If the Bulldogs win those two games. watch out!  Milan will definitely have the momentum going against Crockett, Obion, and North Side.

7 hours ago, stacmot said:

I know this post is probably better suited for the Region 7-4A thread.  I  really don't know if it's possible to move a post from one thread to another, so I'll apologize and continue.

Thanks for the kind words Man Of Millions.

Haywood's stadium really isn't that bad, but it (like a lot of other stadiums) definitely pales in comparison to Johnnie Hale.  What did you think of our facilities when you broadcast the SGC-Haywood game back in September?

We generally pack the home stands for big ball games (especially if we're playing a big rival), and there are a lot of people who tend to prefer to stand along the fence. I hope fans who didn't attend games in 2020 will come back once the Covid threat is over.  Who knows if or when that will be!

I don't think Haywood fans travel as well as they should.  I don't believe we packed the visitor's stands at SGC for the big game we played in 2019.

I've never met our coaches, but I like what I've read, heard, and seen.  I hope they hang around for a while.  

To sort of get back on topic, let's team up and put a little juju on BPM and his Dawgs!

There is no doubt that Milan is the preseason favorite in 7-4A.  Will the Hornets, Tomcats, Cavaliers, Rebels, or Indians be able to stop them?  SGC and Haywood are Milan's first two region opponents.  If the Bulldogs win those two games. watch out!  Milan will definitely have the momentum going against Crockett, Obion, and North Side.

From what I remembered about the stadium, the entrance, and bathrooms were really nice. The turf looked to be in decent shape. The press box had electricity and a bathroom! That is lights out for me because I have been put in a press box that does not have either. Several years ago, the AD walked me over to the other side of the home stands and put me in a bug infested, dark, zero electricity, visitors press box! I had to drive to a dollar general several miles from the stadium and buy every extension cord they had to get a broadcast off. I found a working plug on the back of one their buildings and just prayed that no one tripped over it or unplugged me. ( cough, sneeze, cough, Obion ) I literally was using the flash light on my cell phone to see the rosters. Sorry for the side bar, I still have not forgot about that stunt. To finish my thought the press box was just old. Still very functional, just old. The folks there were as nice and kind to us as they could possibly be. 

It is going to be a tall order to knock off the dawgs but it can be done. I think the only teams that have a chance to do it in our region are Haywood, SGC, and Crockett. I put Haywood first for a reason.

On a different note, I am glad that Haywood and Covington got back to scheduling each other ever year. That is one of the games that if I were not on the air I would be at. You can always count on a good game. 

The stadium is adequate and the field is well maintained, but the middle school, B teams, varsity and rain do a number on it. Turf would be nice.  After the monsoon season we had in October and November of 2018,  the field was in such bad shape Haywood moved two of their playoff games to the turf field at Jackson Christian.

I'm glad we're playing Covington too.  The Covington-Haywood rivalry was a big one back in the day. Don't tell chargerfan, but we're going to beat his Chargers this year!

10 hours ago, stacmot said:

The stadium is adequate and the field is well maintained, but the middle school, B teams, varsity and rain do a number on it. Turf would be nice.  After the monsoon season we had in October and November of 2018,  the field was in such bad shape Haywood moved two of their playoff games to the turf field at Jackson Christian.

I'm glad we're playing Covington too.  The Covington-Haywood rivalry was a big one back in the day. Don't tell chargerfan, but we're going to beat his Chargers this year!

I saw that, Stacmot!

Covington has to break in a new QB and primary running back this year, as Ruffin and Hayes graduated. Y'all may well be favored, as we also graduated All-State linebacker Lareko Burton. This could be a re-building year for us. 

But, I have confidence that Coach Kirby will field a competitive team. We may have a surprise or two in our bag of tricks.