State tourny in cookeville?

90warrior

Tennessee Tech would double the attendance of MTSU. There are so many Upper Cumberland teams that could make the tournament...both White Co teams, McMinn girls, Cookeville girls, Stone Memorial girls, Livingston girls, Macon Co girls, both Upperman teams, both Clay Co teams, both Pickett Co teams, Clarkrange girls, Watertown both teams, and Oneida is close by...both teams. Local fans would attend. Locals from Murfreesboro don't go. Tech's gym is way better than MTSU's. It's a no brainier.

11 hours ago, bobcatfan300 said:

Tennessee Tech would double the attendance of MTSU. There are so many Upper Cumberland teams that could make the tournament...both White Co teams, McMinn girls, Cookeville girls, Stone Memorial girls, Livingston girls, Macon Co girls, both Upperman teams, both Clay Co teams, both Pickett Co teams, Clarkrange girls, Watertown both teams, and Oneida is close by...both teams. Local fans would attend. Locals from Murfreesboro don't go. Tech's gym is way better than MTSU's. It's a no brainier.

In most normal years, wanting to have locals attend would be a good thing, but this year you probably don't want to look at that as a factor. Long term, I think it'd be good to see it moved elsewhere, especially to an area that would support it, regardless of the schools involved. I know that if state tournament was held near us, I'd be likely to attend, just to see some good ball. 

15 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

In most normal years, wanting to have locals attend would be a good thing, but this year you probably don't want to look at that as a factor. Long term, I think it'd be good to see it moved elsewhere, especially to an area that would support it, regardless of the schools involved. I know that if state tournament was held near us, I'd be likely to attend, just to see some good ball. 

Why would it be a bad idea for locals to attend?

20 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

Why would it be a bad idea for locals to attend?

Biggest problem I have had with this whole deal is the Governor has picked on sports attendance even though you wear a mask and get a temperature check. At the same time you can’t go to games, you can go to bars and dance clubs with no masks and no temperature checks, sing and dance side by side...Their take I am sure is they are doing this for a living. Well basketball and sports are money makers too. 

Just now, pioneer42 said:

Biggest problem I have had with this whole deal is the Governor has picked on sports attendance even though you wear a mask and get a temperature check. At the same time you can’t go to games, you can go to bars and dance clubs with no masks and no temperature checks, sing and dance side by side...Their take I am sure is they are doing this for a living. Well basketball and sports are money makers too. 

I totally agree some of the stuff that they’re doing makes absolutely zero sense. 

2 hours ago, SportsWestTN said:

Only reason is because of capacity limits. If gyms are going to be held to 1/3rd or 1/4th capacity, I want the schools involved to have full dibs on tickets. In a normal year, I think having locals in attendance is a great thing!

Tech would hold a lot more than any high school gym. 9,280 seats

Edited by UCSportsFan

14 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Tech would hold a lot more than any high school gym. 9,280 seats

I don't disagree, which is why I think a college gym is preferred. COVID capacity limits would put TTU at 2800-3000 people, which is still far more than a high school gym at full capacity. 

The previous point I made (the one you questioned), was about having locals come. If there are excess tickets, sell them to the public. But this year, given the restrictions, tickets should be made fully available to the schools playing, before being opened to the public.

1 hour ago, SportsWestTN said:

I don't disagree, which is why I think a college gym is preferred. COVID capacity limits would put TTU at 2800-3000 people, which is still far more than a high school gym at full capacity. 

The previous point I made (the one you questioned), was about having locals come. If there are excess tickets, sell them to the public. But this year, given the restrictions, tickets should be made fully available to the schools playing, before being opened to the public.

Locals can just go through the schools and get their tickets. I would imagine that if they cleared gym out after every game and they knew the allotment they sold to schools they could still sell tickets at the gate to make the 3000 person  limit. Somebody like me could probably leave the gym, may cost me an extra ticket per game, and watch several games. If TSSAA had a 3000 seat limit and planned it right, they could make a lot of extra ticket sales. 3000 people is quite a few and most fans leave after their team plays.