AAA Bracketology

Bump11

Next up, 126. 

Starting from the top, this is the weight that boasts possibly the P4P best in AAA (minus Chittum), one Trey Bates. The recent CMU commit is on another level here.

Looking at this bracket as a whole, it’s definitely a bit top heavy. There’s 5 guys at the top, and then everyone else. In order for someone outside of that top 5, to podium in the top 5, it’s gonna take an upset or 2. Bates, Sells, Warnock, Lipsey, and Randall have separated themselves from the pack throughout the year. It’s going to take an inspired performance to break into that top 5. Something i don’t see happening. Now that 6th spot, that’s another story. Many will try (11 to be exact) and 1 will succeed. Who’s it gonna be? Keep an eye on Ben Tucker and Damen Pullen. 2 underrated, underclassmen, with some talent. Is it enough to get to the top 5, likely not, but if i had to pick a sixth, my money is on one of these 2  

Favorites: Trey Bates (Beech)

Dark Horses: Dylan Burns (Bearden), Damen Pullen (Collierville), Ben Tucker (Volunteer), Justin Noll (Sunmit)

Matches/Potential Matches To Watch: #4 Warnock vs #5 Randall, Tucker vs Pritchett, #2 Sells vs #4 Warnock, Tucker vs Pullen, #3 Lipsey vs #4 Warnock, # 1 Bates vs #2 Sells

Podium Prediction:

1. Trey Bates (Beech)

2. Mason Sells (Blackman)

3. Connor Warnock (Wilson)

4. Easton Lipsey (Bradley)

5. Charles Randall (Cleveland)

6. Ben Tucker (Volunteer)

One Match Away: Justin Noll (Summit), Dylan Burns (Bearden)

Edited by Bump11

Throw out a name from 126 in Region 1 who falls in the dark horse category: Dylan Winchell from Cocke County.  A transfer from out of state but he looks legit and if he comes in ready he could be a bracket buster.  Tucker from Volunteer wrestled a heck of match to decision him.  He also has some really solid wins throughout the course of the season.

Edited by oceansize42

132 is next. 

Lead by (In bracket order) Brennan Watkins, Riley Fort, Sammy Shires, and Jackson Bradford..this is one weight where the top 4 kids could actually be the 4 semifinalists. Now, i know some of you are going to say, “well what about Desselle...didn’t he beat Bradford?”. And the answer is yes. Yes he did. Now this next statement is not meant to take anything away from Landon... but with that being said, there are other things to be factored in here. Bradford was hurt, he tried to continue but ran out of injury time and the match was called. Bradford is also a former state champ, 2x finalist, 3x medalist. He’s one of the better lightweights of the past decade, and while Landon is a stud, and earned that win..based on Bradford’s body of work, he gets the benefit of the doubt here. 

Speaking of Desselle though, he leads the rest of the pack in the race for those 2 other podium spots. A pack that includes a returning medalist in Taron Patterson, who, himself, is no slouch.  The consolation rounds here should have a lot of solid matches, and don’t be surprised if there’s a small upset or 2. 

Favorites: Brennan Watkins (Dobyns), Riley Fort (Wilson), Sammy Shires (Rossview), Jackson Bradford (Cleveland)

Dark Horses: Chase Russell (Halls), Adam Tibitoski (Oakland), Mason Sutton (Bartlett), Grant Hawkinson (Page)

Matches/Potential Matches To Watch: Davis vs Hawkinson, #5 Watkins vs #3 Desselle, #6 Patterson vs #2 Fort, Sutton vs Russell, Sutton vs Davis, #3 Desselle vs Hawkinson, #3 Desselle vs Patterson, #5 Watkins vs Davis.... #5 Watkins/#3 Desselle vs #2 Fort, #1 Shires vs #4 Bradford, #1 Shires vs #2 Fort... really any combo of those 5, including a potential rematch between Bradford and Desselle that i’m sure all eyes would be on.

Podium Predictions:

1. Sammy Shires (Rossview)

2. Brennan Watkins (Dobyns)

3. Jackson Bradford (Cleveland)

4. Riley Fort (Wilson)

5. Landon Desselle (Summit)

6. Hunter Davis (Heritage)

One Match Away: Mason Sutton (Bartlett), Taron Patterson (Bradley)

Edited by Bump11

I’m in a good mood so let’s do 2 tonight shall we! Here’s 138. 

Now, correct me if i’m wrong, but if memory serves me right, Trae McDaniel hasn’t lost a match to someone from the state of Tennessee since a 5-3 decision in the 2018 state finals to Trey Bates, when both were freshmen. That loss, along with a 2-0 decision loss to Chandler Davis a couple of weeks earlier, are his only 2 career losses to anyone from Tennessee. If that isn’t dominance, i don’t know what is. The West Point commit rarely gets challenged in-state, and although there are a couple of studs in Belcher and Fort on the bottom half, i don’t see either of them challenging him. This might be the second easiest weight to pick a winner, behind his makeshift teammate who we will discuss in the next preview. It’s McDaniel or bust here, and i’m taking McDaniel. 

2nd-6th however, are anything but locks. There’s probably a few guys in Belcher, Fort, and Hylton who are locks to medal, but what number ends up next to their name, is far from a lock. These 3 and a few others will do battle to get on the podium, while McDaniel watches from his seat at the top. 

Favorites: Trae McDaniel (Cleveland)

Dark Horses: James Strong (Cookeville), Justin Mumaw (Hendersonville), Zachary Garabrandt (Farragut), Jonathan Kiser (Halls)

Matches/Potential Matches To Watch: Strong vs Mumaw, Hylton vs Mumaw/Strong, #2 Belcher vs #3 Fort, Hylton vs #2 Belcher/#3 Fort, #6 Roaten vs Mumaw, #6 Roaten vs Kiser, #6 Roaten vs Strong, and for the sake of Cleveland vs Bradley.. #1 McDaniel vs #2 Belcher

Podium Predictions:

1. Trae McDaniel (Cleveland)

2. Luke Belcher (Bradley)

3. Alan Fort (Wilson)

4. Ethan Hylton (Crockett)

5. Justin Mumaw (Hendersonville) 

6. Jacob Roaten (Arlington)

One Match Away: Jonathan Kiser (Halls), Austin Noll (Summit)

Edited by Bump11

7 hours ago, Bump11 said:

132 is next. 

Lead by (In bracket order) Brennan Watkins, Riley Fort, Sammy Shires, and Jackson Bradford..this is one weight where the top 4 kids could actually be the 4 semifinalists. Now, i know some of you are going to say, “well what about Desselle...didn’t he beat Bradford?”. And the answer is yes. Yes he did. Now this next statement is not meant to take anything away from Landon... but with that being said, there are other things to be factored in here. Bradford was hurt, he tried to continue but ran out of injury time and the match was called. Bradford is also a former state champ, 2x finalist, 3x medalist. He’s one of the better lightweights of the past decade, and while Landon is a stud, and earned that win..based on Bradford’s body of work, he gets the benefit of the doubt here. 

Speaking of Desselle though, he leads the rest of the pack in the race for those 2 other podium spots. A pack that includes a returning medalist in Taron Patterson, who, himself, is no slouch.  The consolation rounds here should have a lot of solid matches, and don’t be surprised if there’s a small upset or 2. 

Favorites: Brennan Watkins (Dobyns), Riley Fort (Wilson), Sammy Shires (Rossview), Jackson Bradford (Cleveland)

Dark Horses: Chase Russell (Halls), Adam Tibitoski (Oakland), Mason Sutton (Bartlett), Grant Hawkinson (Page)

Matches/Potential Matches To Watch: Davis vs Hawkinson, #5 Watkins vs #3 Desselle, #6 Patterson vs #2 Fort, Sutton vs Russell, Sutton vs Davis, #3 Desselle vs Hawkinson, #3 Desselle vs Patterson, #5 Watkins vs Davis.... #5 Watkins/#3 Desselle vs #2 Fort, #1 Shires vs #4 Bradford, #1 Shires vs #2 Fort... really any combo of those 5, including a potential rematch between Bradford and Desselle that i’m sure all eyes would be on.

Podium Predictions:

1. Sammy Shires (Rossview)

2. Brennan Watkins (Dobyns)

3. Jackson Bradford (Cleveland)

4. Riley Fort (Wilson)

5. Landon Desselle (Summit)

6. Hunter Davis (Heritage)

One Match Away: Mason Sutton (Bartlett), Taron Patterson (Bradley)

I fully agree with you on this one Bump

What I’ll never understand is that you’ll never hear much about Traes accomplishments for the state of Tennessee or at a national level. Kids that have done less get more exposure it seems. The kid is a absolute monster and a great kid. Speaking of that loss to 5-3 loss to Bates a couple years ago in the finals. That very next year they wrestled, Trae absolutely mauled Bates. That motivated him like crazy and shows how hard he works. This kid as been underestimated for 4 years now. As won state at 3 different weights. Somebody better put some RESPECT on Traes name!!!!!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, fooseball95 said:

What I’ll never understand is that you’ll never hear much about Traes accomplishments for the state of Tennessee or at a national level. Kids that have done less get more exposure it seems. The kid is a absolute monster and a great kid. Speaking of that loss to 5-3 loss to Bates a couple years ago in the finals. That very next year they wrestled, Trae absolutely mauled Bates. That motivated him like crazy and shows how hard he works. This kid as been underestimated for 4 years now. As won state at 3 different weights. Somebody better put some RESPECT on Traes name!!!!!

I'm not sure in Trae's entire high school career I've ever seen anybody disrespect Trae's name. Everybody knows who he is and how good he is. Which is a reason 138 is one of the weaker weights this season. Because everybody is running from Trae.

3 minutes ago, Ummmno said:

I'm not sure in Trae's entire high school career I've ever seen anybody disrespect Trae's name. Everybody knows who he is and how good he is. Which is a reason 138 is one of the weaker weights this season. Because everybody is running from Trae.

Maybe disrespect wasn’t the word I was looking for but he doesn’t get the same amount respect of some of kids from Baylor or McCallie. I even remember people Picking against him in matches Against Braden Ivy in the past and we al know those results 

13 minutes ago, fooseball95 said:

I’m in !!! I think trae is the #1 hammer in the state ! The prob is the guys that show respect don’t won’t any shadow over their make believe picks ! This instate comparison bs cracks me up ! If you’ve not traveled outside this state and wrestled you’ve did nothing ! Look at all the weights bump they all get on the cells and call jump weight make sure they pin their way to a crappy Tn state title then get on here and brag about how much these un technical fat guys can bench who cares !!! The prob is most don’t even k ow all they know is Tn style !!! Your welcome