Best Assistant Coach

HILTONHEAD2020

On 2/17/2021 at 11:00 AM, HILTONHEAD2020 said:

That has never been a head Coach. This could be someone now or someone from years ago that was just a career assistant coach!

2 guys, Josh Hackett(DC at Watertown) and Stephen Jackson(DC at Oakland) both are names to look for in the near future!

I've been around a long time and seen many great assistant coaches that fell on their face when handed the wheel of the ship. I've seen many a situation where people didn't like the head coach because he was the bad guy and the assistant coach wasn't and when the head coach left the good guy couldn't handle the dirty jobs because he wasn't a bad guy. 

3 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I've been around a long time and seen many great assistant coaches that fell on their face when handed the wheel of the ship. I've seen many a situation where people didn't like the head coach because he was the bad guy and the assistant coach wasn't and when the head coach left the good guy couldn't handle the dirty jobs because he wasn't a bad guy. 

Spot on! I’ve witnessed this scenario several times myself. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chs1984 said:

Spot on! I’ve witnessed this scenario several times myself. 

I played in a situation like this chs, The head coach was like your daddy and the assistants were like your mother. Played for a coach that won three state championships and the guy went out to get the pieces he needed to win while his good assistant coaches done the rest. When the head coach left because everyone thought the sun rode on the assistants shoulders the program slipped a notch. The biggest difference I saw in the two was that the assistant coach was more quite natured and didn't go out of his way to get the pieces he needed to win nor did he have the staff the former coach had. I can promise anyone out there right now if that coach was still in charge half the players if not most that are going to Alcoa from other schools would be at Maryville and I would put my life on that bet. Anyone on this board from Maryville would make the same bet also that was from that time period. I even saw the great George Quarles allow a couple of players slip right through his hands that went onto Alcoa and bit him on the butt a few times later. That wouldn't have happened if Wilson was still able to coach today and there would be such a gap between Alcoa and Maryville just like it was in my day with a 15 year winning streak during the time he was there.