Never too early, Coaching Vacancies

TennesseeValley

4 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

I hadn’t watched South Gibson a ton but always have thought they could do really well pressing a lot and playing fast because the very little that they did press they did well. Problem is they rarely pressed therefore they obviously didn’t practice press a lot and would fall apart against teams like South Side and Gibson County when they full court pressed and hit them in the mouth.  South Gibson needs to be the one that hits teams in the mouth. They won’t have a big post as far as I know and hadn’t several years. Embry will have to hold them accountable in practice in a big way for fundamental mistakes and run run run and get them disciplined and mentally tough. They were playing better and hired a good strength and conditioning coach last year. I think they have some talent on the team and younger talent coming up. They just need to live it as much as they can and change their culture and I think they will see a big difference.

The times Ive seen them they havent looked well conditioned. Hard to press when you are winded playing normal defense. 

I think it is important for these kids to play as many sports as they want.  Any coach that manipulates them into quitting one sport just to play only the one they coach, should be fired.  These kids are 15-18 years old.  They need to be able to play what they want.

Any word on Bolivar or Clarksburg?

1 hour ago, OrangeGuru said:

Did the your family member want the Gold Ball or was it you and Gibson County that wanted it? 

Her, me and Gibson County all wanted it. Gibson County don’t make kids do stuff on their own but they will gladly go open the gym if a player wants to go work out. Gibson County works them a ton when they are there, but a lot of there players work on there own as well. She is a gym rat and the gym is where she feels relaxed and is that serene environment for her. I pushed her to be her best and work on her weaknesses. She never once complained about doing extra work and lessons because she enjoyed it. Met a lot of other players, trainers and coaches. Keep in mind while one team is vacationing and taking it easy there are lots of teams getting after it and working hard. My mentality is and Gibson County’s mentality is if you are going to do something give it your all. 

1 hour ago, SportsWestTN said:

The times Ive seen them they havent looked well conditioned. Hard to press when you are winded playing normal defense. 

What I am saying. They need to be in the gym more. They got a lot of work to do over there. Same players you seen winded there parents will be the one’s going to principals saying there kid don’t need to be on the bench or the coach mistreated my child. I am for Katie and I will support her and her program, but they need a culture change in the worse way.

I see a lot of burnout in kids now days. Coaches telling kids they need to only do their sport no others. IMO coach should be fired kids need to try multiple sports. I saw girl become three time state champion in track and still went on to play college basketball

23 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Nothing wrong and I agree. But you got to have your basketball program installed with camps, play days, strength and conditioning programs and drills throughout the year to keep crisp and to better your program. There are breaks here and there. Gibson County lost 7 players in 2019 and 6 in 2020 90% of them starters and role players and beat South Gibson, who lost 0 players the year before by almost 40 and a running clock. All about the program and the culture. I had 1 in my family I trained 24/7 1) because we wanted to win a Gold Ball and 2) because she wasn’t blessed with great speed and she led the state in 3’s in Single A and Double A in 2020 and is number 6 all time in the TSSAA record books for most single season three’s with 123. I spent thousands of dollars sending her to Jeremy Vonner at Solus in Jackson and other trainers and place was full of girls from all over mainly USJ and TCA girls, who played for a title and won a title. Parents know their kids weaknesses and instead of griping about their kid not playing get in the gym and practice and work on your weaknesses on your own and give the coach reasons to keep your kid on the floor. If your kid is playing ball and your not committed to giving it your all your wasting time, IMO. 

Best quote i've seen in a long time. Parents have rose colored glasses and only see what they want to see. Great programs play the best kids and the best kids are the ones who work everyday, period. Shooting, passing, dribbling, defense, IQ, strength, agility are all vital to being a great player. Very well said pioneer.

3 hours ago, TrickyD said:

I see a lot of burnout in kids now days. Coaches telling kids they need to only do their sport no others. IMO coach should be fired kids need to try multiple sports. I saw girl become three time state champion in track and still went on to play college basketball

Totally agree 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bobcats83 said:

I think it is important for these kids to play as many sports as they want.  Any coach that manipulates them into quitting one sport just to play only the one they coach, should be fired.  These kids are 15-18 years old.  They need to be able to play what they want.

Any word on Bolivar or Clarksburg?

Totally agree.  Let em play  

haven’t seen anything on Bolivar or clarksburg

3 hours ago, Airball said:

Best quote i've seen in a long time. Parents have rose colored glasses and only see what they want to see. Great programs play the best kids and the best kids are the ones who work everyday, period. Shooting, passing, dribbling, defense, IQ, strength, agility are all vital to being a great player. Very well said pioneer.

It is the truth. You get out of it what you put into it. I see parents griping because there kid got sit during a game after a kid just had a half dozen TO’s. Great for kids to play other sports. But the program don’t stop because other kids are playing other sports. All of what you said are worked on constantly during the year to be a great program. It is not by accident the same programs year end year out are at the state or in the hunt late. Do think a lot of programs have coaches that don’t create a working culture because they don’t want to work themselves. Starts at the top being a great organizer. 

• 2 weeks later...