AA Substate Predictions

sportslover88

23 hours ago, Americal198 said:

South Greene had two different quarantine periods. Several non-conference games were cancelled. It's hard to stay in game shape that way. The last month things have begun to get back to normal for everyone. Got two tickets for Northview tonight. 

It looks like you guys put up a good fight. I would check scores and it looked like it was back and forward. A 3 point loss is tough, but it looks like the top 4 teams in region 1 and 2 are really close with two 3 point games. Good luck to you guys next season.

1 hour ago, Dadof2 said:

It looks like you guys put up a good fight. I would check scores and it looked like it was back and forward. A 3 point loss is tough, but it looks like the top 4 teams in region 1 and 2 are really close with two 3 point games. Good luck to you guys next season.

Our girls played very well in a very hostile environment. I have not seen any stats, but it looked like South Greene was not turning the ball over as much as usual or, at least, were able to quickly get the ball back. SG came to play defense and I thought theirs was better than Northview's. Foul trouble hurt SG, late in  the game

It is tempting to blame the officiating, but had SG done a better job making their free throws and three point shots, they would have won. 

We lose three seniors who will be hard to replace, but do have some experienced talent returning. Hopefully, their youth will spend this summer in camp, staying in shape and learning.

Meigs looks to have a tough draw in the tourney. I've not seen Westview play, but believe they will be tough. Same with Grainger, if Meigs and Grainger win in the first round.

I've seen Grainger play several times in the past few years. Tori Rutherford has built her reputation scoring points, but is also a very quick defender—one of the best. Lauren Longmire has been the MVP twice in the tourney this year. About 5'11", she loves to hit shots from the perimeter. If they get hot shooting threes, look out. They have two very good players in Matty Tanner and Audrey Stratton. 

Good luck in the tournament. I believe Meigs has a good chance of advancing—one game at a time

24 minutes ago, Americal198 said:

Our girls played very well in a very hostile environment. I have not seen any stats, but it looked like South Greene was not turning the ball over as much as usual or, at least, were able to quickly get the ball back. SG came to play defense and I thought theirs was better than Northview's. Foul trouble hurt SG, late in  the game

It is tempting to blame the officiating, but had SG done a better job making their free throws and three point shots, they would have won. 

We lose three seniors who will be hard to replace, but do have some experienced talent returning. Hopefully, their youth will spend this summer in camp, staying in shape and learning.

Meigs looks to have a tough draw in the tourney. I've not seen Westview play, but believe they will be tough. Same with Grainger, if Meigs and Grainger win in the first round.

I've seen Grainger play several times in the past few years. Tori Rutherford has built her reputation scoring points, but is also a very quick defender—one of the best. Lauren Longmire has been the MVP twice in the tourney this year. About 5'11", she loves to hit shots from the perimeter. If they get hot shooting threes, look out. They have two very good players in Matty Tanner and Audrey Stratton. 

Good luck in the tournament. I believe Meigs has a good chance of advancing—one game at a time

Meigs don’t play great last night but got the win. The officiating was pretty bad both ways. Meigs got in foul trouble and Stone had to leave the game early and she got her 4th in the third quarter, and I thought we might be in trouble, but she stayed in a fouled out with 7 seconds left. It was a game of runs, Meigs took the lead in the first quarter and never let it go, they got up every quarter about 8 and you had the feeling that they were about to run away with it but York would come right back. Meigs could’ve put it away but missed was too many free throws. 

On 3/6/2021 at 1:07 AM, UCSportsFan said:

If York can win at Upperman they can win at Meigs. I’ll say York by 3.  39-36

Looks like Meigs played well at home. It's tough making predictions, that's why I don't make them. What I will say is, looking at the remaining teams, there is no overwhelming favorite to win it all.

I watched Meigs give Upperman all they wanted last season on a neutral court, before losing in OT.

Dad of 2 reports Meigs returns all five starters. That, and a pretty good coach, should be a factor going against WV. We shall see!

3 minutes ago, Dadof2 said:

Meigs don’t play great last night but got the win. The officiating was pretty bad both ways. Meigs got in foul trouble and Stone had to leave the game early and she got her 4th in the third quarter, and I thought we might be in trouble, but she stayed in a fouled out with 7 seconds left. It was a game of runs, Meigs took the lead in the first quarter and never let it go, they got up every quarter about 8 and you had the feeling that they were about to run away with it but York would come right back. Meigs could’ve put it away but missed was too many free throws. 

Jacelyn Stone has a great chance to make people aware of who she is. I remember her last season. 

At any rate, Meigs played well enough to win. 

7 minutes ago, Americal198 said:

Jacelyn Stone has a great chance to make people aware of who she is. I remember her last season. 

At any rate, Meigs played well enough to win. 

She definitely a player. I think she had around 20 last night despite being in foul trouble. All 5 starters have signed to play at the next level. 4 going to TWU and 1 going to Bryan. You don’t see that happen much.

On 3/6/2021 at 7:22 PM, sportslover88 said:

Fayette Ware is playing the hold the ball strategy against Westview. Westview is up 18-15 at halftime

Credit to FW for doing what it took to keep that game close, but this is just another example of why we need a shot clock in high school. Even if it is a 40 second shot clock, we need something to keep the pace of play going. I've watched way too much "hold the ball" this year. Sometimes it is the right strategy, but it isn't fun to watch. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SportsWestTN said:

6 of 8. Seems to be where I land in AA. Had same record in region championships.

We played Meigs and Macon, both teams had 5 senior players that started and played most of the game.  What about other teams still in tournament?  Are they senior heavy, young, etc.  McMinn Central played 1 senior, 6  juniors, and 2 freshman consistently, and carried no sophmores.

33 minutes ago, logcabinman said:

We played Meigs and Macon, both teams had 5 senior players that started and played most of the game.  What about other teams still in tournament?  Are they senior heavy, young, etc.  McMinn Central played 1 senior, 6  juniors, and 2 freshman consistently, and carried no sophmores.

Looks like you guys hung with Macon. How does Meigs compare to Macon this year?