AA Substate Predictions

sportslover88

4 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

If I'm Haskins, I'm running a 2-3 zone also!!! He has 3 of the tallest and strongest kids on the floor in nearly every game he plays with the Leyhue's and Barr. This comes down to player personnel. Westview has the advantage in the paint defensively and you're one and done on missed shots because they're getting the rebound. Westview is giving up roughly 30 PPG this season. I would say a 2-3 zone is the go-to.

I'd also bet that Haskins spends some practice time switching back to man, just in case. Personnel dictates the scheme with most good coaches, but in game adjustments as well as opposing personnel could warrant changing up what the opponent expects to see too. Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see it at some point if they need it.

2 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

I'd also bet that Haskins spends some practice time switching back to man, just in case. Personnel dictates the scheme with most good coaches, but in game adjustments as well as opposing personnel could warrant changing up what the opponent expects to see too. Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see it at some point if they need it.

State Tournament you throw everything out there. They've played a lot of zone this year, but I know they've run some press and other things. Any good team (in my opinion), isn't going to be one dimensional and just come in with one defense to run. Just like how you wouldn't come in with one offensive play, you don't want to give someone the chance to beat you just because they scheme the right plays for your defense. Have to be prepared to mix it up. Even if they stay in zone, wouldn't be surprised if you see a 1-2-2 or 1-3-1 thrown out there. Plus going back to man or running a press is always a possibility. I don't think their starters are the right personnel to press with, but if they are forced to go into their bench, it might be the better play.

Haskins is a good coach and will have them prepared.

2 hours ago, SportsWestTN said:

I wouldn't say they are any more talented than in past seasons, possibly a touch less. As others have noted they have a TON of length. Pair of twins who play wing that are over six foot and a post player who is over six foot (even Jada, their PG, is physically imposing). That being said, they aren't the quickest as a team, so they shore up the lack of speed by playing zone and using their length to their advantage. They played a quick South Side team and did just fine playing it. In years past they had more speed, so could play a lot faster.

Also, as others mentioned, it is an active zone. They don't just sit and let you pick the zone apart. They do a good job trapping and disrupting in it. 

I would say they will play zone against Meigs, because they are really quick and the PG is really hard to stay in front of and can finish with the best of them. On defense Meigs will press the hole game. They start 5 senior.

14 minutes ago, Dadof2 said:

I would say they will play zone against Meigs, because they are really quick and the PG is really hard to stay in front of and can finish with the best of them. On defense Meigs will press the hole game. They start 5 senior.

Meigs may have more success than JSS with that tactic, but the Lady Hawks are as athletic and well schooled as they come when it comes to pressing and playing fast. The Charger's aren't a good draw for that type team, as their point has proven that she can handle the pressure and still preform at a high level.

3 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Meigs may have more success than JSS with that tactic, but the Lady Hawks are as athletic and well schooled as they come when it comes to pressing and playing fast. The Charger's aren't a good draw for that type team, as their point has proven that she can handle the pressure and still preform at a high level.

It sounds like the Westview PG is very similar to the Meigs PG. the Meigs PG is not very tall but almost impossible to press because of her ball handling, it’s really good. But they are not very deep and they don’t have a lot of size inside. But they are well coached and all 5 can shoot the three. So that could cause some problems if Westview is in a 2-3 zone and they don’t get out to the shooters.

6 hours ago, Dadof2 said:

It sounds like the Westview PG is very similar to the Meigs PG. the Meigs PG is not very tall but almost impossible to press because of her ball handling, it’s really good. But they are not very deep and they don’t have a lot of size inside. But they are well coached and all 5 can shoot the three. So that could cause some problems if Westview is in a 2-3 zone and they don’t get out to the shooters.

Westview’s PG is a sophomore with offers from Louisville, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, West Virginia with many more on the way. She’s not exactly small either. She is 5’8 and physically overpowers defenders to the rim. And you better guard her as soon as she cross half court, no joke.... just go watch her hudl highlights. She’s as good as it gets in Tennessee.

Edited by GCPioneer

9 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

Westview’s PG is a sophomore with offers from Louisville, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, West Virginia with many more on the way. She’s not exactly small either. She is 5’8 and physically overpowers defenders to the rim. And you better guard her as soon as she cross half court, no joke.... just go watch her hudl highlights. She’s as good as it gets in Tennessee.

Agree with you. Have had the pleasure of watching her play several times. She is special!