2A Region 5 Preview

Overland

23 hours ago, Salem said:

You can count on one hand the number of 1A/2A coaches in the state who have had more talented upper classmen running their programs in the last 4 years. We've had an athletic senior QB 3 of 4 years.  I would say this group would be in the top 15, maybe top 10  in 1A and 2A ball since 2018 based on ability but ranks in the bottom based on production. Meglis had as good an arm as anyone in 1A/2A, he could roll left and flick the ball 55 yards downfield on a rope across his body.  Kirby was one of the best unused dual threat QB for two years. Instead they were limited to bootleg passes on 3rd and long. Bennett hasn't touched a football since 9th grade and has made plays all year when put in good situations. To say we have underachieved at this position based on the player's available is a huge understatement.  Team doesn't have a clue who will take snaps next year, just like they didn't have a clue last year at this time. 

not only is eli not a good person. he is a clueless football coach. i have been saying this for almost 3 years. 

Cascade (7-1, 2-1) at Loretto (3-5, 0-3): Despite a Week 7 loss to Region 5-2A leader Forrest, the Champions are still eying a home game to open the playoffs. QB/LB Ryan Inmon heads a dominant ground game and defense that has held seven of eight foes to 17 points or fewer, including a 22-14 win over visiting Jo Byrns last week. Loretto, meanwhile, stopped a three-game skid in Week 8 with a 21-13 win at Moore County. RB Kase Tucker rushed for 187 yards and all three TDs -- giving him 461 yards and five scores on the year -- in the absence of Caden Porter (643 yards, seven TDs), still nursing an ankle injury sustained in a 19-0 loss at Summertown the previous week. Tucker and Porter, if available, could provide the Mustangs with a one-two ground-game punch that could challenge the visitors. Cascade 20, Loretto 14.

Forrest (5-2, 3-0) at Richland (4-3, 1-2): The ninth-ranked (Associated Press Class 2A) Rockets were idle following their 24-7 win at Cascade and look to virtually clinch the Region 5-2A title with a road win. Forrest rushed for 220 of its 267 offensive yards in the Cascade victory, led by RB Chris Davis (eight carries, 86 yards). Richland, meanwhile, comes off a stretch of three games during which the Raiders have outscored their opponents 124-6 -- most recently getting a four-TD passing performance from sophomore QB Bryce Miller in a 35-6 non-region win over Collinwood. RB Sam Edwards leads the Richland ground game with 551 yards and seven TDs. Forrest 26, Richland 20.

Mt. Pleasant (3-4, 1-2) at Summertown (4-2, 2-1): Injuries have helped knock the Tigers off stride, but a road win here against the same team that started their slide with a 13-12 victory in the 2020 season opener would do Mt. Pleasant a lot of good -- both emotionally and in terms of postseason prospects. While they’ve been sporadic offensively, the Tigers’ defensive play will be the key in this one. LBs Euriah Archibald and Matthew Holden have performed well behind a front led by Gavin Alderson, and they’ll be put to the test by the Eagles’ run-based attack. QB Colton Shaffer and RB Javen Edmiston provide a two-pronged threat, combining for eight TDs in five on-field games. Both coming off open dates, the winner keeps itself firmly in the playoff hunt out of Region 5-2A. Summertown 28, Mt. Pleasant 17.

Summertown wins 35-7. Forrest wins (was 28-14 with under 2 to play at the time of this posting). That set up the playoffs.

Congrats to Forrest on the region championship. The #2 seed will be decided when Cascade and Summertown face off the final week of the season. Summertown will definitely be HUNGRY to bring their first ever HOME playoff game to town as a #2 seed. They have qualified previously as a 1A school but had to host their game at Lawrenceburg. This would be a true home game IF IT HAPPENS. 3rd will go to the loser of that game and send them on the road. The 4th seed, that goes to the Raiders of Richland. 

Can anyone give us a good run down on who our region teams will be facing come playoff time?

On 10/11/2021 at 10:00 AM, GeneralForrest said:

Forrest by 13

Cascade by 10

Summertown by 7

On 10/10/2021 at 2:29 PM, wholder said:

Chapel Hill beats Richland

Cascade over Loretto

Summertown takes out Mt Pleasant (#championshipmindsetisonhold)

Nice work, gentlemen. 

Forrest by 14

Cascade by 12

Summertown by 28

16 hours ago, Vandychris said:

Summertown wins 35-7. Forrest wins (was 28-14 with under 2 to play at the time of this posting). That set up the playoffs.

Congrats to Forrest on the region championship. The #2 seed will be decided when Cascade and Summertown face off the final week of the season. Summertown will definitely be HUNGRY to bring their first ever HOME playoff game to town as a #2 seed. They have qualified previously as a 1A school but had to host their game at Lawrenceburg. This would be a true home game IF IT HAPPENS. 3rd will go to the loser of that game and send them on the road. The 4th seed, that goes to the Raiders of Richland. 

Can anyone give us a good run down on who our region teams will be facing come playoff time?

With playoff teams 1 through 3 being set there are scenarios where any of the other 3 teams could secure the final spot. Some are possible and some are far reaching. If MP beats Forrest, they are in (the most unlikely scenario) If MP loses and Richland beats Loretto they are in. The possible scenario for that I think could happen that would put Loretto in the 4th spot is for Loretto to beat Richland and MP lose to Forrest and Richland must lose to East Hickman this week. If that happen then Richland, MP, and Loretto would end up 1-4 in the region with each beating the other causing the 2nd tiebreaker to kick in which is overall record. Loretto and Richland would be 4-6 and MP 3-7 which would eliminate MP leaving Loretto and Richland to go back to head-to-head. Since Loretto beat Richland the last game then they would secure the 4th playoff spot.  

39 minutes ago, GeneralForrest said:

Forrest dominated a lot of the game, and the entire 2nd half, as noted by @ddaddy and myself. Still, they only won by 14. 

General, I’m not trying to get into a debate or butt into Forrest business, but I saw two different teams playing Richland last night. It seemed like the first half Richland was playing for their playoff lives and Forrest was just going through the motions. One playing their super bowl and the other playing a backyard Thanksgiving game with friends. I thought Richland played just as hard the 2nd half as the 1st, but the difference was that Forrest put their foot on the gas and turned it up a notch. Our Loretto game was very much like that except we never could gain back the momentum that we gave up early in the game. Hats off to Forrest for not letting this game get away from them when Richland had the momentum. Also, hats off to Richland for having their kids ready to play.

1 minute ago, ddaddy said:

General, I’m not trying to get into a debate or butt into Forrest business, but I saw two different teams playing Richland last night. It seemed like the first half Richland was playing for their playoff lives and Forrest was just going through the motions. One playing their super bowl and the other playing a backyard Thanksgiving game with friends. I thought Richland played just as hard the 2nd half as the 1st, but the difference was that Forrest put their foot on the gas and turned it up a notch. Our Loretto game was very much like that except we never could gain back the momentum that we gave up early in the game. Hats off to Forrest for not letting this game get away from them when Richland had the momentum. Also, hats off to Richland for having their kids ready to play.

i see where you are coming from. thats why we are here. to hash it out. i appreciate you attending the game.

the thing is, someone here posted that Forrest was dialed in and focused. i didnt see that at all and obviously you didnt either. Forrest, and fans, myself included, sometimes act like "OMG THIS IS THE BIGGEST GAME IN HUMAN HISTORY" and it can keep you from just doing your thing. Fumbling an opening kickoff means something is seriously lacking in the focus dept. Richland's 2 TDs both had insane extenuating circumstances. 

your a quality poster. you can speak your mind with me anytime. we had some good battles when we were in the same region. good luck the rest of the season. 

7 minutes ago, ddaddy said:

richland was also at home. they were definitely fired up and so was their crowd. forrest seemed dazed and in the playoffs that will get you beat by round 2 at the latest 

It was a good game. Forrest did what they needed to do and put the game away.  Lots of hitting going on. Richland was without their DC, starting MLB, and one of their WR. May not have changed outcome, but certainly affected game. Also thought it was horribly officiated all they way around. Even the Forrest PA guys admittedly questioned several calls.