Dobyn’s Bennett 6a @ Tennessee High 5a 2021

Romansfive8

1 hour ago, WaCoJaCo said:

They don't know how to cover, deep or short. If they move the defenders back then they just throw short passes on them. They bring them up and they just let the receiver run by them and get open by 10 yards. Doesn't matter where the defender lines up, they don't know how to cover a receiver. There's no possible way it can be the players fault. It's been this way for 25+ years. The thing is, I'm not sure they even think there is a problem with the secondary. I've never heard them talk about it as a problem. 

Well....regardless if they (staff) thinks there's a problem or not, it's going to be an issue again from the 2 scrimmages I've been to. I also watched Greeneville vs West Ridge. Greeneville has a really nice passing game and will probably go for 300+ yards. No idea about anyone else on the schedule, as far as a passing game goes. 

19 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

Well....regardless if they (staff) thinks there's a problem or not, it's going to be an issue again from the 2 scrimmages I've been to. I also watched Greeneville vs West Ridge. Greeneville has a really nice passing game and will probably go for 300+ yards. No idea about anyone else on the schedule, as far as a passing game goes. 

Science Hill will be throwing it all over the field this year if you believe all the hype.... that has yet to be seen but I have a  feeling the Toppers will have an explosive passing offense

46 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Science Hill will be throwing it all over the field this year if you believe all the hype.... that has yet to be seen but I have a  feeling the Toppers will have an explosive passing offense

How would SH fair against Oakland, Maryville, Summit or Independence?  In the past SH could compete with the upper East Tennessee but have had a difficult time when they ventured outside the East Tennessee area.  

Edited by cbg

2 hours ago, cbg said:

How would SH fair against Oakland, Maryville, Summit or Independence?  In the past SH could compete with the upper East Tennessee but have had a difficult time when they ventured outside the East Tennessee area.  

In a game with Oakland or Maryville.....A score something like 40-0. We'll find out for sure on 9-24 when Science Hill travels to Maryville. 

Edited by WaCoJaCo
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, cbg said:

My best guess is that they would fair about as well as most class 5/6 A teams fair after they leave this region. It rarely ends well. 

3 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

My best guess is that they would fair about as well as most class 5/6 A teams fair after they leave this region. It rarely ends well. 

Why do the teams in that region struggle so much when they leave the comfortable confines of Upper East Tennessee?  Is it coaching, administration or players

15 hours ago, cbg said:

Why do the teams in that region struggle so much when they leave the comfortable confines of Upper East Tennessee?  Is it coaching, administration or players

Coaching? Yes, coaching is an obvious yes.

Administration? Yes. Administration hires the coaches and oversees the facilities.

Players? Yes. We can point to Greeneville and Betsy, and that's true, but in order to win, you have to have talented players. Their state titles have come when they have talented players.  As you climb further up the food chain in classification, the harder it gets. The Nashville metro and Knoxville metro area schools with good football programs always have students from other schools interested in participating in their programs, and they can draw from a far bigger pool of talent than the upper ET schools can. 

One other thing I'd add, and it ties into coaching and (IMO) is as important as anything is having a well organized, well coached, highly monitored youth league and middle school programs. If you don't have this, whoever is coaching the high school team is going to be limited in what they can do. 

6 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Since we are in a 5A/6A thread I would still say yes, yes, yes.      But for 4A I agree with you

It wasn't that long ago that you guys were saying nobody in "upper east tn." could compete with the rest of the state. Now 4A not only competes but has been pretty dominate for the past 5 years. What changed in 4A? Coaching that's what. If anybody ever gets serious in 5A/6A up here and puts a good coaching staff together you'll get on the band wagon. Science Hill rivals any school in the state year after year with athletes. Poorly coached. 

4 hours ago, JDHoss said:

Coaching? Yes, coaching is an obvious yes.

Administration? Yes. Administration hires the coaches and oversees the facilities.

Players? Yes. We can point to Greeneville and Betsy, and that's true, but in order to win, you have to have talented players. Their state titles have come when they have talented players.  As you climb further up the food chain in classification, the harder it gets. The Nashville metro and Knoxville metro area schools with good football programs always have students from other schools interested in participating in their programs, and they can draw from a far bigger pool of talent than the upper ET schools can. 

One other thing I'd add, and it ties into coaching and (IMO) is as important as anything is having a well organized, well coached, highly monitored youth league and middle school programs. If you don't have this, whoever is coaching the high school team is going to be limited in what they can do. 

You sir are 100% correct about the youth leagues. And that is the first thing a "good" coaching staff does. They set up the youth leagues to prepare them for high school. The youth league coaching in the Tri-Cities is embarrassing. Always has been.