Dobyn’s Bennett 6a @ Tennessee High 5a 2021

Romansfive8

I sure did enjoy watching the AC and Dobbyns Bennett Scrimmage Friday night.  I got to meet and talk with a few DB fans.  They were amazed at the Jumbotron and the sideline live camera shots that were being played during the game.  DB started off strong with a good run game behind some big offensive lineman.  AC got it figured out after that, and put a stop to the run game.  The Indians seemed to struggle throwing the ball, but I bet that's not in their wheelhouse.  AC quickly caught fire on offense throwing the ball, and it went up and down the field on DB.   AC was able to get their All State Back involved as well, and the OL opened some holes for him and he made some very nice runs.    DB will be fine as the season goes, they have a good team with some good coaching.  Good to see all the folks that made the drive to AC, and we wish yall the best of luck this season.  

On 8/2/2021 at 7:23 AM, Red Rebels said:

I be leery of putting too much money into that longhorn sign. I’m surprised that Texas hasn’t found them like they did Johnson County. Maybe Texas only did a word search and not an image search. AC has fancy lights, fancy fireworks and now the big video board right across from the stands. It’s a nice place.

AC did have to change their logo. They've got a new long horn now even saw the Trade Mark sign on it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DBfan02 said:

Did anyone on here go to the DB and Lord Botetourt scrimmage? Would like to know how both teams looked if anyone on here attended 

Considering the size advantage Botetourt had up front, D-B held up fairly well after a rough start that saw Botetourt score 2 TD on their 1st 10 play possession. The defense is still a concern, especially in the secondary. Botetourt had a short, but athletic QB that gave the defense fits, but he wasn't accurate on his downfield throws. LB threw deep 5-6 times and had receivers running embarrassingly open, but they only connected on 1 pass for a TD. The offense moved the ball pretty well on the ground and put together 1 scoring drive. They completed a few passes, but threw a couple of picks, including one that was a long pick six for Botetourt. I was a little surprised that Botetourt only brought around 30 players down with them and had some guys going both ways. They have a solid program in 3A and had several big dudes and athletes. Having seen 2 of the 3 D-B scrimmages, I think they finish the regular season 7-3, but they may find themselves involved in a few shootouts. 

8 hours ago, DBfan02 said:

JDHoss thank you for the reply. I haven't been able to make any scrimmages this year. I also think we could be around 7 and 3 just looking at the schedule

Yeah, I think Greeneville, Science Hill and Oak Ridge are off the table, but the rest are winnable. That's a pretty good season for a team replacing as many starters as D-B has.

1 hour ago, JDHoss said:

Yeah, I think Greeneville, Science Hill and Oak Ridge are off the table, but the rest are winnable. That's a pretty good season for a team replacing as many starters as D-B has.

Don't assume Crockett is a win for DB, I know they lost a lot from last year but they are doing a lot of good things in Jonesborough lately, mainly breeding a winning mentality.    I think DB will win that one but this in not the DC of the past, so you guys better be ready for a brawl.

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Don't assume Crockett is a win for DB, I know they lost a lot from last year but they are doing a lot of good things in Jonesborough lately, mainly breeding a winning mentality.    I think DB will win that one but this in not the DC of the past, so you guys better be ready for a brawl.

Assume? I said "winnable". With a defense that has struggled in the preseason, you can't "assume" anything. Even the offense, which has shown some promise in the 2 scrimmages has thrown at least 4 picks in them. There's three games I don't feel like they have a shot at winning, and seven which I feel like are winnable provided they play well.

8 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

Assume? I said "winnable". With a defense that has struggled in the preseason, you can't "assume" anything. Even the offense, which has shown some promise in the 2 scrimmages has thrown at least 4 picks in them. There's three games I don't feel like they have a shot at winning, and seven which I feel like are winnable provided they play well.

I haven't been to a scrimmage but from what I've been told the secondary is about half as good as the past two years. If that's true they may as well move everybody to the line of scrimmage and "bum rush" on every play. The line is big but no experience so it'll be the end of the season before they start to come around. I'd say 6-4 would be a stretch. I don't see DB ever advancing to the title game unless they ban the forward pass in high school. It's just amazing that for the past 25+ years a school the size of DB with all the tradition, facilities, athletes, money, etc., can't find a guy that can teach players to defend against the pass.  

14 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I haven't been to a scrimmage but from what I've been told the secondary is about half as good as the past two years. If that's true they may as well move everybody to the line of scrimmage and "bum rush" on every play. The line is big but no experience so it'll be the end of the season before they start to come around. I'd say 6-4 would be a stretch. I don't see DB ever advancing to the title game unless they ban the forward pass in high school. It's just amazing that for the past 25+ years a school the size of DB with all the tradition, facilities, athletes, money, etc., can't find a guy that can teach players to defend against the pass.  

They played the safeties within 7-8 yards of the LOS, inviting Botetourt to throw deep, which they did. Their QB, while a nice athlete, was an erratic passer and missed multiple TD passes. 

16 hours ago, JDHoss said:

They played the safeties within 7-8 yards of the LOS, inviting Botetourt to throw deep, which they did. Their QB, while a nice athlete, was an erratic passer and missed multiple TD passes. 

They don't know how to cover, deep or short. If they move the defenders back then they just throw short passes on them. They bring them up and they just let the receiver run by them and get open by 10 yards. Doesn't matter where the defender lines up, they don't know how to cover a receiver. There's no possible way it can be the players fault. It's been this way for 25+ years. The thing is, I'm not sure they even think there is a problem with the secondary. I've never heard them talk about it as a problem.