WEEK ONE - Oak Ridge vs South Doyle

CardinalGrey

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

Didn’t see him and yes to your question.

Thats a big loss on defense and at WR.Maybe it was him I heard was out for covid tracing.We had a lot of 10th graders out there on defense that will be dang good players.That is a heck of a team to be your 1st game with Gary and veteran Oline

1 hour ago, STILLNUM1 said:

Thats a big loss on defense and at WR.Maybe it was him I heard was out for covid tracing.We had a lot of 10th graders out there on defense that will be dang good players.That is a heck of a team to be your 1st game with Gary and veteran Oline

You’re right. Didn’t think about it along those lines. Thanks for putting things into perspective.

9 hours ago, osunut2 said:

I will admit, OR's line looks the part. But they were whipped all night long. Hundley is a solid back, but he didn't have a lot of running room out there. If it weren't for Heyward, it wouldn't have been very close. He had an impressive game, and kept OR in it.

Agreed....run blocking was not good at all. I hope South Doyle's defensive front is the best OR will see this year. If not, could be big trouble.

9 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Yeah, I’ve been known to jump the gun, I’ll admit that. I just miss having good offensive lines. It has been 3 years or so since we’ve had one I could call “good”. Just really frustrating with the athletic talent we have. No excuse, especially with how big those boys are. Oh well, I’m done bit$&@& for the night. As awful as we played, we lost by 1 point, so it could be worse, I guess. I reckon I’ll wait on everyone to tell me how awful of a guy I am for telling the truth now. 

I think you are jumping the gun a little but the offensive line got whipped for sure, and that better change quickly. 

9 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Honestly, I don’t think having Jackson would’ve made a dang bit of difference. #22 is more elusive than Jackson and he had NOWHERE to run all night long. We were just flat out whipped up front, bottom line.

Speaking of Jackson, do we know what his injury is? I saw him on the sideline and he wasn't limping, so I guess it's an upper body injury

8 hours ago, bounder said:

Don't know if anyone besides me saw that the play clocks weren't working in the 2nd half. They were getting the plays off with 20 seconds to spare in the 1st half, looked like last year in the 2nd half. Oh Well. Too many cramps and players not knowing when they were supposed to be on the field. If your'er on the kick team get your butt out there when we kick the ball.

I don't think they were. I saw Gaddis going crazy at the time of the delay of game that was awful, and he was pointing to the clock. After that, it didn't seem like they were being used at all.

8 hours ago, OR nole said:

As long as Bervin makes 25 tackles per game and Hayward gets 200+ yards per game, the Cats should be OK.

Seriously, I saw a ton of youthful mistakes. Young DBs and new OL look tremendously unsure and timid. Too many dropped passes also. Basic football - blocking and tackling. They will improve. Maybe a few classes in football IQ like down and distance and clock management. If Tarwater doesn't get crushed, he should be very good by playoffs.

Rogers will change the defense backfield when/if he gets to play

OR can't count on either of those things to happen every week. Th offensive line seems to be the area that better improve quickly but I agree on youthful mistakes everywhere. 

The COACH CATS REPORT:

Offensive Line - D...would be lower except pass protection was OK. Let's hope the SD front was great

Running Backs - NA...nowhere to run

Wide Receivers - B-....a few drops but a pretty good group

Heyward - A+...not as tall but probably better overall than Tee Higgins at this stage of his career

QB - C...I believe that he will be pretty good. Just too many mistakes but he's inexperienced

Defensive Line - C-...allowed too many rushing yards

LB - A...Bervin is picking up where he left off last year

DB - C - pass interference in big situations

Punting - A...the cover guys need to be better at keeping the ball out of the end zone

Kickers - B....kicking the ball in the end zone was good but can't miss an extra point

Coaching - C-.....too many penalties and the delay of game was terrible, unless it was a clock malfunction

As a Clinton fan, one thing I think Rodney Ellison struggles with is getting his teams to run the ball. When he was the OC at Clinton, We were very one dimensional. No run game. I think part of it is the scheme. It's hard to fire off the ball and run block when you are starting from a two point stance.