UC Travels to USJ

BigSwoShow

It was great to start the season with a win last night but we have a bigger challenge coming up this Friday. USJ is definitely a storied program and will certainly help us improve across the board. We have our work cut out for us but our guys are gritty and will be up to the challenge. Let’s talk about it.

Tall task for the Golden Twisty Boys but you never know what can happen on the grid iron ! I expect to see another Old School tornado ground and pound again this week ! 

Edited by PeabodyPride
Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Haven't seen anything from Union City yet, but they're obviously a great program with a ton of history.

The strength of this year's USJ team is in the trenches. They have two Mr. Football type players on the line and size at every position. On offense they have a strong running game with #25 Steele Haynes being the primary runner, and he can scoot.

Pass defense and offense are a work in progress for USJ as the Goodpasture game showed. Goodpasture had a scrambling QB who was able to buy time and keep the sticks moving. USJ gave up four big passing plays for touchdowns, and not much else, but that was enough. The offensive passing game was plagued by drops and tipped balls. Though credit has to go to Goodpasture as they smothered all the intermediate routes all night and were able to pressure the USJ QB. There are some young but very talented players out there getting their first action.

On paper, USJ is the favorite, though the probably were last week too. What are UC's strengths this year? This is a fun matchup.

Friday night's loss was tough, but hopefully a learning experience for the Bruins. Big plays have been a problem for this defense going back to even the preseason scrimmages. All 4 TDs Friday night were busted coverage or missed tackles in the secondary, and this has to be cleaned up. I believe the only time Goodpasture snapped the ball on their side of the 50 was after they recovered a muffed punt. I agree that the trenches are our strength, but the LB corps rotates 5-6 kids that pursue the ball well. The UC running attack against the Bruins run defense will tell the story of this game. USJ will put up points as long as they protect the football. Im looking forward to this matchup.

Going to be a tough match up but I think our coaches will put together a good game plan and if executed right then UC will definitely be in the game. Never been a fan of playing private schools but always have had respect for the Bruins and their fan base, since I started following them when Legendary Coach John Tucker’s Grandson played their. Look forward to a good and hopefully injury free football game.

• Upvote 1