Birth of a new rivalry: West Ridge at Dobyns-Bennett

TribalEmpire

6 hours ago, Gunner0331 said:

My whole life I have seen parents from all three county school systems opt to send their children to DB because they were not satisfied with the sports programs at their schools. I’ve also seen how the nicer neighborhoods that develop within the county end up being able to send their children to DB because somehow Kingsport pulls some strings and gets city taxes from these nicer neighborhoods. Even though these newly developed neighborhoods are geographically located in the county schools zones. For years students have been pulled from the county and sent to DB as long as their parents paid city taxes. Pull up Kingsport City School zone on the internet and see how erratic Kingsport’s City limits are. The City loves getting them taxes from neighborhoods in Orebank, Crown Colony, Preston Forest, Sullivan Gardens, and neighborhoods out by the airport.It’s no wonder West Ridge had to be built. Because KCS kept pulling students from schools that once had 1500 students a piece roaming the halls. 
 Now the playing field is even. And it will be a heck of a game. West Ridge is a decent team now, but once they get to all train together at the same facility all year long, and after one four year rotation from freshman to seniors, DB will no longer be able to brag about beating small time, cup cake county schools(Wording of some DB fans) They will have to REALLY earn their bragging rights.

The people inside the city of Kingsport city limits have always paid county taxes that have helped support all county schools. The people inside the Kingsport city limits helped build West Ridge High School. Anyone who sent their kids to Dobyns Bennett or any school within the city limits did so by their own choice. That's always been the case and will continue to be the case moving forward. There have been kids that lived inside the city that have gone to county schools. It was their choice. You can disagree with city leaders ( I don't agree with much of what they do either) but from what I can see the county leaders are no better. Maybe West Ridge beats DB Friday night, doesn't mean squat for the future. I think North beat DB in their first year. Seems like I remember a lot of people over in Bloomingdale crowing that DB's dominance was over. They never beat DB again. ......Just sayin'

• Upvote 1

We can probably all agree that the big city schools generally win over the smaller county schools.   And they should, they have more money, resources, students, facilities, etc.    They can afford to hire the top coaches (although that doesn't always happen due to the GOB system in a lot of places).      Not sure of exact numbers, but WR is probably close to the size of DB in terms of # students.   More students means a higher percentage of good athletes from which to choose.   Over time there may be way more parity between WR, DB and SH.     But for this week's game, I'm still going with DB.   WR has to prove they can play a complete game and put it all together.     Pulling for the Wolves but just don't see them winning this one.

I married into the Tribe and will be pulling for the wife and kids school in this one .I use to pull for them against my own school but there was a pretty good reason. I like the coaches and remember a couple that played with one of my Indians.I really appreciate a few of those coaches that worked with both my Indians in multiple sports.Still, when they play the Devils this time around, I hope they have a great game plan and DB does well but I have to wear Greeneville Green.Roll Tribe

I dont think WR can do it after seeing them against SH. I see the game being similar where they hang around for a half then DB ends up pulling away in the second half. I dont think WR throws the ball enough for teams not to crowd the box and bottle up the run. Also, against SH WR had a lot of kids playing two ways, in the second half, mainly their WR were DB's.

17 hours ago, blazer1set said:

We can probably all agree that the big city schools generally win over the smaller county schools.   And they should, they have more money, resources, students, facilities, etc.    They can afford to hire the top coaches (although that doesn't always happen due to the GOB system in a lot of places).      Not sure of exact numbers, but WR is probably close to the size of DB in terms of # students.   More students means a higher percentage of good athletes from which to choose.   Over time there may be way more parity between WR, DB and SH.     But for this week's game, I'm still going with DB.   WR has to prove they can play a complete game and put it all together.     Pulling for the Wolves but just don't see them winning this one.

WR originally projected 1400 but as of first day they were around 2100 and will probably keep going up

2 hours ago, EHSTrack06 said:

WR originally projected 1400 but as of first day they were around 2100 and will probably keep going up

I never could figure the 1400 number. It defied basic 3rd grade math. Then they blame the TSSAA for scheduling issues when they got moved up. But it’s all good now and they seem to be doing a relatively good job at WR.

36 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

I never could figure the 1400 number. It defied basic 3rd grade math. Then they blame the TSSAA for scheduling issues when they got moved up. But it’s all good now and they seem to be doing a relatively good job at WR.

I've always been able to spell at or below a third grade level but corrected my 2nd grade teacher on a math problem.She may have been the one who came up with those numbers. Maybe someone thought a bunch of students would go to DB ,TH or other places instead of West Ridge.When you talk to a lot of former North,South, Central players  or parents, you should probably figure most of their kids will stay in the county system.It's pretty much like a lot of Greene county folks were about sending their kids to Greeneville way back when I was growing up.My coach at SunnySide ask how many would go to South Greene if he went to coach there,only one didn't raise their hand.He tried to recruit me to West Greene after I got burnt out on football and stuck with baseball for the Devils.

19 hours ago, KPTwrestlingfan said:

I dont think WR can do it after seeing them against SH. I see the game being similar where they hang around for a half then DB ends up pulling away in the second half. I dont think WR throws the ball enough for teams not to crowd the box and bottle up the run. Also, against SH WR had a lot of kids playing two ways, in the second half, mainly their WR were DB's.

I agree that WR doesn't throw alot whether by choice or forced. For WR to have a chance, they cannot come into J. Fred "starry eyed", they must play mistake free and control the LoS. They must also finish drives in the red zone. Praying for a great game with no injuries!!!!

26 minutes ago, 83SouthRebel said:

I agree that WR doesn't throw alot whether by choice or forced. For WR to have a chance, they cannot come into J. Fred "starry eyed", they must play mistake free and control the LoS. They must also finish drives in the red zone. Praying for a great game with no injuries!!!!

Always my first hope in a football game is that all the young men come out injury free.The one thing that I always hated more then a cowbell is a fan for any team in a crowd who cheers when they see a player down.

44 minutes ago, 83SouthRebel said:

DB is way better than most people thought they would be so as you say it will take a complete effort in order for WR to win.  Pulling for you guys

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

DB is way better than most people thought they would be so as you say it will take a complete effort in order for WR to win.  Pulling for you guys

You're trying to set this up for a big upset. No DB is not way better than most people thought. Their pretty much right where people thought they'd be. After graduating 30+ players last year their in rebuilding mode. Their undefeated at this point because the teams they have played have not been very good. I don't think anybody can look at any game DB has played so far and say they played really well. I expect West Ridge will come in fired up and ready to prove themselves. It's just rare to see any DB team come out on the field and look fired up. They look the same every time. Throw in the ton of mistakes that are already built in so that part of the game will go in WR's favor. The most interesting part will be in the trenches. DB started the season with a bunch of inexperienced lineman but last week they did a pretty good job against a pretty good DC team. They say WR likes to play smash mouth so it will be a good test for DB. I'm thinking WR takes a early lead and DB comes back late to win it. A total guess.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

You're trying to set this up for a big upset. No DB is not way better than most people thought. Their pretty much right where people thought they'd be. After graduating 30+ players last year their in rebuilding mode. Their undefeated at this point because the teams they have played have not been very good. I don't think anybody can look at any game DB has played so far and say they played really well. I expect West Ridge will come in fired up and ready to prove themselves. It's just rare to see any DB team come out on the field and look fired up. They look the same every time. Throw in the ton of mistakes that are already built in so that part of the game will go in WR's favor. The most interesting part will be in the trenches. DB started the season with a bunch of inexperienced lineman but last week they did a pretty good job against a pretty good DC team. They say WR likes to play smash mouth so it will be a good test for DB. I'm thinking WR takes a early lead and DB comes back late to win it. A total guess.

That sounds about right, WR really put it to the Hill early on but just could not cash in inside the 20 several times.     Even though DB has played weaker competition thus far they still look better than I thought they would be.     This should be a very exciting game to watch, wish I could see it