Sycamore Middle Coaching: A Disgrace to Young Men

Gtowner

14 hours ago, Gtowner said:

Tonight, I watched the poorest example of sportsmanship by a "leader" of young men i have ever witnessed. Westmoreland Middle was up on Sycamore 24-0 at halftime. Sycamore's head coach requested to forgo the second half, however, the Westmoreland staff did not agree due to an opportunity to play the younger kids. This coach had his offense kneel on every play in the second half. Its bad enough to tell 12 and 13 year old boys to go out on the field and quit, but what happened next was inexcusable. At the end of the game, the teams lined up to shake hands, when the Sycamore coach yelled for his team to return to the sideline and turned his back to the Westmoreland team. Refusing to allow his young men the opportunity to display sportsmanship. This man is a disgrace to the sport but moreover a disgrace to the young men he represents. The TSSAA does its best to promote sportsmanship with pregame meetings and announcements to the fans to conduct themselves in a positive manner. I truly hope TSSAA takes notice of this disgusting display of disrespect and takes action to eliminate the possibility of this coach using this platform to promote malice in the future. 

TSSAA has nothing to do with this at all. They do not govern middle school sports.  Nor do they govern sportsmanship. Otherwise you would not have 87-0 high school scores.

That is a Sycamore Middle School situation.

Extremely petty look on the coach. If you don’t want to play then go home. Nobody was holding a gun to their head. Hate it for the kids. Even if you have injuries... I’ve coached 7/8 grade for a long time and have played with as few as 18. I coached 5/6 graders years ago and had 13 my first year ever coaching. You can make it work if you plan for it. Just saying..

22 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Not a TSSAA problem. Whomever he answers directly to, (coach/Principal) and ultimately the Director of Schools needs to investigate. If I had a kid playing for this guy, someone would find out why this took place. It's not about a ballgame...it's about setting an example.

From what I’ve heard about Cheatham county Director and school board, they’re not to much into football. They’re high school programs have all been on the decline due to lack of support form the board and super…..so my point is they probably won’t care about a middle school game even though this situation should be addressed.  

On 9/24/2021 at 5:30 PM, Ballfan4562 said:

Extremely petty look on the coach. If you don’t want to play then go home. Nobody was holding a gun to their head. Hate it for the kids. Even if you have injuries... I’ve coached 7/8 grade for a long time and have played with as few as 18. I coached 5/6 graders years ago and had 13 my first year ever coaching. You can make it work if you plan for it. Just saying..

Sycamore has 15 kids on the team both if their qbs were injured during the game. Sycamores coach attempted to forfeit at halftime. Westmoreland declined. Sycamore too a knee every play in the second half while Westmoreland continued to run up the score. I would say its more of a bad look on Westmoreland that Sycamore.

1 hour ago, TripleO said:

Sycamore has 15 kids on the team both if their qbs were injured during the game. Sycamores coach attempted to forfeit at halftime. Westmoreland declined. Sycamore too a knee every play in the second half while Westmoreland continued to run up the score. I would say its more of a bad look on Westmoreland that Sycamore.

Your joking right?!

On 9/24/2021 at 11:16 AM, MichaelMyers76 said:

TSSAA has nothing to do with this at all. They do not govern middle school sports.  Nor do they govern sportsmanship. Otherwise you would not have 87-0 high school scores.

That is a Sycamore Middle School situation.

I have no input on the general tenor of this thread, but your statement is incorrect. TSSAA has an affiliated TMSAA division that does deal with middle schools. Here’s a link:

https://tmsaa.tssaa.org/about-tmsaa

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Greendevil87 said:

The part I don't understand is how they refused him at halftime. If you don't want to play you get on the bus and go home how could they have stopped them from forfeiting that's impossible you can't make someone play if they don't want to

I wonder that too.  If you don’t want to play, don’t take the field