Week 8- Oak Ridge @ Greenville

CardinalGrey

11 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Good show. Enjoyed listening to KJ and WR. Good kids. G-Man sounds confident that the offense is gonna improve quite a bit from now till the start of the playoffs. He’s forgotten more football than I’ll ever know, so I trust him at his word. Gonna be tough to see much improvement this week though.

I agree with you about this game. I'm not it matters this week if the offense improves or not...I expect a beatdown but I would love to see some improvement anyway. 

10 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Yes, I respect that. He laid all the blame on himself, which is the stand up thing to do. He knows that ultimately the success of the team lays at his feet. I have a lot of respect for Joe. He’s a good man.

I was a little surprised he took that position of accepting all of the blame. I liked that he did, but I doubt a lot of head coaches would do that. I hope his optimism is accurate

3 minutes ago, catswild said:

I was a little surprised he took that position of accepting all of the blame. I liked that he did, but I doubt a lot of head coaches would do that. I hope his optimism is accurate

Who else would the blame be on? I personally think that the majority of HC’s would take the blame.

47 minutes ago, FilmCzar said:

Because the offense has been absolutely underwhelming and lathargic.

Underwhelming is being too kind.  But It's hard to run any offense when there is zero run blocking and zero pass protection.  Plus, I have watched Ellison call plays at two previous stops.  We were running his stuff in game 1 and 2.  Since then, we went back to the same old same old, trying to run off tackle and run pass plays that take way too long to develop downfield.  So, I'm not sure how much of the offense (game plan and play calling)  Ellison was actually being allowed to control.   Funny thing is, now that he's been fired, the offense is going back to the stuff they did in week 1 and 2, lots of movement and quick passes, which is exactly the same stuff Rodney wanted to do from the beginning.  Strange situation all around.   

Edited by oridgecat
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oridgecat said:

Underwhelming is being too kind.  But It's hard to run any offense when there is zero run blocking and zero pass protection.  Plus, I have watched Ellison call plays at two previous stops.  We were running his stuff in game 1 and 2.  Since then, we went back to the same old same old, trying to run off tackle and run pass plays that take way too long to develop downfield.  So, I'm not sure how much of the offense (game plan and play calling)  Ellison was actually being allowed to control.   Funny thing is, now that he's been fired, the offense is going back to the stuff they did in week 1 and 2, lots of movement and quick passes.   Strange situation all around.   

How was it impactful in Week 1 & Week 2? Didn't we lose to South Doyle and Bearden?

10 minutes ago, FilmCzar said:

How was it impactful in Week 1 & Week 2? Didn't we lose to South Doyle and Bearden?

I never said anything about impactful.  It was refreshing to see us at least trying to get the ball out into our playmakers in space.  It wasn't executed very well, but I liked what we were trying to do on offense.   I'm talking about how the offensive approach changed after week 2, now we fired the guy and we are going right back to what he wanted to do run from the get go.  It seems like a panic move to me.  And if you have watched OR play, do you think this o-line is going to all of the sudden be good at blocking?  I'm afraid at this point it is what it is, and it don't matter what we try to run.  

And another question.  We have so many guys playing both ways, why in the world wouldn't you let 33 and 38 play on offense?  Those two guys will get done whatever it is that you ask them to do and they are probably in the best conditioning shape than anybody on the team.  

Edited by oridgecat

4 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

I never said anything about impactful.  It was refreshing to see us at least trying to get the ball out into our playmakers in space.  It wasn't executed very well, but I liked what we were trying to do on offense.   I'm talking about how the offensive approach changed after week 2, now we fired the guy and we are going right back to what he wanted to do run from the get go.  It seems like a panic move to me.  And if you have watched OR play, do you think this o-line is going to all of the sudden be good at blocking?  I'm afraid at this point it is what it is, and it don't matter what we try to run.  

And another question.  We have so many guys playing both ways, why in the world wouldn't you let 33 and 38 play on offense?  Those two guys will get done whatever it is that you ask them to do and they are probably in the best conditioning shape than anybody on the team.  

I agree that Rodney was trying to get the ball in the athletes hands. JG is just too old school schematically. We wasted Tee as well, IMO. Now he has 1, 7, 13 and can't get them the ball. 33 & 38 should absolutely be playing on offense. 38 is an all-state linebacker that could be killing it on offense. Ultimately, the troubles are too systemic and will require a leadership change for anything meaningful to take place. Start there, then get the strength and conditioning dept fixed and we may have something... before the athletes start going elsewhere then we will be Clinton Sr. 

Just now, FilmCzar said:

I agree that Rodney was trying to get the ball in the athletes hands. JG is just too old school schematically. We wasted Tee as well, IMO. Now he has 1, 7, 13 and can't get them the ball. 33 & 38 should absolutely be playing on offense. 38 is an all-state linebacker that could be killing it on offense. Ultimately, the troubles are too systemic and will require a leadership change for anything meaningful to take place. Start there, then get the strength and conditioning dept fixed and we may have something... before the athletes start going elsewhere then we will be Clinton Sr. 

Exactly, Spot on brother.  Could not agree more.