Recruiting... the good, the bad & the ugly

blazer1set

goes back to what Urban Meyer said . “‘Do I have to go to this camp?’ No. I’ve got a better idea. Go become your high school coach’s best player, so when our staff goes to the high school, guess what the high school coach tells us? 

If your child isn't the best player then half the battle is decided. Spend your money how you want, but you know if your kid is the best on the team or at least in the conversation. Invest wisely. 

5 minutes ago, strongx said:

Carson Newman was about $25k and that was 7 yrs ago. I’m not sure if that included any food or not. 

Not to get too far off topic, but there is a big $$$ difference between a private college and a public university. I don't know how most families are even capable of forking over the cash to send their kid to a private college (out-of-pocket), especially when that is going to put them in a 6-figure hole when they get out (why would anyone choose to do that??). There are VERY few career paths that could ever get you out of that debt.

2 hours ago, strongx said:

I agree with you guys about the ridiculousness of it, BUT have you noticed the price of college these days? To spend 5 grand to find someone who might help your kid get a paid education that could be worth 20-30 times that isn’t that crazy. IMO the cost of college has fueled these dream makers.

The cost of higher education is indeed expensive.. but the percentage of high school athletes playing college football is very low like what 5%??? And full ride scholarships are rare, saved for the elite performers  and those colleges below D1 have even less to distribute per NCAA rules. It would seem just as important to concentrate on their ACT scores.  Hard to supplement athletic money with academic scholarships when the student athlete has a 15 ACT just my opinion.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AskingForAFriend said:

The cost of higher education is indeed expensive.. but the percentage of high school athletes playing college football is very low like what 5%??? And full ride scholarships are rare, saved for the elite performers  and those colleges below D1 have even less to distribute per NCAA rules. It would seem just as important to concentrate on their ACT scores.  Hard to supplement athletic money with academic scholarships when the student athlete has a 15 ACT just my opinion.  

Good post. I would add that another “waste of money” are these classes to help your ACT. My oldest improved his score by four points when he took it. State school (UTK) offered him zero dollars for that 27 ACT score he ended up with. You need over a 30 or 31 these days. IMO All of these groups are just preying  on parents who are faced with a huge cost to send their kids off to college.

14 minutes ago, strongx said:

Good post. I would add that another “waste of money” are these classes to help your ACT. My oldest improved his score by four points when he took it. State school (UTK) offered him zero dollars for that 27 ACT score he ended up with. You need over a 30 or 31 these days. IMO All of these groups are just preying  on parents who are faced with a huge cost to send their kids off to college.

i just helped my nephew with these scholarship applications.  He needed a 28 to get money at UTK (3000/Year).  Same score got him more 4000/year at tech.

7 minutes ago, strongx said:

Excellent point   Lots of money being made off dreams of playing college football.  And the greatest percentage going to someone other than the athletes or their families.   Had an associate tell me he could have paid for his sons college TWICE if he added up all the camps, private lessons, recruiting services, private trainer, etc etc etc.  said it started in 8th grade.  But didn’t end up like they hoped  Yikes!!!!   But hey, spend your money on whatever you choose.  If that makes you and your athlete happy I wish them all the best.  Just make sure it’s the KIDS dream????

42 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Not to get too far off topic, but there is a big $$$ difference between a private college and a public university. I don't know how most families are even capable of forking over the cash to send their kid to a private college (out-of-pocket), especially when that is going to put them in a 6-figure hole when they get out (why would anyone choose to do that??). There are VERY few career paths that could ever get you out of that debt.

Another excellent point.   Gotta consider earning potential when you take on that kind of debt.  

3 minutes ago, AskingForAFriend said:

Another excellent point.   Gotta consider earning potential when you take on that kind of debt.  

Agreed. Heck, how many 18-year olds legitimately know what they want to do for a living? Not very many. So you choose to take on that debt, but you have no clue what your earning potential is going to be. Or if you'll be able to out-earn what you have to pay back. Great plan.

I just find it interesting that so many parents blindly throw gobs of money down this well (or assume tons of debt), without any idea of the potential payoff. Personally, assuming my kid(s) doesn't know what they plan to do for a living, I'm not willing to spend $100k+ on their post-secondary education. Unless scholarships come into play, they can take advantage of TN Promise for 2 years (free), and then step up to the appropriate institution for the remainder. Hopefully by then they'll have matured a bit and have a better idea of what career path they're prepared to take (including earning potential).