Recruiting... the good, the bad & the ugly

blazer1set

Very true, osunut2, so true.  Very similar to paying a company to promote you to college coaches. Sure they may know a couple, but you can load your hudl highlights, and recruiting coaches emails are available to you like they are to these companies. I am sure there are some very reputable people in the business. Just do your research, talk to former players who used them, etc. colleges pay people to go in search of athletes.  Texting or tweeting about your kid to a coaches public Twitter account can be done by you for free. 

4 hours ago, strongx said:

I agree with you guys about the ridiculousness of it, BUT have you noticed the price of college these days? To spend 5 grand to find someone who might help your kid get a paid education that could be worth 20-30 times that isn’t that crazy. IMO the cost of college has fueled these dream makers.

Disagree. Those kids with the God given physical ability to get full rides aren't going to be missed.  

The parents spending big bucks are the ones whose kids are going to end up getting small partials at lower level colleges, most of them overpriced liberal arts schools who are going to use student loans as part of the "financial package".  And the kids, and many of the parents, don't think about the fact that those loans will accrue and be such a burden once the kid graduates, if he graduates, and will have to be paid back.  All they think about is that their kid is going to "play college sports', which is fine, but more times than not it's not worth the financial burden it puts on the kids later in life.  And those loans do have to be paid back and should be.  

Parents would be better off putting that money they are spending on "recruiting services" in the bank towards future education costs, IMO.  

And as I said previously, unless one is a D1 prospect young people can get far more scholarship money though academics than they can through athletics.  That's where the priorities should be.  

And going further, in this state the Tennessee Promise will pay the cost of virtually all of the first two years of college.  That's just a no brainer and completely cuts half of the cost of a college education off completely.  

Edited by HTV

2 hours ago, strongx said:

Carson Newman was about $25k and that was 7 yrs ago. I’m not sure if that included any food or not. 

That's over $40K now, and going up every year.  

And that's similar to most of the other private liberal arts colleges in the region.  

Carson Newman College - Net Price, Tuition, Cost to Attend, Financial Aid and Student Loans (collegesimply.com)

HTV I am in total agreement.  The D1 power 5 athletes are going to be found. Just like my friend said “I could have paid for college TWICE on the money spent on training and marketing my son”.  Wonder how many players who go to these private lower level schools with negligible scholarship help are even there in year 2. Let alone graduate with a degree.  I know many do and enjoy playing college ball but how many are in debt and without benefit of degree.  Just my opinion 

I’ll agree that a majority of the D1 power 5 athletes will be found regardless. The paid help is not needed for most of these kids, but I suspect even some of them might benefit from some assistance from well connected people. 

However, most of the other kids at non-power 5 D1’s and D2’s are not always found regardless of where they are. We all know guys that were never found and never had the help to be found. IMO their HS coaches should provide them and their parents the guidance about what level they might play at, if any. Those same coaches should make some calls and try to help the kids instead of saying we don’t know anybody and you are on your own.

Anyway, it’s hard for me to blame parents for trying to do what they can to help their kid. If they don’t, who will?

1 minute ago, strongx said:

I’ll agree that a majority of the D1 power 5 athletes will be found regardless. The paid help is not needed for most of these kids, but I suspect even some of them might benefit from some assistance from well connected people. 

However, most of the other kids at non-power 5 D1’s and D2’s are not always found regardless of where they are. We all know guys that were never found and never had the help to be found. IMO their HS coaches should provide them and their parents the guidance about what level they might play at, if any. Those same coaches should make some calls and try to help the kids instead of saying we don’t know anybody and you are on your own.

Anyway, it’s hard for me to blame parents for trying to do what they can to help their kid. If they don’t, who will?

Understand your position, but I don't know one high school coach who hasn't been willing to help kids find places to play if they wanted help finding that.  Fortunately, most of those coaches are also honest with the kids and parents about the potential level they can legitimately compete at, too.  Sometimes the parents and kids just don't listen or see reality, and those are the ones the sharks take advantage of.  

2 minutes ago, HTV said:

Understand your position, but I don't know one high school coach who hasn't been willing to help kids find places to play if they wanted help finding that.  Fortunately, most of those coaches are also honest with the kids and parents about the potential level they can legitimately compete at, too.  Sometimes the parents and kids just don't listen or see reality, and those are the ones the sharks take advantage of.  

Let’s agree! Good discussion!

4 minutes ago, strongx said:

The Top 1%-5% kids are not hard to find. I blame parents for either being naïve or not understanding their kids athletic ability. In today's world, you can be seen and have access at your fingertips.  I agree that coaches need to provide guidance in regards to setting expectations and helping out.  In todays world you can be seen with your phone, email and a twitter account. Not the case 20 plus years ago. 

The last line sticks out, sometimes the parents want it more than the kids. If a kid wants it, they'll be their best recruiter. They will be their best trainer. 

TSSAA pretty much promotes recruiting starting at the end of the kids 8th grade year if you read it they basically say there that you are a free agent. They turn their heads as long as you have your i's dotted and T's crossed. Some of these coaches have just built strong relationships with kids from camps and other walks of life and if they are a dominate program the kids will show up at the door steps. 

3 hours ago, AskingForAFriend said:

Excellent point   Lots of money being made off dreams of playing college football.  And the greatest percentage going to someone other than the athletes or their families.   Had an associate tell me he could have paid for his sons college TWICE if he added up all the camps, private lessons, recruiting services, private trainer, etc etc etc.  said it started in 8th grade.  But didn’t end up like they hoped  Yikes!!!!   But hey, spend your money on whatever you choose.  If that makes you and your athlete happy I wish them all the best.  Just make sure it’s the KIDS dream????

I'm a capitalist, but a good portion of those playing in college were given God given talent and blessed with good genes. Only so much a trainer can get out of you, only so much a recruiter can say. Always exceptions but majority are paying for mortgages and keeping the facility lights on. I agree, spend your money how you want. But I saw way too many kids pay recruiting services to end up D2,D3 or NAIA. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

I'm a capitalist, but a good portion of those playing in college were given God given talent and blessed with good genes. Only so much a trainer can get out of you, only so much a recruiter can say. Always exceptions but majority are paying for mortgages and keeping the facility lights on. I agree, spend your money how you want. But I saw way too many kids pay recruiting services to end up D2,D3 or NAIA. 

some of those programs still offer decent money for the right kids, but not near as much overall.