Bearden @ Farragut

edwardblake

16 hours ago, thefox said:

By 1860, slaves comprised 22% of Knoxville's population, which was higher than the percentage across East Tennessee (approximately 10%) but lower than the rest of the South (about one-third).

C. E. Allred, et al., "Farming From the Beginning to 1860," The French Broad-Holston Country: A History of Knox County, Tennessee (Knoxville, Tenn.: East Tennessee Historical Society, 1972).

P.S. your antebellum era historical interpretation could be taken more seriously if your handle wasn’t  “red rebel”. 

Read my Twitter page for some history on why we are called the Rebels. You seem to like some facts. Do you pick and choose?

Edited by Red Rebels

17 hours ago, Bluegreymom said:

I asked my son if he knew anything (he plays for Farragut) and he said that the center/LS had complained multiple times about Bearden’s defense throwing/tossing/swiping the little “turf turds” in his face, presumably hoping to get it in his eyes. He complained to the refs who told him that they can’t call it unless they see it but that they would look out for it going forward. It continued and finally on that last play at the end, the ref saw it with his own eyes and called it as an unsportsmanlike. 
Bear in mind that this is info coming to me third party so take with a grain of salt and in a rivalry like Bearden:Farragut, I’m sure both sides have their own take on it. I know that many at Farragut were upset with what they considered dirty play from Bearden’s defense all night especially towards #15 for Farragut. I’m equally sure that if you ask the Bearden folks they would also have their own list of complaints and things they didn’t feel were fair. It’s a big rivalry and the stakes are rarely higher than they were that night. 
I feel like if Bearden got called for something  they legit didn’t do, that’s a tough pill to swallow  and I’d be upset too. On the other hand, if someone on their end was attempting to swipe turf bits in the LS face and got called for it, oh well, don’t do the crime of you can’t afford the penalty.  

For what it’s worth, I know Farragut’s LS to be a really respectful and awesome kid and I don’t think he would make things up. On the other hand, the kid for Bearden who I’ve heard the penalty was called on is extended family to me and I also know him to be a really awesome kiddo and can’t really see him doing that either so…I don’t know…

It is difficult to get enough of the rubber pellets in your hand to throw at someone from my experience on the turf.  I watched closely on Diamond Clear and the player accused of throwing pellets is waving his hands to the crowd with open palms moments before he gets down in a stance and the penalty is called.  Did not see any motion with his hands while in his stance that would indicate a toss or throw of any kind.  Ref just throws the flag.  None of the linemen moved their hands before he threw the flag.  It is possible they threw stuff at the snapper earlier in the game, but not at the time the flag was thrown.  You can clearly see a Farragut coach motioning a toss action to the refs right before the end of the 3rd timeout less than 30 seconds before the ref throws the flag.  Go watch for yourself. 

1 hour ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

It is difficult to get enough of the rubber pellets in your hand to throw at someone from my experience on the turf.  I watched closely on Diamond Clear and the player accused of throwing pellets is waving his hands to the crowd with open palms moments before he gets down in a stance and the penalty is called.  Did not see any motion with his hands while in his stance that would indicate a toss or throw of any kind.  Ref just throws the flag.  None of the linemen moved their hands before he threw the flag.  It is possible they threw stuff at the snapper earlier in the game, but not at the time the flag was thrown.  You can clearly see a Farragut coach motioning a toss action to the refs right before the end of the 3rd timeout less than 30 seconds before the ref throws the flag.  Go watch for yourself. 

He's not throwing them.  #14 looks like he's dragging his left hand on the ground right in front of the snapper's face.  It causes the pellets to kick up a couple feet.  I went and watched after you said it.  He did it all three times they set up.  

17 minutes ago, RedFred said:

He's not throwing them.  #14 looks like he's dragging his left hand on the ground right in front of the snapper's face.  It causes the pellets to kick up a couple feet.  I went and watched after you said it.  He did it all three times they set up.  

Those pellets do not fly up more than a few inches when you swipe your hand on the turf.  D-Linemen shift their hands all the time on that turf with no penalty

Just now, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

Those pellets do not fly up more than a few inches when you swipe your hand on the turf.  D-Linemen shift their hands all the time on that turf with no penalty

Then I guess the question is whether or not the linemen were doing it on purpose, with the intent to distract the snapper.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

Look, I don't care one way or another who won.  I couldn't care less about them schools.  But if you press down, you can get the turf pebbles to kick up pretty high.  That's all i'm sayin.

Just now, RedFred said:

Look, I don't care one way or another who won.  I couldn't care less about them schools.  But if you press down, you can get the turf pebbles to kick up pretty high.  That's all i'm sayin.

We can disagree on how high they kick up, but do you think that a few rubber pellets should play a role in who wins a loses a game?  

3 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Then I guess the question is whether or not the linemen were doing it on purpose, with the intent to distract the snapper.

Great question.  All Knox Co. fields have turf.  I bet pellets fly before every snap when d-line shifts happen.  Usually in an odd instance like this the referees warn the players before calling a penalty.  I wonder if that happened during the game

13 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

It happened, according to one of the game officials.  The same player had done it a couple of times earlier in the game, and the Farragut coaches called it to the official's attention.  The kid went to the well one time too often and got caught on the field goal attempt.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

We can disagree on how high they kick up, but do you think that a few rubber pellets should play a role in who wins a loses a game?  

Great question.  All Knox Co. fields have turf.  I bet pellets fly before every snap when d-line shifts happen.  Usually in an odd instance like this the referees warn the players before calling a penalty.  I wonder if that happened during the game

I don't disagree that a warning would have been better.  But Bearden had already gotten a break before that.  The False start against Farragut at 1:24 should have gone against Bearden #14 too.  I guess Karma just balanced out.  

1 hour ago, RedFred said:

For that matter, they could have given it to him for trash-talking the kicker too.  I'd imagine this was just the final straw.

I am not going to get into all of the other faults of both the players/officials for both teams during the game.  The fact remains that the officials influenced who won that game with the arbitrary penalty at the end

2 minutes ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

I am not going to get into all of the other faults of both the players/officials for both teams during the game.  The fact remains that the officials influenced who won that game with the arbitrary penalty at the end

that's just what I saw when I went to diamondclear and watched the last two minutes.  I agree.  aint no thing.