1A and 2A FAVORITES FOR THE CHOO CHOO BOWL

footballover

24 minutes ago, Archiewho said:

McKenzie was the second best team in the state last year behind Trenton in 2A…..by a razor thin margin (could have easily went the other way in their Quarterfinal game).  With them returning the majority of that team, they are no doubt stronger this year than last and a favorite to get to Chattanooga along with Trenton and Fayetteville

At the beginning of the year, I was concerned about our defense.  But as the year has gone, regardless of the teams we are playing, I can see we have gotten better each week.  You can just see they are playing their responsibilities way more consistent than we were at in the first few weeks. 

The good news is, we only have 6 seniors on this years team. 

49 minutes ago, VOLnWTN said:

Yeah...I would say McKenzie struggled with Dresden. Let's not forget the 4 touchdowns taken off the board by penalties. But, that is part of the game. 

image.png.4cb745f1e5b8cd2b5b3c89223463cef7.png

Dresden’s dline and linebackers were in the back field all night. Your gains were big plays off the edge. If Dresden’s qb had a better arm you guys were beat several times. I’m thinking the Dresden dline beating the oline caused some of the holding penalties 

2 hours ago, VOLnWTN said:

At the beginning of the year, I was concerned about our defense.  But as the year has gone, regardless of the teams we are playing, I can see we have gotten better each week.  You can just see they are playing their responsibilities way more consistent than we were at in the first few weeks. 

The good news is, we only have 6 seniors on this years team. 

Depending on which positions those 6 play, I would suspect you guys will be the favorite to win it next year then, if not this year too of course.  

2 hours ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

Depending on which positions those 6 play, I would suspect you guys will be the favorite to win it next year then, if not this year too of course.  

The biggest of the 6 will be 3 offensive lineman. But, one of them shouldn't even be playing on the line but had to due to an injury to a junior offensive lineman who will be back. 

We still have 4 lineman returning who have gotten a lot of playing time this year and the entire backfield is back.  There is one offensive lineman coming up from the middle school who I think may be capable of playing some next year if Comer wants to go that route with a freshman. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VOLnWTN said:

The biggest of the 6 will be 3 offensive lineman. But, one of them shouldn't even be playing on the line but had to due to an injury to a junior offensive lineman who will be back. 

We still have 4 lineman returning who have gotten a lot of playing time this year and the entire backfield is back.  There is one offensive lineman coming up from the middle school who I think may be capable of playing some next year if Comer wants to go that route with a freshman. 

Coach Comer had a famous line in 2007 when they showed a closeup of him at state. He said,”What’s going on?” Nobody else could stop that machine that year either. Crazy talent 

Edited by powerp

6 minutes ago, powerp said:

Coach Comer had a famous line in 2007 when they showed a closeup of him at state. He said,”What’s going on?” Nobody else could stop that machine that year either. Crazy talent 

I told someone the other day that the Titans could not have beaten that 07 SP team.  They were a freaking machine! I "taped" that game and went back and watched after we got home.  When I watched Cory Ellis for us (a monster of an line and strong as an ox) get blown off the ball, I told my wife, we had no chance from the get go if they are doing that to Cory. 

41 minutes ago, REBFAN07 said:

Freshman coming next year?? Have you noticed our freshman this year? Crazy talented!! Big on line a fast as a hicup in backfield. Not to mention the quarterback position will probably rewrite the record book for mckenzie

Agree. Our freshman this year are salty. Those freshman lineman will get tons of playing time next year as long as they continue to develop.  The backs are still another year out with Taylor, McCreary, and Tharpe being juniors.  I could see Brewer or Norden playing a lot on defense next year.  Those two kids are tough as nails.  And when Surber gets healthy, it will be the best QB competition we have ever seen at McKenzie. 

Just now, VOLnWTN said:

Agree. Our freshman this year are salty. Those freshman lineman will get tons of playing time next year as long as they continue to develop.  The backs are still another year out with Taylor, McCreary, and Tharpe being juniors.  I could see Brewer or Norden playing a lot on defense next year.  Those two kids are tough as nails.  And when Surber gets healthy, it will be the best QB competition we have ever seen at McKenzie. 

And the other factor….how many of them stay out after freshman year.  We always have a drop off from 9th to 10th grade. 

I told someone the other day that the Titans could not have beaten that 07 SP team.  They were a freaking machine! I "taped" that game and went back and watched after we got home.  When I watched Cory Ellis for us (a monster of an line and strong as an ox) get blown off the ball, I told my wife, we had no chance from the get go if they are doing that to Cory. 

A lot  of people look at the final score and think that McKenzie team wasn’t any good. That’s far from the truth. That was a quality ball club.