5A Playoffs R7 vs R8

brian2000

3 hours ago, Chargercats said:

Gotcha! A train! Dang! i hate that!! 

Portland was an awesome team! Covington was loaded that year and couldn't do anything. 

Portland was stacked with dudes then. Kelly Holmes , Chase Brooks. I played against them in 99 season and they manhandled us. Roger Perry had that program rolling. 

4 hours ago, Chargercats said:

Gotcha! A train! Dang! i hate that!! 

Portland was an awesome team! Covington was loaded that year and couldn't do anything. 

Gerald wasnt a part of the state championship team in 2000. He was offensive MVP as a Sr in 99 title game 14-13 loss to Milan. He had went to a juco in KS and was going to Univ of Nebraska in the fall on scholarship when he was headed home on spring break, went to sleep and hit a semi head on. Chase Brroks and Luke Dunbar were stud LB'ers (both won Mr Football). No players on 2000 P-town team played major college ball. Info courtesy of my friend who played there from 98-01.

40 minutes ago, FargoStrut said:

Gerald wasnt a part of the state championship team in 2000. He was offensive MVP as a Sr in 99 title game 14-13 loss to Milan. He had went to a juco in KS and was going to Univ of Nebraska in the fall on scholarship when he was headed home on spring break, went to sleep and hit a semi head on. Chase Brroks and Luke Dunbar were stud LB'ers (both won Mr Football). No players on 2000 P-town team played major college ball. Info courtesy of my friend who played there from 98-01.

I knew them dudes were right there late 90s early 00s. I couldn’t remember when they graduated. I remember reading about Turner’s death in a newspaper then and I was shocked.... being the same age at the time.

47 minutes ago, FargoStrut said:

What was so impressive was that Portland had 5 Mr. Football winners in a four year span. Kelly Holmes and Gerald Turner in 98, Luke in 1999, Chase Brooks in 2000, and Josh Bolton in 2001. I can’t remember any school having a run like that. 

6 hours ago, Poundtherock23 said:

What was so impressive was that Portland had 5 Mr. Football winners in a four year span. Kelly Holmes and Gerald Turner in 98, Luke in 1999, Chase Brooks in 2000, and Josh Bolton in 2001. I can’t remember any school having a run like that. 

I remember those boys very well. Four Defensive Mr. Football's in a row, along with the one Offensive award in Gerald. Gerald was a close friend to my son-in-law. Chase worked for me for a little while when he was in high school. And Luke is currently in my Fantasy Football League. Great bunch of young men and the loss of Gerald was truly a tragedy. Look him up on You Tube and you'll see just how good he was. I miss those days.  B)

Edited by PPride
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PPride said:

I remember those boys very well. Four Defensive Mr. Football's in a row, along with the one Offensive award in Gerald. Gerald was a close friend to my son-in-law. Chase worked for me for a little while when he was in high school. And Luke is currently in my Fantasy Football League. Great bunch of young men and the loss of Gerald was truly a tragedy. Look him up on You Tube and you'll see just how good he was. I miss those days.  B)

Thanks for the info guys!! I was browsing through some history of the playoffs and thought about that team and remembered how dominate the portland team was. They seemed to have team determination to go with their talent. Covington was stacked that year as well and we (fans) thought we were going to at least compete. Boy were we wrong! We all new after the first couple minutes the game was over! Wish i could watch it again! lol