Potter out at HVA

HTV

2 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

You can't just switch people around.  Now days a teacher/coach has to have the state certification/endorsement for the class that they teach.  So, if a coach coming in has a science endorsement, they have to teach science.  The admin can create another science position for that coach if they want, but they can't ask an existing science teacher to resign or teach something else they're not certified to teach just to make room for a new coach.  

In short, the incoming coaches endorsement has to match an open position in  the same subject area.  

Ain't like it used to be, but some admins/school systems are more willing to be creative in helping a new coach bring some of his own guys.  

Agreed. It cuts a lot of different ways to because on one hand these HVA/Bearden jobs are large faculties and the average person may assume that would provide a lot of room to wiggle but jobs in big schools like that can be political regardless of having to hire someone new in. Are there any assistants on staff at HVA that could take over?That may be a direction they are weary of all things considered.

3 minutes ago, PostingGawd39 said:

Yes great point orc. However, it's been done in KCS schools before to simply make up a position or title for a new HC. Something like Grad coach, discipline administrator, ISS "teacher", etc. If the admin of the school are willing to give the school support in academics it seems possible

yep for sure, some admins are more willing to get creative in trying to make things happen that will benefit athletics.  

But during staffing each school year, principles are given a number of certified teachers that they can have working in the building.  So if they choose to "create a new position", often times they have to eliminate an existing position.  Some years a principle is told you will have to cut x number of teachers.  Or they may be told they get to hire an additional x number of teachers.  In years where they have to stay the same, if they were to create a position, they also have to eliminate a position, meaning let somebody go to make room for the coach.   There are certainly a lot of moving parts in play.  

Edited by oridgecat

I am going to go against the grain here (typical, ask my wife) and say that they should take a hard look at a specific individual on staff that has invested at that school in multiple sports. He's young, excited, knowledgable, been around quality football in the past, kids love him. There is a lot to figure out here, but this is a quality job and the right guy could take this place to new levels. It starts with development (youth leagues & weight room) if that is not priority #1, you are wrong.

8 minutes ago, LEFTYKNOX said:

I am going to go against the grain here (typical, ask my wife) and say that they should take a hard look at a specific individual on staff that has invested at that school in multiple sports. He's young, excited, knowledgable, been around quality football in the past, kids love him. There is a lot to figure out here, but this is a quality job and the right guy could take this place to new levels. It starts with development (youth leagues & weight room) if that is not priority #1, you are wrong.

See...  a HC working with youth leagues is recruiting.  That would never fly in knox.

10 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

As usual Redfred/Stan the Man/czar/filmczar has missed the point once again .  

What he's trying to say Filmy is that any good program has to have a good strong youth football league in place feeding the program.  He's not saying the head coach has to be the coach of the little league teams.  

I can't speak for the other fellas you mentioned. I agree though. like I said the other day.  Feeder programs in small towns can lead to powerhouses.  I just meant that set up won't work in knox.  

2 hours ago, HTV said:

I know of a coach with a state championship on his resume that is very interested in that job, and he's also being courted for another very good job that is about to come open.  

Don't discount Bearden's job.  It has two things that you need to lay a foundation - facilities and finances.  

There will be no shortage of good applicants for that job.  

I doubt those applicants will fit with the teaching positions that will be available unless there is some turnover from the previous staff or the admin decides to move some pieces around to fit the puzzle of hiring a capable coach.  

5 minutes ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

I doubt those applicants will fit with the teaching positions that will be available unless there is some turnover from the previous staff or the admin decides to move some pieces around to fit the puzzle of hiring a capable coach.  

They don't wanna be great! I'm just trying to be like Mike!:roflol:

16 minutes ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

"Turnover from the previous staff" is typically unlikely for faculty coaches. They usually either stay and coach with the new guy. Or stay put and choose not to coach. Either way is fine. These guys can't just quit their real job over a coaching stipend.

Edited by FHSAlum12
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, edwardblake said:

Agreed. It cuts a lot of different ways to because on one hand these HVA/Bearden jobs are large faculties and the average person may assume that would provide a lot of room to wiggle but jobs in big schools like that can be political regardless of having to hire someone new in. Are there any assistants on staff at HVA that could take over?That may be a direction they are weary of all things considered.

I would be surprised if they filled the HC position from within. I’m not saying that there aren’t qualified guys there, but I think the football community there is ready for  new direction and are in desperate need of a culture change. I think they hire from outside for sure. 

• Upvote 1