Potter out at HVA

HTV

Wish him well.  Good guy, I think he just bit off way more than he could chew for his first head coaching job.   Who will be the next HC??  

HV is a great school and community, knox county schools just doesn’t make it an easy system to be competitive in large sports. Jones did a heck of a job getting that program at HV started.  Maybe one day someone will appreciate what he did to get that program where it was when Potter took over.  I wish the next HC best of luck  

20 minutes ago, Bluegreymom said:

Definitely no surprise but a little sad for him as he’s a good guy and cares about the kids. I know that doesn’t equal getting to stay on. You gotta produce the wins as well. Certainly wish him well. 

Don't disagree with you at all.  And with his relationship with the Principal, that couldn't have been an easy decision either way.  

But unfortunately in this day and time of social media and pressure to win, being a good guy isn't enough.  Got to win games.  

Still seems a bit unusual for a Coach to get “fired” or “let go” In this world of High School football, especially in East TN/Knox county.  Too bad Knox County can’t compete with surrounding counties PAY for coaches and teachers.  Seems like that would open up their applicant pool quite a bit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Digger20 said:

Still seems a bit unusual for a Coach to get “fired” or “let go” In this world of High School football, especially in East TN/Knox county.  Too bad Knox County can’t compete with surrounding counties PAY for coaches and teachers.  Seems like that would open up their applicant pool quite a bit. 

Unusual?  

No, not really.  Coaches resign and are let go every year.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, LG1977 said:

My prediction is Minor (DC) at Oak Ridge.  Was told this by an alumni from there that is good friends with him. (Sorry I don't recall his first name)

I went to see Oak Ridge and Maryville scrimmage game in early fall and went out on the field after and walked right through their team all gathering just outside the gate on the field. I was very impressed with the size and and how athletic these young men were to have such a bad season as they had. If you couldn't have won with those kids then something is wrong. HVA don't need to go from the oven to the frying pan.

As I said, there is so much pressure to win in high school football these days.  That's going to make for a tough time in finding a proved winner who will be willing to take the job at HVA right now.  Likely see another young guy taking his first head coaching job, or an older coach with moderate head coaching success, IMO.  

7 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I went to see Oak Ridge and Maryville scrimmage game in early fall and went out on the field after and walked right through their team all gathering just outside the gate on the field. I was very impressed with the size and and how athletic these young men were to have such a bad season as they had. If you couldn't have won with those kids then something is wrong. HVA don't need to go from the oven to the frying pan.

No offense Barn, but the defense isn’t why we have sucked a$& this year. The defense has been good enough to keep us in every game we’ve played. Powell and Greeneville could’ve scored 60-70 on us if we had a bad defense. Hard to believe neither did, especially Powell, because our offense went 3 & out all night in that game. A huge credit to our D just to hold both under 40, if you take all that into account.

Not saying Miner would be a great HC or anything, but I could think of a lot worse choices, and being our defensive coordinator, he most definitely isn’t the reason we’re 3-7 right now. If he got a good OC to go with him, I could see him doing good things eventually. The only fallback if he did go there for HVA would be that if the OR job ever opened back up, he’d probably be gone in a heartbeat, being OR is his alma mater. That’s if the OR job was ever offered to him, which is not a guarantee, even if it were to open up anytime soon.

Edited by SweetScience