5A Playoffs - Region 3 vs. Region 4

osunut2

This game is definitely gonna be a very hard test for the Cherokees. Powell’s passing attack and size are gonna be tough for us for sure. McMinn probably needs to play as much of a mistake free game it can and maybe get a key turnover or two. One thing you will get from every McMinn team is full go on every play. Effort won’t be their problem 

On 11/9/2021 at 4:00 PM, BrushCreek said:

Guys as a McMinn fan I wish we had discipline. We may lead Tennessee in unsportsmanlike penalties. I would never point out some kid in high school but one in particular on our team lacks discipline. It showed up big against Oak Ridge. There is little chance we beat a good team in Powell and have stupid penalties. We need to be near perfect in this one. Much respect to Powell and GO TRIBE

Powell has their issues with unsportsmanlike penalties, BC you may be 2nd on that list. Come to think about it, you may be 3rd, my Central team is there somewhere. There's no excuse for it. MAKE THE PLAY, GET UP AND GET YOUR BUTT BACK TO THE HUDDLE AND KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.  Oh, but that's not the cool way to play in this day and time. Fine examples we have in the pro ranks these days!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dawgs82 said:

Powell has their issues with unsportsmanlike penalties, BC you may be 2nd on that list. Come to think about it, you may be 3rd, my Central team is there somewhere. There's no excuse for it. MAKE THE PLAY, GET UP AND GET YOUR BUTT BACK TO THE HUDDLE AND KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.  Oh, but that's not the cool way to play in this day and time. Fine examples we have in the pro ranks these days!

Completely agree, dawg. I wasn't cut out to be a coach, especially in this era. My gut reaction every time I see that is to grab the kid by the facemask and stick him on the bench for awhile, regardless of who he is. There's just no excuse for that behavior, especially when you see that week after week from a team. That's systemic. You can't be a "player's coach" who essentially allows (i.e., encourages) that stuff and not expect to see a few flags each and every week. And with very few exceptions, most teams can't overcome those self-inflected wounds every single game. I just don't understand how that benefits the team in the long run, especially at the prep level.

This is just one example, but everyone was complaining about the taunting call made in the Steelers-Bears game a few nights ago that was highly questionable. The only reason it was a questionable call is because the league has generally allowed those behaviors - in this case, a spinning kick celebration and the subsequent stare down. Apparently there is a "line" you aren't supposed to cross, but that's a very subjective/qualitative rule. And when you allow certain behaviors, that just blurs the "line." I'm not saying that they shouldn't be having fun out there, but some of this on-field stuff is just so unnecessary.

My dad played for Woody Hayes as a walk-on, and a personality like Woody's wouldn't make it 2-3 seasons in today's coaching environment. I'm not saying that we need to return to that extreme, but it seems like we've gravitated too far from that.

1 hour ago, BrushCreek said:

Dawg it’s unfortunate but you are so right. A lot of these kids are emulating what they see on TV and unfortunately it’s the wrong behavior a lot of times. Win or lose have some class. Make a good play, act like you have been there done that. 

Agree 100%. It’s hard to find good role models in professional sports today….giphy.gif?cid=5e214886c9d3425e5c7001c62c

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, BrushCreek said:

Dawg it’s unfortunate but you are so right. A lot of these kids are emulating what they see on TV and unfortunately it’s the wrong behavior a lot of times. Win or lose have some class. Make a good play, act like you have been there done that. 

There's another point that comes into play. Most of our officials are in their 30's, 40's, and 50's, and somewhat old school. If a team starts getting a rep for this type thing, they will naturally start looking for it. Not faulting them, but it's just a fact of nature. One thing I saw with Coach Rosser at Central before he left was that he demanded the kids respect the other team and the officials. And if they didn't, he would climb down their throats. Play was over, the man with the ball ran or handed it to the official. If you wanted to celebrate, it was done on the sideline, period! I'm afraid we've (Central) has gotten away from that in some respects. Sorry, know this is a Region 3/4 site, just needed to chime in on the penalties.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dawgs82 said:

There's another point that comes into play. Most of our officials are in their 30's, 40's, and 50's, and somewhat old school. If a team starts getting a rep for this type thing, they will naturally start looking for it. Not faulting them, but it's just a fact of nature. One thing I saw with Coach Rosser at Central before he left was that he demanded the kids respect the other team and the officials. And if they didn't, he would climb down their throats. Play was over, the man with the ball ran or handed it to the official. If you wanted to celebrate, it was done on the sideline, period! I'm afraid we've (Central) has gotten away from that in some respects. Sorry, know this is a Region 3/4 site, just needed to chime in on the penalties.

I don’t see anything wrong with celebrating big plays on the field with your teammates. Nothing outlandish of course but kids should be allowed to get excited for each other. As long as it is NOT degrading to opposing teams or players, I see nothing wrong with. We gotta stop taking the fun out of football in that regard.

Edited by KnoxVil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KnoxVil said:

I don’t see anything wrong with celebrating big plays on the field with your teammates. Nothing outlandish of course but kids should be allowed to get excited for each other. As long as it is degrading to opposing teams or players, I see nothing wrong with. We gotta stop taking the fun out of football in that regard.

And there's the problem! Kids today think they need to turn and let the opposing player know they just beat them. Kid already knows you beat him. And Knox, I know you meant (not degrading) in your statement. There's a fine line, but if you in anyway make any gesture towards the opposing player after beating him, you should be penalized. That should not be part of the "fun". Celebrate with your teammates, I totally agree.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dawgs82 said:

And there's the problem! Kids today think they need to turn and let the opposing player know they just beat them. Kid already knows you beat him. And Knox, I know you meant (not degrading) in your statement. There's a fine line, but if you in anyway make any gesture towards the opposing player after beating him, you should be penalized. That should not be part of the "fun". Celebrate with your teammates, I totally agree.

Yes, I did mean NOT. I fixed it. Thanks