5A Playoffs - Region 3 vs. Region 4

osunut2

52 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

How do you get a HS team to that point?    And I'm being serious.    I have seen Boone have 3 illegal procedure calls in a row.       But it's not just Boone, most high school teams just seem to be lacking in what one would think is kindergarten level stuff....    Like the play starts on 3, so why is somebody moving on 2 ?!?!?!             What are they doing different at McMinn that 90% of the other high schools are not doing?

Blazer, I don't know.  But yeah, it is really frustrating.  Our team likes to let the play clock run down, take a time out to avoid delay of game, then, get an illegal procedure penalty on the play after the time out.  lol.  We have done it all year!  And I'm serious.  

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

How do you get a HS team to that point?    And I'm being serious.    I have seen Boone have 3 illegal procedure calls in a row.       But it's not just Boone, most high school teams just seem to be lacking in what one would think is kindergarten level stuff....    Like the play starts on 3, so why is somebody moving on 2 ?!?!?!             What are they doing different at McMinn that 90% of the other high schools are not doing?

It comes down to discipline and consequences for your actions. The best teams will rep plays and cadence until they can do it without even thinking, it becomes instinct. Then those players that made the mistakes on Friday will be running after practice on Monday, and i don't mean a lap around the field, i mean running until it hurts. The next game when you line up there's no way in hades that kid is moving early. And repeat offenders won't have to worry about future penalties because they are on the sidelines watching proper execution. It's the same mentality that our armed services use in basic training. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OldandBusted said:

It comes down to discipline and consequences for your actions. The best teams will rep plays and cadence until they can do it without even thinking, it becomes instinct. Then those players that made the mistakes on Friday will be running after practice on Monday, and i don't mean a lap around the field, i mean running until it hurts. The next game when you line up there's no way in hades that kid is moving early. And repeat offenders won't have to worry about future penalties because they are on the sidelines watching proper execution. It's the same mentality that our armed services use in basic training. 

Yeah, that's the way it used to be.  Not now, kids for the most part these days aren't willing to pay those consequences.  these days they will just go do something else, it's just not that important to them.  They'll quit before they "run til it hurts".   Sad but true

Edited by oridgecat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

Blazer, I don't know.  But yeah, it is really frustrating.  Our team likes to let the play clock run down, take a time out to avoid delay of game, then, get an illegal procedure penalty on the play after the time out.  lol.  We have done it all year!  And I'm serious.  

You have no idea how many times I have seen Boone come out of a timeout and get an illegal procedure flag.      And to be fair a lot of other schools do it too.         I am not a coach and never will be because I simply would not stand for something like that, it is inexcusable and I don't care what the little snowflake parents think.

There's no reason for a team to get illegal procedure and holding calls over and over 10 games into a season. The player that has these problems needs to be sitting on the bench not standing on the sidelines. And if he can't stay sitting, send him to the locker room. If you're losing it doesn't matter. But you will get their attention! If they quit at least they won't be causing penalties. 

11 minutes ago, bounder said:

There's no reason for a team to get illegal procedure and holding calls over and over 10 games into a season. The player that has these problems needs to be sitting on the bench not standing on the sidelines. And if he can't stay sitting, send him to the locker room. If you're losing it doesn't matter. But you will get their attention! If they quit at least they won't be causing penalties. 

Wasted time outs cause you can't get a play in.  Penalties coming out of timeouts.  Kids on the field that don't know the offense.  It was a brutal season.  Bottom line is this stuff happened all year from game 1 to game 11.  Hard to blame a kid, that's all coaching, or lack thereof. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bounder said:

Bounder, holding happens because you get beat, the guy you blocked is quicker than you and beat you to the spot. Teams with slower players or players that don't want to move their feet to get the angle on the guy they are blocking are going to hold. On a side note, you see a lot of colleges going after linemen with a wrestling background and understand angles and leverage. But I agree with you, by week 10 if you can't do it, you need to sit, unless you have no depth.

48 minutes ago, dawgs82 said:

Bounder, holding happens because you get beat, the guy you blocked is quicker than you and beat you to the spot. Teams with slower players or players that don't want to move their feet to get the angle on the guy they are blocking are going to hold. On a side note, you see a lot of colleges going after linemen with a wrestling background and understand angles and leverage. But I agree with you, by week 10 if you can't do it, you need to sit, unless you have no depth.

We had less than zero depth in the trenches.  The reasons that are numerous besides normal losses to injury.  But that horse has been beat to death.  Anyway, we had 2  lineman (70 and 77) that never came off the field, starting both offensive and defensive lines and played the entire game for 11 weeks.  In 6A football!   That's just crazy.

Edited by oridgecat

Guys as a McMinn fan I wish we had discipline. We may lead Tennessee in unsportsmanlike penalties. I would never point out some kid in high school but one in particular on our team lacks discipline. It showed up big against Oak Ridge. There is little chance we beat a good team in Powell and have stupid penalties. We need to be near perfect in this one. Much respect to Powell and GO TRIBE

Guys I know the problems with our team as well as anyone else. We haven't had enough linemen all year long. We've been our on worst emery with penalties, wiping out good plays, calling back touchdowns. But that's all over now, move into the weight room and let's start next year!

WILDCAT PRIDE 

On 11/9/2021 at 4:00 PM, BrushCreek said:

Guys as a McMinn fan I wish we had discipline. We may lead Tennessee in unsportsmanlike penalties. I would never point out some kid in high school but one in particular on our team lacks discipline. It showed up big against Oak Ridge. There is little chance we beat a good team in Powell and have stupid penalties. We need to be near perfect in this one. Much respect to Powell and GO TRIBE

Has McMinn faced a D line with the size Powell offers?