Central @ Daniel Boone-Round 2

madhatter2269

37 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Boone gave up a lot of points to a lot of teams, but when the offense is throwing pick 6's like there is no tomorrow, fumbling inside the 20, etc...    Yeah the defense is going to give up a lot of points.    Boone defense vs. Eliz defense:   Eliz beat Boone 17-14 so in terms of points the "D"'s were about the same.    The only common opponent was Science Hill, the Toppers scored 17 on Boone and 15 on Elizabethton, so again not much difference there, plus one of SH's touchdowns was a fluke blocked punt in the end zone, not the fault of the Boone defense.     As far as Greeneville, they made it to the 3rd round for the first time in school history in 1998, 4th round in 2000, then in 2002/2003 made it to the 3rd round, so I guess we could back it up 10 years and say Greeneville started getting on everybody's radar 20 years ago... So what is Greeneville doing differently than all the other NET schools (besides Elizabethton)?   The Devils are doing something right that keeps them very relevant in 4A football, something DB, Science Hill, Boone, Tenn High, etc. are NOT doing.

I know it sounds cliche but hard work, running the same system from pee wees up, good coaching (Pee Wee Up), and Community support.  I dare to say no one outworks the Greene Devils when it comes to weight training, speed training, proper nutrition, ect. If your not playing another sport you are training.  A lot of former players are now coaching their Kids in Pee Wee and running the same system the middle and high school is running since most played under Ballard when he was an OC under Zeller and McCurry.  They know what it takes to build up to be a Greene Devil.  Greeneville in General loves their Football and community support is huge wether that being providing pre game meals, buying Greene Devil Cards or Strawberries, and showing up and supporting their team and community.  It's a Culture thing now so little kids growing up in Greeneville want to be the next Ballard, Hite, Gillespie, Gudger, Dabbs, etc.

• Like 1

There's always a lot going on behind that scenes that no one knows about- you don't know many of kids were fighting sickness (not covid), and how banged up they were by the end of the season, who was saying "don't give me the ball" in the middle of the game. You also had a VERY young team. 5 seniors on Boone's team.  Only a handful of returning starters. So when faced with man- players on the other side of the ball, ya it got rough. But they didn't quit. most of the starters stayed in 'til the end and kept their heads up. They pulled out a great season given their task.  

Boone needs to change a lot from the ground up with its football program for any kind of future success. Go to any grass cutter game for Elizabethton or Greeneville and see the support those little kids get. How they run out of the helmet with the players on Friday and can't wait to be Cyclone when they grow up. Heck, Gray couldn't even field enough players for an 11-12 year old team this year. So if they didn't go play for JR Toppers or another league, you've got a 1-2 year gap of not playing before they hit middle school.  

There's been complaints that Science Hill's program has become too commercialized and it's driving fans away- maybe. But they have a multi-million dollar field house where as Boone players have a big bag they put their gear in, and a hook to hang it on in the field house. During half time they walk all the way to the gym so there's enough room to spread out b/c of Covid. No one transfers to Boone for football... at least not that I know of in the last few years. We don't have anything flashy and fancy to draw in anyone except our own, home-grown boys who give it their all every week then old-timers get on here and complain about how they play. 

I have faith that the next couple of years are going to be historically good for Boone football. Until then, on to basketball. 

1 hour ago, BystanderMom said:

There's always a lot going on behind that scenes that no one knows about- you don't know many of kids were fighting sickness (not covid), and how banged up they were by the end of the season, who was saying "don't give me the ball" in the middle of the game. You also had a VERY young team. 5 seniors on Boone's team.  Only a handful of returning starters. So when faced with man- players on the other side of the ball, ya it got rough. But they didn't quit. most of the starters stayed in 'til the end and kept their heads up. They pulled out a great season given their task.  

Boone needs to change a lot from the ground up with its football program for any kind of future success. Go to any grass cutter game for Elizabethton or Greeneville and see the support those little kids get. How they run out of the helmet with the players on Friday and can't wait to be Cyclone when they grow up. Heck, Gray couldn't even field enough players for an 11-12 year old team this year. So if they didn't go play for JR Toppers or another league, you've got a 1-2 year gap of not playing before they hit middle school.  

There's been complaints that Science Hill's program has become too commercialized and it's driving fans away- maybe. But they have a multi-million dollar field house where as Boone players have a big bag they put their gear in, and a hook to hang it on in the field house. During half time they walk all the way to the gym so there's enough room to spread out b/c of Covid. No one transfers to Boone for football... at least not that I know of in the last few years. We don't have anything flashy and fancy to draw in anyone except our own, home-grown boys who give it their all every week then old-timers get on here and complain about how they play. 

I have faith that the next couple of years are going to be historically good for Boone football. Until then, on to basketball. 

I have seen past Boone teams get way down in a game and just totally quit.     Not this year's team, as you mentioned, and that is definitely something to build on.       As one of the other posters said above, Greeneville is so successful because football is in their blood as little kids, and that is definitely lacking at Boone, I have no idea how to really change that.    With most of the defensive players coming back next year that side of the ball should be outstanding.     If we can just muster up some offense it might be a good 2022 season.

46 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

I have seen past Boone teams get way down in a game and just totally quit.     Not this year's team, as you mentioned, and that is definitely something to build on.       As one of the other posters said above, Greeneville is so successful because football is in their blood as little kids, and that is definitely lacking at Boone, I have no idea how to really change that.    With most of the defensive players coming back next year that side of the ball should be outstanding.     If we can just muster up some offense it might be a good 2022 season.

what grade is the Jenkins boy that’s your QB? He was really loose with the ball when he ran but when he threw it he could sling it with accuracy and strength. I thought he was a good QB.

1 hour ago, madhatter2269 said:

what grade is the Jenkins boy that’s your QB? He was really loose with the ball when he ran but when he threw it he could sling it with accuracy and strength. I thought he was a good QB.

He's a sophomore.  Athletic but needs some coaching on techniques like keeping the ball higher and closer to his body when scrambling. Just needs some experience to know when to throw it away or when to tuck and run- that was a problem Friday since their linebackers were in the backfield so much.  There were about 5-6 players who were sophomores who did well this season- Riner, Hamlin, Blankenship, Utsman and Murphey and Jenkins. So next year's team should be strong.

5 hours ago, BystanderMom said:

I’ve thought this for the past however many years, but it has honestly surprised me that Boone has never had an upgrade of facilities.  Now, we can talk building, again, another middle school, finishing one up last year, etc.  I thought Gray had more alumni which in turn I thought the quarterback club would have more $$$ for upgrades.  It’s hard to ask for money from the county when everyone is in the position they are in.

was I hearing right that both schools are getting turf and new home sides for next year, or has that hit a snag?

2 hours ago, BystanderMom said:

He's a sophomore.  Athletic but needs some coaching on techniques like keeping the ball higher and closer to his body when scrambling. Just needs some experience to know when to throw it away or when to tuck and run- that was a problem Friday since their linebackers were in the backfield so much.  There were about 5-6 players who were sophomores who did well this season- Riner, Hamlin, Blankenship, Utsman and Murphey and Jenkins. So next year's team should be strong.

Don't forget Trout as well, excellent cornerback.          As far as Jenkins, he was running for his life half the night against Central, so even though he made some costly mistakes we can't put it all on him... where was the blocking??      And with Central bringing the house on pass plays how could our coaching staff not call a screen pass now and then?

1 hour ago, formerblazer said:

I’ve thought this for the past however many years, but it has honestly surprised me that Boone has never had an upgrade of facilities.  Now, we can talk building, again, another middle school, finishing one up last year, etc.  I thought Gray had more alumni which in turn I thought the quarterback club would have more $$$ for upgrades.  It’s hard to ask for money from the county when everyone is in the position they are in.

was I hearing right that both schools are getting turf and new home sides for next year, or has that hit a snag?

Yes, the county voted to upgrade to turf for both schools- not sure when it's set to happen. I'd rather keep the grass and upgrade to a bigger weight room and a nice field house but I guess they'll take what they can get.

38 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Don't forget Trout as well, excellent cornerback.          As far as Jenkins, he was running for his life half the night against Central, so even though he made some costly mistakes we can't put it all on him... where was the blocking??      And with Central bringing the house on pass plays how could our coaching staff not call a screen pass now and then?

Yes, Trout's awesome. He's a JR. Great JR class full of talent. I think they'll have about 20 seniors next year if they all return. 

7 hours ago, Swipes said:

I know it sounds cliche but hard work, running the same system from pee wees up, good coaching (Pee Wee Up), and Community support.  I dare to say no one outworks the Greene Devils when it comes to weight training, speed training, proper nutrition, ect. If your not playing another sport you are training.  A lot of former players are now coaching their Kids in Pee Wee and running the same system the middle and high school is running since most played under Ballard when he was an OC under Zeller and McCurry.  They know what it takes to build up to be a Greene Devil.  Greeneville in General loves their Football and community support is huge wether that being providing pre game meals, buying Greene Devil Cards or Strawberries, and showing up and supporting their team and community.  It's a Culture thing now so little kids growing up in Greeneville want to be the next Ballard, Hite, Gillespie, Gudger, Dabbs, etc.

A well funded, highly organized, tightly monitored and well coached youth league system is the backbone of just about any highly successful program. 

Excerpt from the Johnson City Press:
https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/six-observations-from-fridays-second-round-games/article_1ce7c5bc-44ab-11ec-841b-97c8a7d80b7c.html

WASHINGTON COUNTY SWAN SONG

Daniel Boone and David Crockett retired their 2021 seasons at the same time.

Neither team was expected to win against perennial power Knoxville Central, which whipped Boone, and powerful Knoxville West, which easily handled Crockett. The two Washington County teams were down by a combined 62-0 at halftime.

But the losses didn’t knock the luster off these programs. Over the last six years they’ve been to the playoffs a combined 12 straight times with a record of 7-12. By comparison, they combined for a 7-12 postseason mark over the first 45 years of their existence.

Boone and Crockett have established their programs and more good things should come in the future.

22 hours ago, BystanderMom said:

Yes, the county voted to upgrade to turf for both schools- not sure when it's set to happen. I'd rather keep the grass and upgrade to a bigger weight room and a nice field house but I guess they'll take what they can get.

I’ll say this, turf is a game changer when it comes to efficiency in practices.  Looks great, good for feeder programs, etc.  I’ve always loved our stadium.  Great Friday night feeling in Gray.

I think it’s time for alumni and local businesses  to start digging deep and build a new field house/weight room.  We had some good memories in the old field house, but it’s time for some state of the art facilities.  Central office can only do so much.

• Like 1