Quarterfinal (Round 3) Covington @ Dyersburg

CHARGERFAN

These two teams went toe-to-toe in regulation, then Dyersburg edged Covington by one on a missed extra point after a bad snap.

My Chargers had our chances, but two lost fumbles and an int thrown for a pick-6 were more than we could overcome. We shot ourselves in the foot too many times to get the win. 

I’ll pull for Dyersburg to beat East Nashville. They have one thing that the Chargers have not had this year - a passing game. They are still run-oriented, but can complete a pass or two. Go Trojans, win and advance to the finals.

16 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

These two teams went toe-to-toe in regulation, then Dyersburg edged Covington by one on a missed extra point after a bad snap.

My Chargers had our chances, but two lost fumbles and an int thrown for a pick-6 were more than we could overcome. We shot ourselves in the foot too many times to get the win. 

I’ll pull for Dyersburg to beat East Nashville. They have one thing that the Chargers have not had this year - a passing game. They are still run-oriented, but can complete a pass or two. Go Trojans, win and advance to the finals.

Class! 

2 hours ago, 00Chargers said:

I’m sorry, this ball game is on coach. I’ve said it all week, heck all month, we had to play Fayne at QB to win. Then we run the clock out with over 2 minutes on the clock to play for OT….and Dyersburg has the better kicker….not the smartest play. Heck, try something, a trick play or something. Congrats to Dyersburg! They played a heck of a game. I hope they go to the ship. Most frustrating I’ve been in a while. 

Sleep on this and delete in the morning.. What’s frustrating is going 2-8 and 4-6 your junior and senior year. Be grateful for who you got and the product that gets put on the field year in, year out. Covington has made it to the quarter finals 15 TIMES since 1997. More teams than not are eating popcorn in the stands come November.

ps so there’s no confusion or question who this came from - Logan Wall 

Edited by ChargerFootball

48 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

Look, I’m a fan of football. I can have displeasure with a game plan. I’ve always liked coach and I know he’s a very good coach. We all know that. This forum is for discussion and I’m stating an opinion that many others may not have. It’s not social media like Facebook or instagram and I don’t think any of the kids have it, let me know if I’m wrong. But, I have seen brilliant game plans from this staff, I’ve been to just about every game for the last 10 or so years and appreciate them very much.

I am definitely not a coach and I have the utmost respect for what they do. Like I said, I’m a fan with an opinion. I truly think we would’ve won that game if we played Fayne from the shotgun, that’s it. That’s my non-coaching, fan opinion. It’s not personal and I’m sure not one of those coaches gives a crap about my opinion. That’s why there are threads such as these, for fans to discuss, vent, praise, and talk crap. I will definitely edit the post because it’s not on anyone and I understand that.

And Mr. Wall, I appreciate your contributions to the team both as a player and the leader or the Gridiron. I will continue to support this team and the gridiron ( and the coaching staff) in the future with my contributions. 

I didn’t see any problem with the game plan. The problem was in the execution. Two lost fumbles and a pick-6 pass interception are gonna get you beat most games. If not for the stout Covington defense, this game could have been one-sided in favor of the Trojans. 

I’m proud of our team and what they accomplished. I’m not going to be negative. Last night, Dyersburg was just a little better than we were. Given how some on Coach T were touting Dyersburg this year as a “super” team before and during the season, I think that our Chargers gave them everything they wanted in both games this year. We have a real rival in our region now and I look  forward to years of battles with them. Remember that next year they have to come play at our house. 

Congratulations and thanks to our seniors. I thank you for the enjoyable hours I spent watching y’all wearing the Purple and Gold. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 2:33 PM, fanoffootball2013 said:

Great game by two good teams. Could have gone either way. Covington made to many mistakes. I know it’s far off but I look forward to seeing Dyersburg next year in Covington! 

Anybody have stats on the game? 

Today’s Leader has Covington with 223 yards on 62 carries. Yet to see anything official on Dburg but Kirby said in his quote that the Chargers “dominated the stats in every category but the most important.”

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

Today’s Leader has Covington with 223 yards on 62 carries. Yet to see anything official on Dburg but Kirby said in his quote that the Chargers “dominated the stats in every category but the most important.”

I don't know what Dburgs stats were but I don't see how the stats could be "dominating" either way. Both defenses played lights out.