OAKLAND!!!!!

FlagFootball

16 minutes ago, JSamson7 said:

'64, I know you tin heads are bad at math sometimes but I'll let you slide. 

LOL! 1964...really?! The murvul team that played them boys from Vestal!??  Young High School destroyed that murvul team in the Optimist Bowl in South Knoxville. Fact! Look it up. 

I find it funny of all the teams that the rebels want to self promote to state champions, that you'd atleast found one that you did not get donkey stomped by the school just a county over.....:lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

LOL! 1964...really?! The murvul team that played them boys from Vestal!??  Young High School destroyed that murvul team in the Optimist Bowl in South Knoxville. Fact! Look it up. 

I find it funny of all the teams that the rebels want to self promote to state champions, that you'd atleast found one that you did not get donkey stomped by the school just a county over.....:lol:

When you have 1 6A team in your classification to beat to win a state championship and fail miserably, I guess you’ll take anything you can get….:lol:

Edited by F5seekshelter

9 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Last I checked we already have 18.

Maryville only has 17 state championships.  1964 is self-proclaimed and is not recognized.  The TSSAA did not begin recognizing state championships until 1969.  

Think about this for one second.  I see that Cheatham County High School had several undefeated seasons and bowl wins in the 50s and 60s, under Hall of Fame coach Ralph Spangler, so I want to claim those as "state championships".  Do I get to claim those as state championships even though a state playoff didn't even exist back then?  NO!

Maryville wasn't even unbeaten in 1964.  How could they have a blemish on their record, not play a playoff format, and still claim a state title?  

I've said it for years.  A lot of you Maryville fans are so used to the 00s in 4A football against Hillsboro, Melrose, Maplewood, Etc.  Now that you are no longer winning state championships annually it drives some of you all absolutely crazy.  Your ego cannot accept the fact that you no longer get to win a Gold Ball each and every year.  

Good Luck in 2022.  I promise you though that just because Oakland loses some players it's not a given that you're going to win a state title in '22.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, howdoitknow said:

Maryville only has 17 state championships.  1964 is self-proclaimed and is not recognized.  The TSSAA did not begin recognizing state championships until 1969.  

Think about this for one second.  I see that Cheatham County High School had several undefeated seasons and bowl wins in the 50s and 60s, under Hall of Fame coach Ralph Spangler, so I want to claim those as "state championships".  Do I get to claim those as state championships even though a state playoff didn't even exist back then?  NO!

Maryville wasn't even unbeaten in 1964.  How could they have a blemish on their record, not play a playoff format, and still claim a state title?  

I've said it for years.  A lot of you Maryville fans are so used to the 00s in 4A football against Hillsboro, Melrose, Maplewood, Etc.  Now that you are no longer winning state championships annually it drives some of you all absolutely crazy.  Your ego cannot accept the fact that you no longer get to win a Gold Ball each and every year.  

Good Luck in 2022.  I promise you though that just because Oakland loses some players it's not a given that you're going to win a state title in '22.  

howdoitknow-ITALL when the Associated Press (AP) awards you the #1 ranking at the end of the regular season in 1964 it is NOT "self-proclaimed". It was done that way through the polling system, since there was no playoff system. That award was made as it was done then at the end of the regular season, much like college football was done then. (see the 1951 UT football team, that lost their bowl game to Maryland 28-13 but I have not yet seen UT to not claim a national championship in 1951). So I guess UT's was "self proclaimed too ???

Your ego can not accept that Maryville is the winningest team in TSSAA history. It does NOT drive me "crazy" to lose to a nationally ranked Oakland team, in the highest classification in the state, nearly as much as it bothers you that MHS is successful and will continue to have success. 

Please inform yourself before making any other uninformed statements and give your vitriolic ego a rest. Again THE ASSOCIATED PRESS awarded MHS the #1 ranking in their last poll of the 1964 Tennessee high school season. WE DID NOT SELF PROCLAIM IT. And it WAS recognized by the ASSOCIATED PRESS. I hope this helps, but probably not.

Tee Hee Hee

Edited by MarevulBigGal
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, howdoitknow said:

so I guess no one before 1969 won a State Championship then ... It was an AP Championship ... I find it Hilarious that you Alcoa folk are so insecure you have to come running anytime anyone mentions Maryville ... I guess it comes from all the Butt Kickings you all get From Maryville ... Crow all you want there boys , you'll get your 3A Championship again ... but you'll still have that big fat Loss on your record just like nearly every year . 

8 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

Back in 1964 the AP declared the state champion the second week after the season was over, On the last week of the season Memphis Christian Brothers was by far out in front and got upset by a rival Memphis school in the last game which put Maryville on top. Two weeks before that season was over Kingsport was in the second position only to drop behind Maryville over a bad game the following week. They only allowed 20 points during a 9 game season and played Chattanooga Hixon in their last game on October 29th. The game was played with Knox Young on Thanksgiving November 26 four weeks later. A big part of the team was already playing basketball for three weeks and were splitting time doing both. The AP back then voted before any type bowl games just like Tennessee was voted National Champions in 1951 only to lose to Maryland 28-13 in the Sugar Bowl but you don't hear anyone wanting to say otherwise. I know plenty of guys that played on that team and they all have told me had basketball not interrupted the season and not playing for a whole month most felt there would have been a different outcome. One of the guys I run into all the time told me the uniforms hung in the locker room for three weeks before they even practiced for that game. I know quite a bit about the history of Blount and Knox County all the way from the beginning. I also have done research for over 20 years on the history of all these teams including Alcoa even going back to when they were known as the Red Tornadoes. I don't agree with so many classifications and feel four is enough and has nothing to do with either Maryville or Alcoa but the damage that it has caused every week playing in front of empty seats.

7 hours ago, pepvol said:

so I guess no one before 1969 won a State Championship then ... It was an AP Championship ... I find it Hilarious that you Alcoa folk are so insecure you have to come running anytime anyone mentions Maryville ... I guess it comes from all the Butt Kickings you all get From Maryville ... Crow all you want there boys , you'll get your 3A Championship again ... but you'll still have that big fat Loss on your record just like nearly every year . 

I guess Vestal needs to put up a sign that reads : "1964 National Champs - Beat the AP #1 Team like a drum"

:lol:

Also Brag all ya want, Lil Alcoa with their 650 students gives big boy football murvul all they want with their 6A, 1800+ plus students.  The gap is closing and you know it! And Alcoa will continue to close that gap. Be ready....Alcoa coming to your house and coming home with the win!:thumb:

One last thing....can you say Twenty! 20!!!:mrgreen:

image.jpeg.1b23a14ea9d921acd11de76808572eca.jpeg