State Tournament

CuriousParent67

21 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

There is a huge amount of truth to selecting the right level.  I can name quite a few young men right now who are very good wrestlers but do not belong in D1.  Their college records, or lack thereof, paint the picture.  If wrestling was truly a secondary consideration to the education they felt they could receive at their D1 choice then so be it but it seems like a tough road to walk.

Side note, I can't believe how tough college wrestling really is.  It is mind blowing, just mind blowing, to watch kids who were so good within the state and yet can't put together two wins in a college season.

Most  high school coaches don’t realize how tough it is till they have a athlete go through it, and talk about the experience with them. They know their athletes a stud in state but they don’t understand that the jump to college is like middle school is to high school it’s tremendous on any level. There are no scrubs on the three toughest divisions. D1 is a Hugh commitment, but if you don’t pick the right school you will look like your a scrub even if your not. It’s all about practice partners and coaching staff. On the college level if  a program isn’t producing AAs and that’s your goal you may not want to sign with a college that hasn’t had one in over 10 years. They need to know how to get you there. If a D1 isn’t top 15 and produces AAs in recent years your just going to say you went period it’s a harsh fact but you need to be an absolute stand out to AA at a program that isn’t at least top 20 D1. Though same goes for any other level in college.  

D1- commitment above all other factors even school. You choose your major based on how it works around your wrestling. You don’t go home in summers you train. A day in D1 is three practices morning weight lift, a one on one, and then normal practice. 

NAIA/D2- I group these cause they are the same level. Multiple time state placers and champs who do not want to commit their who life to it. This division is tough but the training is just twice a day. One on one, and main practice and summer training is also not as intense or as long sometimes can be optional. 

Edited by Nextlevelwreetling

13 hours ago, Nextlevelwreetling said:

We absolutely do we have plenty of talent. Just about making sure the right kids sign to the right level of competition. We have a lot of kids think their D1 just cause they win a title or two that aren’t, and that’s not being mean it’s just a fact. Those that are D1 like chitum, mason, and older dupil who are nationally ranked and compete well. mason-VT chitum-Minnesota  will surly do well or have a good shot to cause they choose the right program too. Can’t go to a D1 program that’s not producing AA’s and expect to do it just not reality if you want to be successful once in college got to sign to a team and a coaching staff that knows how to get you to the podium…

absolutely agree on picking the right program. Brayden Palmer started at Clarion and didn’t go anywhere. Xferred to Chatt and just in year 1 he’s been every bit a top 15-20 guy at 133. I wouldn’t be shocked at all if he ends up on the podium in the next couple of years

43 minutes ago, Bump11 said:

absolutely agree on picking the right program. Brayden Palmer started at Clarion and didn’t go anywhere. Xferred to Chatt and just in year 1 he’s been every bit a top 15-20 guy at 133. I wouldn’t be shocked at all if he ends up on the podium in the next couple of years

Brayden is the current standout on UTC’s team. Last ranking had him 19th that’s a move up from 22 from previous ranking. His trend up is good to see I hope your right love to have the dry spell broken for UTC. Between him and Cooper at VT I hope to see TN get an AA (D1 level) that would be cool! 

The things that I have noticed over the last 30 years with regards to kids being successful in college wrestling:

1.  You have to stay away from serious injuries.  All college wrestlers deal with being dinged up but the serious injuries are what derail a career

2.  Kids must be very prepared academically or they are truly behind the 8 ball.  When doing 2 or 3 workouts per day the athletes are exhausted after the last practice but must then go and complete their required academic assignments.  

3.  If athletes are not very mature and don’t have great time management skills their career becomes a train wreck.  

4.  Most college kids are living on their own for the very first time and making their own decisions.  If the parents have always made the decisions the kids don’t have the necessary skills to just survive. 

• Like 2

I’m getting ready to head to Greensboro to watch the finals in NC. The semis were at 6 last night so the kids in the finals got till 4 before they wrestle today. My old school put 6 in the finals in 1a still have 5 in the consolations . Looking at the TSSAA schedule looks the will start finals at 2. The schedules look pretty close to the same to NC state tournament.

There are a couple kids looking at being 4 time state champions today.

You all do such a good job talking about wrestling on the T I just wanted to share this. I really good friend that I wrestled with in high school that was a state champion at 103 in 1993 son won states at 126 yesterday.He beat 2 state champions to win it. He finished 2nd last year at 120 as a freshman. He beat the kid that beat him the finals last year in the semifinals 13-10. He wrestled the defending state champion at 126 in the finals that beat him at regionals. He won the rematch yesterday in the finals 8-4. It was really awesome to get see this yesterday. Here a clip of him winning it he was down 4-3 in the final minute in the 3rd. 

https://www.highschoolot.com/highlights-avery-county-s-grant-reece-wins-1a-126-pound-title/20149786/

Edited by Appvol

34 minutes ago, Appvol said:

You all do such a good job talking about wrestling on the T I just wanted to share this. I really good friend that I wrestled with in high school that was a state champion at 103 in 1993 son won states at 126 yesterday.He beat 2 state champions to win it. He finished 2nd last year at 120 as a freshman. He beat the kid that beat him the finals last year in the semifinals 13-10. He wrestled the defending state champion at 126 in the finals that beat him at regionals. He won the rematch yesterday in the finals 8-4. It was really awesome to get see this yesterday. Here a clip of him winning it he was down 4-3 in the final minute in the 3rd. 

https://www.highschoolot.com/highlights-avery-county-s-grant-reece-wins-1a-126-pound-title/20149786/

Good stuff, hard work and dedication compensates for a lot, but you still have to have some athlete in you. Did you go to Avery County HS?

19 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

Good stuff, hard work and dedication compensates for a lot, but you still have to have some athlete in you. Did you go to Avery County HS?

Yes I wrestled at Avery in the early 90s. My son went to Cloudland. Couldn’t ever get him into wrestling. He is playing football at Maryville College. App St Coach good friends with the dad of Reece. It was awesome listening to him coaching from the stands behind us even though there was no way he could hear it. 

1 minute ago, Appvol said:

Yes I wrestled at Avery in the early 90s. My son went to Cloudland. Couldn’t ever get him into wrestling. He is playing football at Maryville College. App St Coach good friends with the dad of Reece. It was awesome listening to him coaching from the stands behind us even though there was no way he could hear it. 

I wrestled for Science Hill 1969 -72. We wrestled Avery at Avery in 72. I’m old and hope to get a lot older.

1 minute ago, noonesfool said:

I wrestled for Science Hill 1969 -72. We wrestled Avery at Avery in 72. I’m old and hope to get a lot older.

That’s cool. Avery wrestled Science Hill this year. Avery HWT became the 10th kid in North Carolina history to be a 4 time state champion the heaviest to ever do it. He is Avery 2nd 4 time state champion.App St head coach was the 1st for Avery.

• Upvote 1